Pics of Bella's New Room and Newly Rearranged Cage

slmero
Juvie Pup
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Pics of Bella's New Room and Newly Rearranged Cage

Postby slmero » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:03 pm

Hi Everyone. I wanted to get ya'll's opinions and suggestions on Bella's new room and newly configured cage. When I first got Bella, I had bought a cage made for a ferret to house her in. It had shelves and ramps that would be great for a ferret but not so good for a flyer. So I took all the shelves and ramps out to make it more of "flight cage". I added 2 more perches, I added a water tube which is really one of the most efficient and hygienic ways to give water that I've ever seen, and I put plastic on the floor under her cage and on the wall behind her cage because of the projectile pee pee and poop. Since I took the shelves out, the water dish is no longer covered by a shelf which left it open to pee and poop. It was gross and there was no where else I could put the dish to protect it from her urine so I found this tube at Wal-Mart which is gravity fed with a little pool at the bottom where the water gathers. It's great because it has no ball bearing for her little tongue to get pinched and the water will never get stuck. I was afraid she wouldn't know what it was or how to use it but as soon as I put it in there, she climbed up her new perch that I positioned underneath the water tube and promptly drank half of it! YAYY! Water problem solved! Well, it's been a little over a month since I got her and as the days pass, I'm learning more and more and figuring out what works best for Bella and I. So, each day I've been doing a little more work in her room and I finally got it to where I want it to be. As you'll see, I have a mosquito net set up on the day bed for "tent time" and it's proving to be an awesome technique for bonding! You'll also see all the fleece I've hung on the walls for Bella to climb around on. Here is a picture of Bella's room taken standing in the doorway:
Bellas Room 1.jpg
Outside looking in...
Bellas Room 1.jpg (498.44 KiB) Viewed 1586 times
This next picture is the opposite side... taken from the inside of the room looking out at the doorway:
Bellas Room 2.jpg
Inside looking out...
Bellas Room 2.jpg (560.55 KiB) Viewed 1586 times
. This last picture is of Bella's cage which I finally got exactly the way I wanted it:
20140225_191449_Android.jpg
Bella's cage... just right!
20140225_191449_Android.jpg (837.23 KiB) Viewed 1586 times
Even though this cage is great for now, I want Bella to have a much taller cage that she can really spread her patagium in... LOL! So now the only thing left to do is get my fiance to start building the cage I drew out for him. I will definitely need some suggestions from you guys for that too. But in the meantime, if anyone has any ideas to make Bella feel more at home until I get her bigger cage built, I'm all ears!
Momma to 3 babygirls:
Miss Bella Rose (my newest and youngest, flying squirrel)
Miss Gracie Ann (my rebellious middle child, ferret who thinks she's a dog)
Miss Foxy Lady (my first-born, dog)

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Pics of Bella's New Room and Newly Rearranged Cage

Postby Joan » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:16 pm

slmero wrote:... So now the only thing left to do is get my fiance to start building the cage I drew out for him.

Check out these examples: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2024
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

slmero
Juvie Pup

Postby slmero » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:45 pm

THANKS Joan!! Those cages gave me so many ideas... I'm taking little things from each one to create an enclosure that fits Bella's needs. I have actually found a perfect enclosure that meets my standards and needs and have attached a picture of it for everyone to see and comment on. First, I want a cage big enough for me to put a chair/stool in there to play with Bella and also big enough for her to actually get her glide on... :multi: The cage she's in now is ok but all she has room to do is jump from one perch to another with no room to actually spread her "wings" (or should I say patagium) and glide! And since she has her own room now, it's big enough to make a cage that size.

Now, here come all the questions. I need some help deciding what materials would be best to use.

1. Wire Mesh Material: Went to the Wire Cloth Man.com and a few other sites to get ideas on what type of mesh wiring I should use and I've narrowed it down to 4 different types: Galvanized After Weld (GAW) Wire Mesh, Vinyl Coated Wire Mesh, GAW Hardware Cloth, and Vinyl Coated Hardware Cloth. Does anyone know if galvanized wire is safe enough for flyers? I've been reading about how it's coated in a zinc mixture which can sometimes be toxic to animals. Any thoughts? Based on that answer, it then comes down to whether I want to use wire mesh or hardware cloth (hardware cloth is wayyyy cheaper and I'm trying to stay on budget) [-o< . The hardware cloth is flexible yet strong but I'm not sure if the wire mesh is as flexible. Take a look at the picture I've attached and let me know what you think would be the most functional and easy to clean mesh for this cage. I know I want to use 1/2" x 1/2" or 1/4" x 1/4" mesh and I think 16 gauge would work but that is kind of thick. Would 19 or 22 gauge be better for this type of application?

