Neuter experience ... READ

This forum is set up for the Flyer EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM to address emergencies. The Team will be notified when emergencies are posted. Contact any Moderator listed below to get the Team Notified.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Sandi
Juvie Pup
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Neuter experience ... READ

Postby Sandi » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:54 pm

I had cosmo neutered last Tuesday and since then he has chewed himself open needed emergency stitching and now I can not get him to STOP chewing on himself. Like the wound area I am using cream from the vet and neosporin and he chews at the wound and tears his hair out. Can sopmeone PLEASE help me with something to do. I have not slept in days since he almost dies Friday and I am trying to keep him from chewing but................ I NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:22 pm

"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Sandi
Juvie Pup

Postby Sandi » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:43 pm

BEEN THERE DONE THAT nothing works I am at the end of my rope with him and he just will NOT stop. I tried to make like a sock with gauze and well NOTHING!!!!!!!!!

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:11 pm

He was able to reach the wound with an e-collar on?
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Sandi
Juvie Pup

Postby Sandi » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:35 pm

No he has been able toremove any e-collar that we or the vet has made. We have all made about 6 and he removes everyone of them!!!!!!!!!

Kay
NFSA Member

Postby Kay » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:51 pm

I've made collars smaller and smaller until I think they can't breathe, but they can. It has to fit tight behind the jaws. I"ll be thinking about you.
kay

Sandi
Juvie Pup

Postby Sandi » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:47 pm

I actually took a different approach today. i am leaving him alone only giving him his meds thsi morning and then this evening. And so far he has just slept and he is not bitting, chewing or anything. Maybe yester I was afraid to leave him alone and I bothered him tooo much but today I just keep checking about every 15 minutes to make sure he is not chewing and he is just sleeping so I am leaving him alone. I will see how that works. The vet said he can have his meds til he gets his stitches out which should be Monday or Thursday they both said 10-14 days.

Lora
NFSA Member

Postby Lora » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:53 pm

If you resort to anything topical don't use the Bitter Apple. It contains alcohol & will sting. You might want to try Better Bitters instead. It's used to keep birds from picking at themselves.

http://www.flightquarters.com/bird-diap ... ry_Code=OP

Hopefully the meds will do the trick & you won't need to try anything else.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:56 pm

I was over at Tom's this afternoon and we were talking about Cosmo again. He said I had a good idea about the PVC pipe (last night when he, Kay and I were on the CHAT with you) and it could be done without greasing his head and pushing him through. You will likely have to have the vet put him to sleep to get it on, but it can stay until he's healed.

Here's the idea: get a 1" piece of thick PVC. Have it cut vertically so you have 2 pieces that can be put together around his neck. Tape it shut. It should be smaller than the widest circumference of his head so he can't get out of it and long enough that he can't bend his head and chew himself. He'd still be able to eat and drink ... might need help. Tom was even suggesting duct tape doubled over inside to stick to his fur, but you might not need that if the circumference is small enough.
Last edited by Joan on Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandi
Juvie Pup

Postby Sandi » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:41 pm

Ok tonites check in I brought him out to give him all his meds and the ONLY I noticed was that the end of his penis is was VERY VERY red I am calling the vet that neutered him and taking him down to her. The only bad thing I noticed tonite is that a piece of skin is not connected and I can move it so maybe she can glue that back but it is not red in fact it looks good.
Joan, I printed out what you said about the PVC and I am going to take it to her with a piece of pipe so we'll see what she thinks.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:47 pm

Only thing you'd need to do is file the cut pipe smooth if cutting leaves it rough.

Sandi
Juvie Pup

Postby Sandi » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:04 pm

Today I took him to the vet for a check up and was told he had damaged himself beyond repair last Friday when he was stitched after his neutering. He had destroyed his internal organs. So as hard as it was to do I had to put him down. It is the hardest thing I have had to do.

LaurenLovesFlyers
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby LaurenLovesFlyers » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:45 pm

Oh Sandi, I am just so sorry. :sad11: I can't put into words, may little Cosmo rest in peace. You made the right decision to stop him from hurting, and hes looking down from the rainbow bridge at you. It may have been a hard decision, but we know it was one made out of love for him, and with his best interest in mind, and I'm SURE he knows that as well. :angel7: God now has the sweetest angel to keep Him company.
-Lauren-

Rest in peace Fidget, your mommy loves you dearly.

HOF to the bi-polar little boy Bandit <3

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:29 pm

I'm so sorry, Sandi. This is heart breaking. I hope your vet has learned from this and will take measures to prevent the same from happening with the next tiny patient he does any surgery on. The PVC collar sounds like a viable idea for flyers.
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:40 pm

I am so sorry, Sandi, that you are having to go thru this. My prayers are with you.
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:12 pm

i am so sorry sandi. we know you tried everything and did the best you could possibly do.
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

Moca
Flying Furball

Postby Moca » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:41 am

Oh Sandi!! :(
I was SO hoping he could have got through this...
You tried so hard for him and you were doing what you thought was best.
My heart goes out to you.
((big hugs))
Protect wildlife,keep ye cat indoors.
www.abcbirds.org
:coffee: Moca

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:11 am

Sandi I am so sorry . You sure gave that little guy your 100+% God Bless you.
:queen: Ms. BayBea Belle, :tink: Tinkerbelle,
:fly: Linus, :occasion2: Baby Oops, and :love1: Daphne

Gail's (Deep South Home for Flyer Foundlings )

Sandi
Juvie Pup

Postby Sandi » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:35 am

YES I did everything I could I have not slept a whole night since Friday when it first happened. I was up constantly giving him his meds and keeping a close eye on him but, for some reason he just not take to having surgery done and that is unfortunate because he was really loving. And I am going to miss him!! :smt090 But now I know he no longer in pain nor is he suffering. :angel13:

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:15 pm

Sandi, I am very sorry for your loss. Poor Cosmo really went though so much.
You did your best.

Mary

4tupelo
NFSA Member

Re: Neuter experience ... READ

Postby 4tupelo » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:27 am

Hello What a hard post to read. This does prompt me to remind of the healing power of aloe vera inside and out...I used this successfully on Moonbeam whom slid off me an into the hot soup I was sitting on the floor eating an scalded his toes off one rear foot an parts of another. Most all he would eat I would mash up/ground up apple an a pecan but not much the vitamins too were added..The mongoose eats and rubs itself on plantain when bit by a cobra..... I still use both aloe juice internally an plaintain drops topically on me....I would be sure both are very good healers. Topically for the little ones equals internally because they will lick the injured areas....Any of ya all use either? Sorry to for the suffering as I recently should have simply had signs......

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:23 am

Sandi, I am so sorry to read this. I know how terrible you must feel - it always hurts to lose one of your 'babies'.

Judy C.

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:39 pm

Sandie, I just read this post, I'm so sorry but you did the right thing, now he can frolich with all the other squirrels that have past away.
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

Return to “Emergency Help Needed”