Is the wire cloth trimming her nails?

Laurak
Flying Furball
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Is the wire cloth trimming her nails?

Postby Laurak » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:23 am

Hi all - sorry for all the posts but I'm still in the 'trial and error' stage with Momo. My fiance and I spent all weekend building her a new, larger cage, and it looks great. She's been in it for two nights now and seems to love it also. However, when we pulled her out to play this morning, we found that she couldn't grip onto things as well, and kept sliding off. We examined her and it looks like her nails have been trimmed down. So:

1) Is it possible the wire cloth could be shaving down her nails? We are using 1/4 inch wire mesh, and it seems pretty standard. Also when she runs on it, it looks like she is gripping through the cage, so it shouldn't be rubbing on her claws too much.

2) Is this because she is young? Should we keep her in the smaller cage for a few weeks then try again? Or is she missing some supplement that could make her nails stronger?

3) We also have lava ledges in the cage (however they were in her old cage as well). Could she be spending more time on them now, and that's what's doing it?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. It would really stink if we spent all this time and money on a cage and not be able to use it. :(

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Is the wire cloth trimming her nails?

Postby Joan » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:07 am

Laurak wrote:...1) Is it possible the wire cloth could be shaving down her nails?

No

Laurak wrote:...2) Is this because she is young?

No, their nail are long and sharp

Laurak wrote:...3) We also have lava ledges in the cage ...Could she be spending more time on them now, and that's what's doing it?

This would be my bet. If you can remove them see if this helps. If that's it, put them back and you have a great trimmer set up. :D
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Laurak
Flying Furball

Re: Is the wire cloth trimming her nails?

Postby Laurak » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:39 am

Just as a follow up for anyone who may read this in the future - Joan was right, of course! :D We removed the lava ledges and her nails grew right back, and are now sharp again :-P I will probably put one ledge back in to keep her nails down a bit.

Return to “Flyer Housing”