2. Wood Frame and Door: I am worried about using wood for the frame because Bella likes to pee through the bars of her cage and I know urine soaks into wood and is impossible to clean the odor. If I stain the wood with a safe polyurethane, will that block the urine from soaking in? Also, if you notice in the picture, they've used painted wood. But this enclosure was actually made for a bird, not a squirrel so I need to change the design a little to. I also want to use a pre-made screen type door for the door to the enclosure. I think that would be easier and cheaper than making one and it would fit this enclosure just right. Any thoughts?

I am open to ANY suggestions for Bella's new cage. Also, we are going to be moving soon so I'm debating whether to build the cage now and reassemble after we move or to wait until we're in our new house to build it. I'm not sure if they new place is going to have a room I can dedicate for Bella so this new walk-in enclosure will be great in case I don't have a room for her. Her new cage will be big enough that IT will be her room! I cannot wait to see her gliding around her new enclosure like a flying squirrel should! I feel so bad that she's in such a small cage right now :puppydogeyes: but she seems happy as ever... can't wait to see how happy she'll be in a big enclosure! \:D/
Attachments
Cage to Copy for Bella.jpg
The cage I'm using as a template for Bella's new home! Can't wait to start building!
Cage to Copy for Bella.jpg (99.38 KiB) Viewed 1569 times
Momma to 3 babygirls:
Miss Bella Rose (my newest and youngest, flying squirrel)
Miss Gracie Ann (my rebellious middle child, ferret who thinks she's a dog)
Miss Foxy Lady (my first-born, dog)

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:33 am

slmero wrote:... Now, here come all the questions. I need some help deciding what materials would be best to use.

1. Wire Mesh Material.... I know I want to use 1/2" x 1/2" or 1/4" x 1/4" mesh

Use 1/4 X 1/4

slmero wrote:...I think 16 gauge would work but that is kind of thick. Would 19 or 22 gauge be better for this type of application?

Heck if I know. I just used hardware cloth from Home Depot

slmero wrote:...2. Wood Frame and Door: I am worried about using wood for the frame because Bella likes to pee through the bars of her cage and I know urine soaks into wood and is impossible to clean the odor. If I stain the wood with a safe polyurethane, will that block the urine from soaking in? Also, if you notice in the picture, they've used painted wood.

I used polyurethane paint or stain (can't remember) and sprayed the wiring too.

slmero wrote:... I also want to use a pre-made screen type door for the door to the enclosure. I think that would be easier and cheaper than making one and it would fit this enclosure just right. Any thoughts?

Build a small "Go Back" door somewhere because when the big door is open, it's impossible to get a flyer in if it doesn't want to go. :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

pattis
Juvie Pup

Postby pattis » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:37 am

My husband and son built Rowdy's nesting box with a French cleat, so it easily lifts out when I want to get him out or clean his box. The top and back of his habitat are plywood covered with that fencing stuff. So there's no way he chew his way out and get hurt. I'll post a couple of pictures of the box and cleat. The floor is that fencing stuff also but I put some plastic sign material in the bottom so it cleans up nice too. And it's on wheels!
Attachments
IMG_20140309_112647.jpg
IMG_20140309_112647.jpg (800.9 KiB) Viewed 1562 times
IMG_20140309_112735.jpg
IMG_20140309_112735.jpg (666.89 KiB) Viewed 1562 times
Rowdy's friend

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:55 pm

pattis wrote: My husband and son built Rowdy's nesting box with a French cleat

That was really smart! I have a box like that that I take with me in case Chuck gets restless and needs to be shut up. I put a circular plastic piece (jar top would do) on a screw so I can swivel it over the entrance hole. I drilled a large breathing hole in it. He can't escape.

pattis wrote: ... And it's on wheels!

Yes, I think this is a must too.

pattis
Juvie Pup

Postby pattis » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:25 pm

By the way I love princess Bella's room! It's really neat she has her own space like that.
Oh yes... I clean rowdy's stuff with vinegar mostly, sometimes baking soda.
I like the wheels on his cage but it would be nice to be able to step inside. They do make retractable wheels. I got some for my husbands work table. I don't remember what they cost.
Rowdy's friend

Return to “Flyer Housing”