How/When do I clean Kaylee's cage?

fadedlyric
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

How/When do I clean Kaylee's cage?

Postby fadedlyric » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:05 am

So, I bought a cage from Martin's Cages, and it has a wire bottom with a pull out drawer. My problem is that I don't want to leave her with bare wires on the bottom (she really likes wood chips) but then it seems to defeat the purpose of having the drawer...what do you guys do? Also, I can't figure out where she's pooping/peeing in the cage, which makes it hard to clean unless I want to throw out all of the wood chips--which would be very expensive. Advice?

violetlady
NFSA Member

Re: How/When do I clean Kaylee's cage?

Postby violetlady » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:20 am

Ziggy's cage is homemade, not commercial, so this may not help. In all my years of pet care, I've found a wire cage floor to be more of a nuisance than a benefit. I'm also not a big fan of shavings, I much prefer newspaper liners (not shredded), its very absorbent. We did include a pull out drawer/tray for his cage bottom/floor. His bedding (cotton) is in his pouch. Since thats where he sleeps, I see no need for litter in the cage floor. I simply roll up the "mess" in the newspaper & toss it. I can then clean the tray & lay fresh paper down. I do this once a week & have never noticed an odor. Wire grids are difficult to clean in my opinion.
HOF to Ziggy

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Re: How/When do I clean Kaylee's cage?

Postby flyer_1 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:22 pm

I would say the way to find out where your your little one is going is to put a sheet out side of the cage or just observe the flyer at dusk or about the time your flyer becomes active for the night.
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

Return to “Flyer Housing”