Lethargic and inappetence

This forum is set up for the Flyer EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM to address emergencies. The Team will be notified when emergencies are posted. Contact any Moderator listed below to get the Team Notified.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

cengle
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Lethargic and inappetence

Postby cengle » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:44 pm

Hey guys, I had a baby dropped of at the vet clinic I work at a few weeks ago. She's almost 5 weeks now and has been doing great, but starting this morning she's just seemed really lethargic and not attacking her milk like she usually does. She's been doing very well and she's on Fox Valley milk replacer, but not really taking to other foods right now.

I put her in a new crate last night as the box I had her in was just too small and she couldn't play in it. I bought a medium sized tote from Walmart and she spent the first night in it last night. There was a heating pad underneath half of if and she stayed under a towel right over the top of it all night, but I'm wondering if she still got too cold. She's been in her bonding pouch in a smaller box at work all day and seems to be perking up a bit, but still not really wanting to eat. Suggestions? Thank you!

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Lethargic and inappetence

Postby Joan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:04 am

It's hard to say what's going on. Is she mouth breathing ... like a fish out of water. That and a clicking sound can indicate aspiration. Is she eating solid foods? At 5 weeks mine were weaning themselves as no formula was as good as mama's milk.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

cengle

Postby cengle » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:27 am

Joan wrote:It's hard to say what's going on. Is she mouth breathing ... like a fish out of water. That and a clicking sound can indicate aspiration. Is she eating solid foods? At 5 weeks mine were weaning themselves as no formula was as good as mama's milk.

She was starting to take milk again by that night and has been attacking the syringe since then for her milk. I've been having a hard time getting her to start eating solid foods. She'll lick and nibble a bit at apples and pecans, but not really interested in other fruits or vegetables right now.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:09 am

cengle wrote:She was starting to take milk again by that night and has been attacking the syringe since then for her milk. I've been having a hard time getting her to start eating solid foods. She'll lick and nibble a bit at apples and pecans, but not really interested in other fruits or vegetables right now.

Try giving her some Cheerios to chew on. As long as she's taking the formula don't worry. Some give it up early .. others want it for a long time. She'll gradually add other foods.She might like hazelnuts over pecan at this point as they're easier to open and yes, she can open them. :wink:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Emergency Help Needed”