SHARP toenails

Questions about the forum, comments, suggestions... and pretty much anything else, including other pets and interests.
Pico
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

SHARP toenails

Postby Pico » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:53 am

ok so Pico is pushing 4 months of age now and hasn't figured out how to use the wodent wheel. OR he just thinks it makes a nice chair to sit and eat on. I have read soo many older posts about things to try and....so far I still look like I was attacked by a tiny bear every night! So things we have tried--He has flagstone under his food dishes ...it covers that whole level, He has 3 different types of wheels....some with no grit trax just to get him to run on one, and bird perches that are that gritty material. We even bought him a hamster ball *gasp* which he obviously found demeaning but we thought maybe he would get the idea behind running in something shaped like a wheel. Nope...he ran around in it for a few minutes then flew over to us and started to try and jump up and was hitting his little head in his attempts to jump to us. Does anyone have any other ideas for filing these needle like nails?? He just refuses to sit still long enough to actually trim them....and I know they grow so fast that the trauma of us trying to clip them is just not worth it (unless you know some trick to it we don't :D )! Any new ideas would be awesome!!! Also I worry about him getting fat...as he gets nowhere near the exercise of our last flyer whom used the wheel religiously. He runs around a bit when out....but prefers to cuddle! He did discover curtains last night...which resulted in a solid hour of playtime up high. Any ideas to encourage the wheel...as he eats in it already ....treats aren't going to work! [-o<
Marcie

Joan
Site Admin

Re: SHARP toenails

Postby Joan » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:56 pm

Pico wrote:... Does anyone have any other ideas for filing these needle like nails??
Marcie

Pup nails are like little needles ... he'll outgrow them.

Pico wrote:... He runs around a bit when out....but prefers to cuddle!
Marcie

You will long for these days when he becomes a "Jack Russell on caffeine
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:32 pm

We used to have a member that taught her flyers to play with a emery board. She would wiggle it around and the flyer would try to catch it. Like magic, the nails were trimmed!

Judy C.

Pico

Postby Pico » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:32 pm

Well it is good to hear he will potentially outgrow some of the sharpness :D ! I am going to try to start teaching him to play with an emery board when I get him out again tonight....great idea!
His cuddle times are usually during the day...at night he turns into the "jack russell puppy!" Last night he discovered the drapes and spent hours speeding around them ...peeking out to make sure we were watching every now and then. Silly boy.
I have read other posts saying that they sometimes won't use the wheel for years and then one day decide they like it! He is such a good little eater...I just worry about him getting fat with not enough exercise. I envision this little furry Jabba sitting there holding his paws out for just one more nut ;)

Pico

Postby Pico » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:46 pm

enjoying his grape with his sharp nails :wink:
Attachments
picopic.jpg
picopic.jpg (51.96 KiB) Viewed 2974 times

DinNorman
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby DinNorman » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:48 am

I put two slabs of flagstone (feels like sandstone); one on each shelf of the cage. The nails get well filed this way and stay short.
David

Pico

Postby Pico » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:46 am

DinNorman wrote:I put two slabs of flagstone (feels like sandstone); one on each shelf of the cage. The nails get well filed this way and stay short.

I have 2 slabs on the level with his food already....guess it wouldn't hurt to put them on the other level too...as we haven't noticed a difference yet!

His first experience with the emery board involved more biting it that clawing....but we will keep trying!
His toenails are like tiny hooks...they spiral around like long cat claws.

marcie

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:58 am

Do you have some good sized branches in his cage for him to climb on? That will help keep his nails worn down some, plus he will enjoy playing on them.

Judy C.

Pico

Postby Pico » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:56 pm

Judy C. wrote:Do you have some good sized branches in his cage for him to climb on? That will help keep his nails worn down some, plus he will enjoy playing on them.

Judy C.

He has 3 branches (the wood ones they make for birds) plus the granite like one made more birds. Should I put real tree branches from outside in there? Oh and just curious where do you get those bendy ropes that you can hook in the cage for them to climb around on? I have seen pics of cages with them on here...but checked all the pet stores locally and can't find them.
marcie

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:57 pm

The ropes are bird toys, and most big pet shops should carry them. You can also find a big selection of them at the 'bird and pet expositions' that are held fairly often in various cities. You could probably find one near you if you Googled it. They are also a pretty good place to find cages.

I use natural branches in my cages. (I don't know whether they are better, but they're a whole lot cheaper!) I usually use oak or sweetgum branches - they're easy to find, and not toxic. My cages are pretty much arranged around the largest branch I can manage to get in them - the bigger the better. I personally like the fact that the wild branches have the bark on them, and the squirrels seem to like that. Of course, as soon as the leaf buds start opening, I start bringing in smaller branches to add in the cages for them to eat. (I am a big believer in using natural foods when possible, and live out in the country, so it's easy for me to gather things - twigs, berries, bugs, mushrooms, etc.)

Judy C.

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:53 am

(older thread I know, but if anyone is reading this for some ideas...) I have found that the "Lava Ledges" made for chinchillas work wonders. Put a few in the cage and their nails will be trimmed within a day! Though I did have to reduce mine to only one in the cage - my flier ran on them so much that it trimmed down her nails a little TOO much. She was unable to grip on anything, and it made her slide down my pant leg every time she tried to jump on me! :rofl:

Return to “All the rest”