If anyone is still around, please help.

This forum is set up for the Flyer EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM to address emergencies. The Team will be notified when emergencies are posted. Contact any Moderator listed below to get the Team Notified.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

BJD210
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

If anyone is still around, please help.

Postby BJD210 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:31 pm

I don't need the lecture. I had protections in place but my "soft close" lid on my toilet failed and was stuck slightly open and of course, for the first time that I know of, my little guy found a way to defeat the towel blockade i always have wedged under the bathroom door. He went quiet for 10 minutes so i went looking. of course I find him in the toilet lifeless and stiff. I started chest compressions immediately. After a few presses he gasped for air and then again about 10 seconds later. He started gasping more frequently and started coming back to life. He went through stages of unconsciousness and shaking but now seems to be recognizing me, moving around and breathing decently. My concern is that I could hear the "clicking" associated with aspiration with every breath but now it has faded. Are adults as susceptible to death from aspiration as little ones?

BJD210

Re: If anyone is still around, please help.

Postby BJD210 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:45 pm

It has been about an hour since this happened and his breathing isn't "clicking" anymore. He won't eat or drink yet but he actually seems to be fully conscious He is dry now and curled up in a towel in my shirt, Fingers crossed...

BJD210

Postby BJD210 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:21 am

24hrs later he seems OK. He won't leave the confines of his aviary even with the doors open and he has been sleeping more than usual but I imagine that would be normal if you where temporarily dead just a day ago. I am still concerned about his motor skills, he seems a little clumsy but I might just be hyper sensitive right now.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:51 am

He knows what to do .. just keep an eye on him for clicking. He may be suffering effect of lack of oxygen. Time will tell if any permanent damage. You are the only person I know who has resuscitated one.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

BJD210

Postby BJD210 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:53 pm

I am happy to say my little guy(Jon) is completely normal despite this experience. He was a little off for a couple days after it happened but now he's back to creating mischief as usual. I don't know how long he was out but I must have gotten to him just in time. I have to thank this guy for posting this YouTube video https://youtu.be/QZlu0RciMU0 . It was the first thing I thought of after my initial panic. If I hadn’t watched this video long ago I would have never thought to try to bring him back. The behavior of the squirrel in the video is actually very similar to what I experienced with Jon except Jon had a couple seizures as he was regaining initial consciousness. It was an emotional rollercoaster that night and the couple days that followed but, even though it’s probably all in my head, I am convinced that Jon is more affectionate/bonded than before. He is still trying to make me lose my mind though. It wasn’t more than a week later that I caught him sneaking into the bathroom again. Due to the trauma, I figured that it was possible that he doesn’t remember what happened to him in there so I filled the sink with cold water and dipped him in and then tossed him in his cage without drying him off. He hasn’t gotten near the bathroom since.

For those of you that are Game of Thrones fans you will appreciate the irony in his “resurrection”, his full name is Jon Snow.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:51 pm

BJD210 wrote:I am happy to say my little guy(Jon) is completely normal despite this experience. He was a little off for a couple days after it happened but now he's back to creating mischief as usual.

The healing abilities of these little guys is truly amazing

BJD210 wrote:I have to thank this guy for posting this YouTube video https://youtu.be/QZlu0RciMU0 .

Thanks so much for posting that. It can well help some future furballs.

BJD210 wrote:It was an emotional rollercoaster that night and the couple days that followed

I bet that's an understatement :wink:

BJD210 wrote: but, even though it’s probably all in my head, I am convinced that Jon is more affectionate/bonded than before.

It's not one bit in your mind as I'm sure a lot of rehabbers will tell you. I use to watch my friend Tom Hauk do all kinds of painful things trying to save a flyer and never once was he bitten. They seemed to know he was trying to help.

BJD210 wrote: I filled the sink with cold water and dipped him in and then tossed him in his cage without drying him off. He hasn’t gotten near the bathroom since.

Sounds like the "reminder" stuck this time. :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Emergency Help Needed”