Making Your Own Toys

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Making Your Own Toys

Postby spiritedaway20 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:34 pm

I finished a bunch of fleece toys/cage accessories and finally got around to taking a picture of it! I'm working on a little coconut house, a hanging trampoline type of thing, and some wooden toys, which should be fun. The fleece to wood ratio is a bit off at the moment lol. The wooden toys take much longernand will be take some planning. I'm also in the process of adding new branches.

I got the fleece from petsmart for about $10 a blanket (I'm sure they are on sale now for less!). They are dog and cat themed, but I liked the colors and I'm sure he won't care. :)
Toys.jpg
Toys.jpg (203.53 KiB) Viewed 1881 times

violetlady
NFSA Member
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Making Your Own Toys

Postby violetlady » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:04 pm

Your creations look very nice & I'm sure your flyer enjoys them. The fleece is fun to work with!
HOF to Ziggy

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member

Postby spiritedaway20 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:04 am

violetlady wrote:Your creations look very nice & I'm sure your flyer enjoys them. The fleece is fun to work with!

Thanks :) Yeah fleece is fun to work with, but it can be frustrating sometimes when using a sewing machine due to the stretch factor. Have you made any?

Forgot to add, if anyone else would like to post their own creations, feel free!!! The ones I made are nothing new as there are guides online, but I wasn't sure if I was allowed to post the link since it's not associate with the forum. I love seeing what other people do for their cages and toys :)

violetlady
NFSA Member

Postby violetlady » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:05 pm

I have made 3 pouches, 2 for the cage & a smaller one to wear around my neck. I also had a fleece rope, much like your's, in Ziggy's cage, but he never used it so I took it out. I plan to make one of the hoops that hang from 3 chains (can't remember what they are called) when I can find a suitable ring. I ordered the fleece on ebay. Have only done the no-sew projects.
HOF to Ziggy

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member

Postby spiritedaway20 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:43 pm

Oh that sounds great! The ring thing with the chains is called a trampoline. I made one but it came out horrible, so I'm re-making it. Feel free to post pictures when you're done :)

For the ring...if you have an ac moore or michaels craft store, they have metal rings used for making dream catchers that are a nice size. I ended up getting a plastic cross-stitch ring for mine and an old firsbee.

violetlady
NFSA Member

Postby violetlady » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:44 am

Thanks for the ring tips! We live in a small town, so our shopping options are very limited. The nearest craft store is about 40 miles from here, & Im not willing to drive that far just for that. Im waiting till there are other reasons for the trip. Due to our limited options, I tend to order some things on line, but this is one of those things I'd rather "see" before buying. :wink:
HOF to Ziggy

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member

Postby spiritedaway20 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:18 pm

ohhh. I used to have that issue when I lived in Vermont. We lived in a small villiage on a lake in the woods lol I often had to resort to online buying for that, or wait for a big all-around trip for shopping. Online things can look so different online. I also like to see before I buy though so I understand, especially if it's for something that you need to "eyeball" for a specific size. Good luck :)

Return to “Flyer Housing”