Safe size /age to move into cage

Snicker Bar
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Safe size /age to move into cage

Postby Snicker Bar » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:06 pm

So we've had these two babies approx three weeks now (two, measure about 5/6" from tail to nose. They are still I. The plastic tub we modified ( about 18" by 12" by 12") . Every night I add fresh branches, and foods. I'm still not convinced eating enough. I always provide a small cap of formula ( Esbilac) since won't take by syringe, fresh water, and variety of veggies, greens, fruit, and even gussied up HHB's for flyers ( won't touch at all ). Any suggestions for favorite beginner foods? And, at what age/size should babies such as these graduate from tub to a real flyer cage? Thanks for help!
Oh, also one last question ( not a housing ); as far as wearing the babies... are there certain places , depending on level of noise, sounds ( i.e. Workplace with barking dogs..) Is it best to leave babies home on days away from the house, in other words? Off 4 days per week, to wear at home; but willing to wear during break time etc at workplace ( but phones and dogs barking )

gsr1960@aol.com

Re: Safe size /age to move into cage

Postby gsr1960@aol.com » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:26 pm

As an experiment one time I tried small cubes of watermelon and mine absolutely fell in love. I have four pet flying squirrels and they all enjoy watermelon cubes daily. Amazing for hydration, as well as vitamins. Greg

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Safe size /age to move into cage

Postby Joan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:32 pm

Snicker Bar wrote:... Any suggestions for favorite beginner foods?

Lots of info here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=159

Snicker Bar wrote:... And, at what age/size should babies such as these graduate from tub to a real flyer cage?

They are coming out on tree limbs way up high around 4 weeks. You might go ahead and put current container in a cage and let them explore at will.

Snicker Bar wrote:... are there certain places , depending on level of noise, sounds ( i.e. Workplace with barking dogs..) Is it best to leave babies home on days away from the house, ... but willing to wear during break time etc at workplace ( but phones and dogs barking )

You can get them use to any kind of noise. I carried Chuck with me mowing, vacuuming, shop vacuuming the cage bottom. I never protected him from noise. The only time I saw him disturbed by noise was at the dentist when having my teeth cleaned. He did not like the sound of the drill machine. Also once in a VERY noisy and crowded restaurant when he bit my friend who was "wearing him" because he wanted to get to me.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Flyer Housing”