Questions about building a house for Bob

BobsMom
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Questions about building a house for Bob

Postby BobsMom » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:39 am

I am having a custom house built for my flyer. Just a few questions would help me out to make sure I have all my ducks in a row. I have to tell the builder exact details about materials and im a little confused. I would like a square wire cage therefore which material at Home Depot of Wire Cloth man should I buy? There is a lot of options and I obviously do not want toxic material involved. I want wood on the cage because i would like for it to look like a piece of furniture. I have read a good bit about urine soaking into the wood. We dont want that so some people did Polyurethane. I would like that too. Is Polyurethane toxic to my flyer? What type of wood should I get from the supply store? Any add ins or advice on the cage would be great. I looked at all the nice pictures of other peoples cages and they are just great! Looking and knowing exact materials used is harder than it seems. Especially coming from someone who has no idea about materials or building. I need to give my friend a nice visual and a list of non toxic materials to be used. I am going to draw him a picture but I just do not know about the materials involved. Also I would like a metal pan on the bottom below a grate. I wanted the poop and pee to fall below the grate onto the pan. Is that safe for my flyer to have a metal bottom? Thank you for any responses that would be useful. :B-fly:

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Questions about building a house for Bob

Postby Joan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:40 am

BobsMom wrote:... I would like a square wire cage
Remember, flyers like to go up; so the taller, that better ... that would make a pretty large square cage.
BobsMom wrote:... therefore which material at Home Depot of Wire Cloth man should I buy?:
Get 1/4 inch hardware cloth
BobsMom wrote:... I have read a good bit about urine soaking into the wood.
Yes, this happens unless the wood is waterproofed.
BobsMom wrote:... We dont want that so some people did Polyurethane. I would like that too. Is Polyurethane toxic to my flyer?
I use polyurethan stain on my wood. If you have a natural wood color you like, you can use clear or Thompson's deck shield.
BobsMom wrote:... What type of wood should I get from the supply store?
That's a matter of personal choice.
BobsMom wrote:... Any add ins or advice on the cage would be great.
I find a full size front door really nice for cleaning the cage, but would recomment a small "go back" door on the side for when you get refusals to return to the cage or can't get the door closed fast enough. :twisted:
BobsMom wrote:... Also I would like a metal pan on the bottom below a grate.
I have found that I am happiest with a solid floor and an inch lip around it to keep kitty litter inside. I then shop vac it when the litter is covered in nut shells and starts to fall out.
BobsMom wrote:... Is that safe for my flyer to have a metal bottom?
Yes
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

BobsMom

Postby BobsMom » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:03 pm

Thank you!!! :D I meant a big rectangle not square. A tall 6 foot, I will post pictures when its completed in the picture section that way you can see.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:35 pm

Super ...sounds perfect. =D>
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Flyer Housing”