Cage Curiosity

Chruxl
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Cage Curiosity

Postby Chruxl » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:31 am

Hi I have been looking at as much as I can about cages and am planning on building a metal cage in a couple of months. I have a question about the floor. Would there be a problem with putting dirt and possibly planting clover in the bottom of the cage? It seems like an alternative to litter (plus I heard that flyers like clover flowers). The only potential problem I can think of is the possibility that the squirrels "do their business" more than the dirt can handle. Is this just a crazy idea? I would really like to give my future flyer a natural floor in its play area. Any answers are very appreciated!
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Cage Curiosity

Postby Joan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:54 am

Flyers will dig up plants just for fun. I use kitty litter and a shop vac to clean up all the debris that they toss on the floor. They can build up quite a layer of trash and you just vac it up adding more litter if needed.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Laurak
Flying Furball

Re: Cage Curiosity

Postby Laurak » Wed May 01, 2013 12:56 pm

I actually use dirt and it works just fine - we change it out every few months, and thoroughly clean the bottom of the cage when we do. Just caught Momo stashing a nut in the bottom of her cage yesterday - too cute :D

That being said, I haven't been able to successfully plant anything in the cage dirt. She pees on it and/or chews it up too fast.

Return to “Flyer Housing”