Answered Prayer

Share your joy! Here's the place for newly owned HOFs to announce births and adoptions.

Moderator: Joan

WillowsMama
Juvie Pup
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Answered Prayer

Postby WillowsMama » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:40 pm

I found my sweet Willow in October of last year, in a carport of a home that I was house-sitting. I thought she was a dead mouse so boy was I surprised when I picked her up with a big gob of paper towels and she shrieked! I flipped out (screaming and the whole 9 yards) and I think the neighbors still think I'm a little "special" LOL. But after finding out what she really was, I did my research and became a HOF from that moment on. I carried her in an old sock around my neck, fed her, wiped her, and ultimately, fell in love with her. I soon became a frequent visitor to the NFSA board and somehow (long story) ended up becoming a foster mom for a wildlife rehabber shortly thereafter. I always have babies of some kind but my favorite is the SFS. Although God continuously blesses me with all sorts of fallen or abandoned angels, I really wanted a friend/mate for Willow (ok, I really wanted another flyer for me LOL). So, I recently contacted Joan with my plea and low and behold...today I brought home a new family member. Jessie (Lioki's first love) had contacted Joan around the same time I had. She adopted Lioki from Tom last year and has been a wonderful mother and friend to him...but as we all know, sometimes fate intervenes. Jessie has a new baby on the way, (and school and work to boot) so she made the difficult decision to place Lioki up for adoption so that he will get the time and care that he needs and she will be able to embark on her new journey in life all the while having Lioki's best interest in her heart and mind as well. So,now...My prayers have been answered (as I believe hers have too) and a new chapter begins. I want to take this opportunity to tell Jessie that I admire her strength and selflessness and to thank both Jessie and Joan for their help in answering my prayer. I love him already and I can't wait to see how Willow will take to her prearranged marriage.
:D

Chippy
NFSA Member

Re: Answered Prayer

Postby Chippy » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:26 pm

Congratulations to you and to Jessie! Keep us updated, would you?
Martie.....
Proud HOF of Chipper & Cali!

Zoe, I will listen in heaven for your hoof beat.
Gizmo, may you keep God's feet warm.

WillowsMama
Juvie Pup

Postby WillowsMama » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:40 pm

Thanks Martie :) ! Well, so far, so good. Lioki is out of his cage & roaming my room for the first time tonight. I think he is in squirrel heaven. There are treats hidden throughout the bookshelf he's on and I think he's starting to get a whiff of Willow, who he's yet to meet. I'm doing a gradual introduction and letting him get to know me first. He spent several hours in my shirt today and was dying to get out and stretch his wings so I thought I'd see how it goes to let him have some play time. Willow seems a little tiffed at the new scent on me but I think she'll soon get over it once she gets to meet and know Lioki. I must say, it is going a lot smoother than I expected. I am already handling him (with no resistance thank God) and he's eating and drinking well. I have yet to see him glide but I'm sure it won't be long..especially after he starts chasing Willow :wink:. Tonight, Willow is staying in her cage....tomorrow, I will remove lioki from my room and then let Willow get some time to roam and check out the new scents on HER bookshelf LOL. I think she is going to be pissed because she has stuff hidden up there and we all know it's never good to help yourself to a woman's closet. So till later...I have a squirrel I can't get enough of and it's time for my next dose!
Have a great night!
Ellen

Chippy
NFSA Member

Postby Chippy » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:22 am

Hehehe....too funny! Lioki will soon learn that "what's mine is hers!" :twisted: Cali goes into Chip's cage and steal his nuts and bedding. I think Chipper has accepted that fact that this is the only way she will pay him any attention. She "lovingly" beats the tar out of him and he comes back for more making a game of chirping and running from her. They are so much fun to watch when they both get going. It's non-stop action. Chipper will find "his" nuts stashed somewhere new and he will retrieve them and place them back in his cage. Cali, will come back for her nightly raid and steal them again. It's too funny to watch. Heaven forbid that Chip makes it to her cage and tries to steal anything. They still don't nest together. Each goes to their own nest box come morning. Chipper is my baby that I raised, but you can't tell that to Cali. I belong to her and she is super jelous when he is on me. There are usually several chases around my body and Cali always ends up in my shirt claiming her prize! Enjoy your new boy and good luck to the "happy" couple.
Martie.....

Proud HOF of Chipper & Cali!

Zoe, I will listen in heaven for your hoof beat.

