Looking for Baby Southern Flying Squirrel on the Eastcoast

Share your joy! Here's the place for newly owned HOFs to announce births and adoptions.

Moderator: Joan

AirmanMiller86
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Looking for Baby Southern Flying Squirrel on the Eastcoast

Postby AirmanMiller86 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:49 am

I have been trying to adopt a flying squirrel for almost 2 years now. I recently moved from Mississippi to South Carolina. I am looking for breeders or someone who may have any babies ready for adoption anywhere on the Southeastern Coast around northcarolina down to florida or anywhere inbetween. I really dont want to have one shipped so I would like one in decent driving distance. I have done all the research a person could do so I know all there is to know about them. I have raised a gray squirrel before years back. Thanks for any help I really hope to find one.

violetlady
NFSA Member

Re: Looking for Baby Southern Flying Squirrel on the Eastcoast

Postby violetlady » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:35 am

There are some hobby breeders in Fl.. Of those on this forum, I don't believe any will ship anyway. There are also those who rescue native SFS & offer them for adoption once they are stabilized. I don't think anyone knows all there is to know about them, not even the "pros" on this forum. That said, I do believe that the admins. here are the best of the best & we are fortunate to have access to the data provided here. Its my understanding that there has been little formal research on them, so much of what is known is from years of practical hands on experiences of enthusiast.
Best wishes in your search.
HOF to Ziggy

AirmanMiller86

Postby AirmanMiller86 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:51 pm

Thanks for the reply... I have started building on a huge cage so I will have it ready whenever I do find me a little baby flier. The cage is 3' wide, 2 ' deep and 5' tall. Its going to have shelfs at different heights and tree branches. My little flyer will have a nice home whenever I finally get one :) Im going to attach a photo of the frame so far.
Attachments
squirrel cage1.jpg
squirrel cage1.jpg (35.7 KiB) Viewed 2708 times

violetlady
NFSA Member

Postby violetlady » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:36 am

Looks like the beginnings of a nice roomy cage. Hope you find a baby to adopt soon.
HOF to Ziggy

AirmanMiller86

Postby AirmanMiller86 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:37 am

Here is my cage finished minus a sleeping box and limbs and a few other acessories that I am going to add. Hope someone can help me find a baby now.
Attachments
squirrelcage3.jpg
squirrelcage3.jpg (49.55 KiB) Viewed 2656 times

violetlady
NFSA Member

Postby violetlady » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:39 am

It appears that you only have the 1 big door in front, you may want to consider adding a smaller door somewhere for feeding. There will likely be times that you may need to add food & or water without letting your furball out. Very neat construction job!
HOF to Ziggy

Return to “BIRTH & ADOPTION ANNOUNCEMENTS”