Outdoor aviaries?

Delight
Juvie Pup
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Outdoor aviaries?

Postby Delight » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:22 pm

I am curious if the SFS could take the moderately cold weather here in the pacific northwest? It usually only drops below freezing for short periods of time from dec - march. I am getting quite the collection of flyers over here LMAO! I am just trying to figure out a way to give them more room as they're taking up quite a bit of space insdie my house. I certainly do not mind this but my husband is not quite as happy about the situation. I was thinking it would be really neat to build them a huge outdoor avaiary but I don't know if they can withstand the climate here, as it's damp and chilly most of the time. What do you guys think? I know flyers live in places where it gets really cold but they also live in places where it's really hot - WA state is neither of those and is kind of a constant 40-70 degrees most of the year except for the few rare days it drops below freezing or gets above 80. My other question is if I had a large outdoor aviary could I house more than one male in it? Thanks for any advise. :D
Owned by 5 flyers, 1 geoffroys cat, 1 african serval, 1 bengal, 1 parrot & 1 dog. www.totallytameexotics.yolasite.com

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Outdoor aviaries?

Postby Joan » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:23 pm

They should adjust quite well. In the US, they overlap with Northerns in our States that border Canada.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Delight
Juvie Pup

Postby Delight » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:47 pm

Thanks Joan! Can I house more than one male in a large aviary? I am thinking something that's roughly 6 X 6 X 8.
Owned by 5 flyers, 1 geoffroys cat, 1 african serval, 1 bengal, 1 parrot & 1 dog. www.totallytameexotics.yolasite.com

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:34 pm

I'm in southeast Texas - it's hot hot HOT and extremely humid here. Our winters are fairly short and mild, with intervals of low teens and single digits, biting winds, and sometimes sleet or snow. And a few days later, it's back to shirt sleeves again.
(But don't put those coats too far away - the cold will be back.) So the weather shouldn't have any big impact on the flyers. When it gets cold, they will all pile up and sleep together in 2 or 3 nest boxes, and keep each other warm.

I have 3 outdoor flyer cages with between 15 and 20 flyers, both male and female, in each. They all get along just fine. I also have one indoor cage with 5 males in it, and another with 2 males in it. My smallest outdoor cage is about 8'X 8'X 12' tall. My outdoor cages are, for the most part, release cages, but I do have one that is a breeder cage. The two that are release cages have been open for about a year now, but no one seems to have left! They go out to play in the trees at night, but they all show up for supper before they go play. Most of them still sleep in their nest boxes in their cage. Anyhow, all that was just to say that yes, you can keep more than one male in the cage. Just BE SURE to keep a lot more nest boxes and pouches than you have flyers. And watch at first to make sure that you don't need more than one feeding station.

Good luck with your flyers. In a lot of ways, I enjoy the outdoor flyers more than the indoor ones. I keep a chair in the cage so that I can sit out and visit.

Judy C.

Delight
Juvie Pup

Postby Delight » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:28 am

Wow thank you Judy! That was very informative. Right now I have 5 flyers but may be taking in two more in the next week or so. It's been really strange as there never used to be any flyers on the NW coast. My first flyer I ever got was Mari, she passed on this year at a ripe old age of 11, I am sure she would have lived longer but she was suffering from MBD when I recived her at 2yrs old and I think that probably had something to do with it but I am thankful for the 9 years I got to spend with her.

After Mari I had 2 northern flyers which were shipped to me from Jeanie Baker at Kanzakitty but she informed me they were quite old and never produced with her, well the female passed away a few months after she came to live with me and the male I put in with Mari to keep her company but unfortunately he passed away a couple yrs after I got him. Then I got Berry to go with Mari last year, he was a rescue I took in from a girl on vashon island.

A week before Mari died I took in 3 females that originally came from S&S exotics that were sold as pets but are not handlable - not what the person who bought them expected, so now they're here with me. Mari passed away right after they came to live here - I felt like she was hanging on until Berry would have company and she could finally walk over the rainbow bridge without leaving him heart broken and lonely. After she passed I moved all 3 girls in with Berry inside of a 5ft by 3ft by 2ft flight cage.

Tonight the same lady I got the three girls from sent me another male flying squirrel. She had got this baby from another person who originally purchased him from Hellen's little critters and he is a HAM such a sweet sweet little guy. She unfortunately had to give him up due to breaking her hand and having to go through physical thearapy and not being able to handle him so he's here with me now too in a seprate cage from the main group. I would like to have them all together but I didn't know if the males would fight or not, I know with gliders you can't have two males together unless they were raised together or are neutered cause they will fight.

Now another woman has gotten ahold of me about a pair of flyers she may no longer be able to keep, so they may be coming here as well. As much as I love having them inside I am not sure if I want to have 3 huge cages inside as I just don't have the room for it! It boggles my mind that in as little as 3 months I have taken in 4 squirrels and have been in contact with 5 people needing to find homes for their flyers in WA state! I wish I wish I could take them all but the reality of it is that if I did I would probably have wall to wall cages inside of my house LMAO! So we must figure some other way haha! :silly:
Last edited by Delight on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Delight
Juvie Pup

Postby Delight » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:28 am

Whooosh see what I mean about my long windedness Judy :rofl:

NuttyNelly
NFSA Member

Postby NuttyNelly » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:51 pm

I would love to see some picture of your ourdoor aviaries! They sound like so much fun.

How neato that even though they are free to live their life they still choose to stay close to you! That speaks to your heart and love you have given them.
HOF to a sweet baby boy!
Small hobby breeder of sugar gliders.
http://www.sarahssuggieshoppe.com

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:19 pm

Delight, sounds like word is out that you are The Flyer Lady! :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Delight
Juvie Pup

Postby Delight » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:06 pm

Haha my thoughts exactly Joan! :rofl:

Return to “Flyer Housing”