I just got my 2 northerns :)

Share your joy! Here's the place for newly owned HOFs to announce births and adoptions.

Moderator: Joan

violoncello
Teen HOF
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

I just got my 2 northerns :)

Postby violoncello » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:36 pm

Today I went and picked up my northerns from Keystone exotics. It was a 4 hour drive for me from the jersey shore. They are both pretty docile for just getting them. They will sit in my hand and pretty much chill for a few minutes, although I gavn't done it much yet today because i want them to settle in.

He said that they are around 7-8 weeks old.....but i wasn't sure whether to believe him because they are pretty big.......but they are northerns. That may be the reason.....what do you guys think? I will take pictures of them tomorrow so I can get definate answers on around what age they are.

He had them feeding on rodent blocks and a hamster-type food.......so i gave them an assortment of berries and seed....well I'll post updates later.

Adios
~John~

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:21 pm

You lucky lucky person! LOL apparently according to most people who have had both northerns are supposed to be nicer. Less speedy then southerns..That might explain your very docile babies. BTW have you named them yet? male or female?
Owned by
Madamoiselle Artemis Isobella D'Antionette
Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: I just got my 2 northerns :)

Postby Joan » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:50 pm

violoncello wrote:... He said that they are around 7-8 weeks old.....but i wasn't sure whether to believe him because they are pretty big.......but they are northerns. That may be the reason.....what do you guys think?

Northern pups are definitely larger than Southern.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:53 pm

Congratulations. I would love to see them, since I have never seen a northerner before.
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

WantsAFlyer
Flying Furball

Postby WantsAFlyer » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:40 am

That's wonderful! I'm sure everyone is excited to hear more about them so we can see what the differences are between them and the little southerns. Have fun with your babies, and make sure to keep us updated! :D

Moca
Flying Furball

Postby Moca » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:24 pm

Pictures,pictures,we want pictures!
Protect wildlife,keep ye cat indoors.
www.abcbirds.org
:coffee: Moca

violoncello
Teen HOF

Postby violoncello » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:45 pm

Alrighty, well last night they bounced around and discovered everything in their cage and loved their grapes and strawberries. I took some pictures of mine (the other is actually my friend's but they are together for now).

I just have a few questions. Does it look northern? Does it look to be the age the breeder said? It is pretty chill and all.....it lets me hold it and it will just sit there. Even when it wants to get away its not very good at it. I am carrying it around in a pouch right now and it's being pretty good.

I guess by the size of it and the way the breeder was acting........i felt it was an adult when i got it (i felt a little ripped off), but i guess they would be a lot less handlable and crazy if they were unsocialized adults right? I think it may just be because I have seen pictures of everyones tiny lil southerns. He said they are around 7-8 weeks old........and that they are totally off milk....i dunno.....they just seem so big for babies lol.

Let me know what you guys think..

~John~

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:12 pm

Soooo sweet! Looks like a baby to me. About the size of an average adult sfs, so it's probably the right size for your northern baby :D Thanks for the great pictures. it looks like you and your baby are off to a very good start.
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:24 pm

In Northerns, the abdominal hairs are usually gray at base rather than white.
Check out pictures here: http://www.flyingsquirrels.com/Images/P ... index.html

Looks at the size of the juveniles and the adults.

The diet of the Northern flyer is different from the Southern: http://www.flyingsquirrels.com/diet.html
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:01 pm

AWWWWWWWWWWWW looks like a itty bitty northerner to me. LOL that's how big the adult rather chubby Isobella looks now...but on a diet. :( My poor baby is getting to be really large.
Owned by

Madamoiselle Artemis Isobella D'Antionette

Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

The Rock's Laura
NFSA Member

Postby The Rock's Laura » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:32 pm

Check the belly hair to be sure.....(Joan's post).

People are kind of clueless about flying squirrels in NJ. I spoke to an official rehab and rescue place once that claimed there are no Southern flyers in NJ and that they are all Northern flyers which is totally not true.

Let us know.......the belly hair will tell. My opinion, it's a Southern.
:love7: I was joyfully owned by
6 1/2 yr old
ROCKIE, a gift in my life.
Rest in Peace my baby boy 9/4/2002 - 5/24/2009

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:49 pm

You've got a definite molt going on. SFS usually have their first molt by 12 weeks.

