Is this a good cage?

Laurak
Flying Furball
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Is this a good cage?

Postby Laurak » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:57 pm

I'm considering buying this cage for my new baby flyer (I don't have the flyer yet - am just getting good and prepared!)

It looks nice and roomy. I will just need to replace the wire mesh on it with something that has smaller holes. The back reflective part is glass, not a mirror. My main concern is that it is made of birch and pine (unfinished). Are those materials non-toxic to a flyer?

Thank you!

Laurak
Flying Furball

Re: Is this a good cage?

Postby Laurak » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:58 pm

PS- dimensions are 50" Ht., 33" W, 18" Deep.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:37 am

Looks pretty good. What is the size of the hardware cloth? Ypu don't want to have anything a pup can get through. I think I would remove the glass, if you can, and fill the area with hardware cloth. That glass will get really dirty and a flyer can't climb it. The wood should be OK, but if it's unpainted, I'd paint it with polyurathane or Thompson's water shield as pee will soak into the wood and start smelling eventually.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:49 pm

Thanks Joan! I decided against it - the gentleman told me that the wire cloth had larger spacing than I wanted, so it ended up that it would have been too much work to get it flyer ready (replacing all the wire, varnishing, etc.), plus I don't have a place to varnish it. Thanks for the feedback, though, and if anyone has a cage for sale in the Western PA area that you hear about, I am still looking! ;-)

Mary
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Mary » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:09 am

That did look nice but I would not use Varnish as a sealer..

I want to replace a new cage for my little girl, Muffin, this summer. I will just get another wire cage with no wood on it. Peanut's cage is still in good shape.
Good Luck in your search.
Mary

Return to “Flyer Housing”