Gizmo, may you keep God's feet warm.

immatater
Flying Furball

Postby immatater » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:16 pm

I have two who are just getting to know each other as well. They have a closet to themselves and she would stay in the upper shelves and he would stay down in his cage (with the door open so he had the option to come out) but they didn't seem that interested in one another for a while. Just a few days ago they started to hang out together though. Maybe there's hope after all ;)

WillowsMama
Juvie Pup

Postby WillowsMama » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:57 pm

Lioki is doing really well. I took him to work with me for the first 3 days of this week and kept him on my person for about 3 hours each day. He has adopted an old sock that I had put in his cage so that made it easier to carry him in my shirt. On Wednesday night I put his cage right up against Willow's. Willow was reaching for Lioki and smacking him LOL, it was so cute, he just ran back into his sock until the coast was clear...then he's come out and sniff all over. Willow would come back down to his cage and do the whole thing over again. But she was just playing, not really being mean. She was so excited she was running all over and kept going to his cage. I had him stay in my room though once I went to bed. Last night, I put their cages together and this time he smacked her back a few times LOL! They had a good time reaching thru the bars and touching each other...and they were both pretty active in their cages. I think they really like each other. Tonight I am going to leave them cage by cage and just keep checking on them (even thru the night) to make sure the play stays sweet and innocent. If all goes well, tomorrow night, all nesting boxes/areas are being taken out of Willows cage and I am going to put them together...see what happens. I may need a valium to get thru the experience but I know they need to get formerly introduced. So, I'm crossing my fingers for the big "first date" tomorrow.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:09 pm

WillowsMama wrote:... I may need a valium to get thru the experience but I know they need to get formerly introduced. So, I'm crossing my fingers for the big "first date" tomorrow.

You might, but they won't. LOL :wink: You should see Tom toss a new flyer into the Wild Bunch Cage ... "here you go". :twisted: A new one is accepted immediately. Sometimes it isn't quite as smooth with ours as jealousy plays into it when mom is around and there can be squabbles over who owns her. :roll:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

WillowsMama
Juvie Pup

Postby WillowsMama » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:16 pm

Well, the first date went great! I removed the nesting areas and Willow and Lioki had great fun at a game of tag. I took him out that first night, though, because I didn't know how it would go if I wasn't nearby to break them up (if they got carried away). I put the nesting areas (they aren't your typical nest boxes) back in the cage and decided to let em' at it the next night. Well, Lioki has now taken over Willow's favorite birdhouse (typical male) and Willow is now sleeping in her old sock hat. I think, for now anyways, Willow is a bit hyper for Lioki's taste because he spends a lot of time just peeking out of the birdhouse while she does her marathon training LOL. He perks up when I come around but for the most part, he seems to be pretty laid back compared to my lil' tazmanian devil. But, after he gets all woke up...he says the hell with it, if you can't beat em' join em'! It has been great fun to watch them get acquainted and I know after awhile, they will be sleeping together :D and really start enjoying each other's company. ATM, I have 13 birds I am babysitting for my rehabber so I haven't been able to keep up with the updating like I would like too so...for now, all is well and I must say, I am just so happy to have Lioki in our family. He's just an awesome lil guy and I think my Willow has her first crush :wink:. I can't wai to see if they will consumate the marriage! Hope all is well with all of you, I'll have more details soon.
Hope everyone has a great 4th!
Ellen

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:25 pm

So glad they are adjusting so well to each other. I know Jessie must be happy too. She raised a fine boy. :D
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

WillowsMama
Juvie Pup

Postby WillowsMama » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:49 pm

I know it's been awhile since I've written but I thought I'd post an update. Lioki and Willow are doing awesome. Lioki actually took over Willow's nesting box (at first) and she found solace in a sock hat that I have always had available in their cage. Well, I should say she "did"...Lioki and Willow have been "shacking up" recently. They sleep together most nights but I occasionally see that she has decided to stay back at her place. Lioki is the more passive squirrel. I think he must have got a crink in his neck from watching her in constant motion in the begining but now, he's just as active as she is. I don't see any signs of breeding or practice breeding but I am hopeful. They are both eating well, very active and both enjoy time out of the cage in my bedroom in the evenings. Lioki isn't as daring as Willow...she likes to take great leaps, but he still gets plenty of exercise nevertheless. I am so glad they became fast friends and I know now that they really do love one another. I have never seen any aggression on either side and I am glad their introduction went so smoothly. They both seem to have gained weight and have beautiful healthy coats. I can't wait to see if they will make me a grandma...I'll definately let everyone know if they do. But for now, I am grateful to have 2 of the most gorgeous SFS's on the planet (sorry but they are LOL) and I am enjoying them tremendously. I hope all is well with all of the other members and their lil darlings. Have a great week!
Ellen

Return to “BIRTH & ADOPTION ANNOUNCEMENTS”