RaVeRiNaBuBbLe
Flying Furball

Postby RaVeRiNaBuBbLe » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:52 pm

how adorable! the tail looks fatter and fluffier than molly's or p.o.'s ever was....but the rest of her/him looks southern to me....i dunno. i havent done much research on northerns, but i think time will tell to see if s/he gets any bigger. try to get a belly shot, so we can see the color of the abdominal fur.
~Michele~

In Loving Memory of Mr. Pecan Oglethorpe (P.O.) and Molly MoMo. Momma will miss you, Babies.

Airstreamlady
NFSA Member

Postby Airstreamlady » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:30 pm

I know you are just beaming with pride. And, you should be. They are adorable. No matter what part of the country they are from. :wink:

I just love to see pictures too.

Patti
Mom to Peaches, Sweet Pea and Clint (the only one of my kids who talks back) :bad-words: LOL
- Patti -
The Official Poopologist
Squammy to Peaches and Sweet Pea

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:35 pm

Airstreamlady wrote:... Patti, Mom to Peaches, Sweet Pea and Clint (the only one of my kids who talks back) :bad-words: LOL

Just wait til you get your first war dance by unsetting one of them LOL You'll get an ear full and when the ears lay flat on the head .... get out of the room! :twisted:

Airstreamlady
NFSA Member

Postby Airstreamlady » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:54 pm

OMG, I just can't imagine anything so small and sweet acting up like that. But then again, I wouldn't have ever believed it when my kids were little and cute either :oops:
- Patti -

The Official Poopologist

Squammy to Peaches and Sweet Pea

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:06 pm

That baby is so precious. It doesn't really matter which type she or he is, you will be loved just as much for giving that love to him.

Patti, a flyers war dance and any fit throwing they throw with you is worse than any 2 or 3 year old child. I have had flower pots thrown at me, been bitten because I didn't give what ever unknown substance they wanted, and I am still suprised everytime a fit or war dance is thrown. :evilbat:
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

violoncello
Teen HOF

Postby violoncello » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:50 am

Well i guess only time will tell whether they are northerns or not. I parted her belly hairs and the base of the hairs are gray....if thats even what im supposed to be looking for. Today she almost got away from me when she decided she felt comfortable getting out of the pouch.

She started taking food from me and eating it in her pouch. Then i took her into the bathroom and she sat on the top of the toilet seat and was eating sunflower seeds from my hand, so she is definately being nice and chill.

After she decided it was ok to be out of the puch she started wanting to go a lil crazy....which i wasn't sure was a good idea right now so i had to put her back in her cage.

I was just wondering.......when will it be safe for me to have her out around the house without the worry of her not wanted to be found lol.

~John~

libby
Baby Flyer

Postby libby » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:10 pm

Are there behavior differences between a young squirrel and an adult that John could watch for? Like, how long does it take her to open an almond. Or nibbling on toes and fingers? Or, if they run in a wheel and how fast they can run in the wheel?

One website said that it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between an adult SFS and a baby NFS because of the variations in color. (It said either could have gray or white and DNA testing is the only sure way). :?

Moca
Flying Furball

Postby Moca » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:33 am

Thanks for the pictures...keep us updated.
I'm curious as to personality differences in the two species.
Protect wildlife,keep ye cat indoors.

www.abcbirds.org

:coffee: Moca

Ohatsie
Juvie Pup

Postby Ohatsie » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:58 pm

Comparing pictures of Southern to Northern flyers, it seems like Northerns have a rounder snout than the southerns. That might be totally invalid, im not an expert by any means! hahah

Other than that, what was your impression of Keystone?
I live in NY state and ive been trying to find a breeder near me, and it looks like Keystone is it!
Just trying to get a good sense of them before i buy from them
Colin

Delight
Juvie Pup

Postby Delight » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:51 pm

They look like northerns to me, they look very similar to the two northerns I had. The northern's face has a different look to it then southerns, it's hard to put your finger on unless you've owned both for comparison. Not to mention the longer looking fur, my northerns almost always looked like they were in a molt in pictures but it was just because their fur was longer and different then southern fur. Looks like it's got a big fluffy tail too, my northern that had a tail (one was in an accident and had a little stub) but the one that had a tail had a really really fluffy tail, it was really funny to look at compared to the southerns. They are just two very different creatures. Good luck with your little fuzzy may you have many years of face huggin' love ahead of you.
Owned by 5 flyers, 1 geoffroys cat, 1 african serval, 1 bengal, 1 parrot & 1 dog. www.totallytameexotics.yolasite.com

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:06 pm

Congrats on your flyers there cute. The difference between Northers and Southerns is that northerns are an easier catch for owels :D

Good luck :)
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

Return to “BIRTH & ADOPTION ANNOUNCEMENTS”