Very Swollen Eye

This forum is set up for the Flyer EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM to address emergencies. The Team will be notified when emergencies are posted. Contact any Moderator listed below to get the Team Notified.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

stellia
Juvie Pup
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Very Swollen Eye

Postby stellia » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:37 pm

Hi, just was wondering if anyone could help me with my flyer. Mika's eye is very swollen, weeping, and it doesn't seem like she can shut it. I came home from work last night to give her her dinner and discovered her eye. I don't know what happened... nothing else seems to be injured. After reading some past posts, I ran out to the store to by saline and lubricant drops in the middle of the night to try to rinse it and keep it moist. This morning she could close it a little bit more but still not enough.

From reading posts it sounds like I need an antibiotic eye ointment but I've asked the pharmacist and so far everything is prescription only. Of course it's Easter so no pet store is open to even go on a search for animal antibiotic ointment... if there is such thing as non-prescription. I ended up getting some human lubrication ointment after I got off work today and applied a tiny bit to her eye in hopes it will at least keep it from drying out before I can find the antibiotic kind.

The problem is I moved to an unfriendly state and can't take her to a vet locally. I could drive out of state but am worried about being questioned/asking for a ID, etc. Is there anything else I can do with home treatment? Also if I were to take her to a vet out of state, or risk and find one locally how would I even go about doing that?

Thanks so much!
::Stellia::
Proud mommy & HoF to our cuddlebug, Suki.
Loved by our angel, Mika.
"If Love Could Have Saved You You Would Have Lived Forever"
<3

Kay
NFSA Member

Postby Kay » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:03 pm

Until you can get medical help, a cold compress might help tame down the swelling. (a smooth cloth wet and with ice in it)Talk to other pet owners and call vets. I've never had a vet turn me away unless it's because they don't treat "exotics." You can also tell them you're a wildlife reahbber.... call from a pay phone!! Flyers have great healing capacities.
kay

DinNorman
NFSA Member

Postby DinNorman » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:33 pm

I think that any vet that treats exotics will help you. Sounds like you need to get the eye stained to see if there is a corneal lesion, if so an antibiotic drop only; if just conjuctivitis, then antibiotics plus cortisone might be indicated.

stellia
Juvie Pup

Postby stellia » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:24 pm

Well we got her into the clinic earlier today. Apparently the infection is in the eye itself and not the surrounding skin so they said the eye might be lost. I just don't understand how she can go from perfectly fine to drastically swollen within a day's time.

She was prescribed an antibiotic oral liquid medication and an antibiotic eye ointment. We're supposed to bring her back later this week for a follow up and the eye might have to removed. Which is something I really don't want to have done at all. Is it not possible to leave the eye if it comes to that? I'm not sure what would be required to remove it but I'm just not comfortable with surgery or whatever might have to be done to do it.

In the meantime, I'm struggling to get the syringe in her mouth... she hates it and would rather dig her head downward and stop it with her paws... or tries to escape and jump all over the place. Any tips?
<3

Rhiannonn2626
Flying Furball

Postby Rhiannonn2626 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:20 am

Yeah.. make it taste nice. Ask the vet if you can mix it with something she likes like yogurt or babyfood.
PROUD HOF to Pixie!!!

DinNorman
NFSA Member

Postby DinNorman » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:02 am

Glad you got the eye checked. Putting the antibiotic in flavored yogurt or ice cream may make it palatable. Is she letting you treat the eye satisfactorily? Eye drop up to 6-8 times a day since so little stays on the eye. If the infection is in the eye and uncontrolled, it could get to the brain very easily, as they are millimeters apart and connected via the optic nerve. It is hard to tell you how long to wait before making that decision, but I think I would subject her to the enucleation only on last resort. Good luck with everything and please keep us posted.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:34 am

If she loses the eye, she'll adjust fine. I've know blind flyers that got along well.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

stellia
Juvie Pup

Postby stellia » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:23 pm

I guess it's a frustrating waiting game then. I'm hoping for the best of course whatever that may be. So the eye must be removed if it's damaged but the infection is controlled? Or would it be harmful staying in either way? She's taking the eye ointment well... it's the oral she's fighting. I did get it in her easier this AM since I caught her during her sleepy time. She's just rearing to go when night falls. So I'm going to try to find a earlier "later" time to do the second dose and hope I can catch her while she's still less mobile.

One side concern though... she seems to be drinking lots of water and eating less... like the chewing is bothering her. She tries to eat but takes a few nibbles at a time and drops her food to try again. I tried putting out some "fruit smoothies" for her to lick up but she prefers her food as a solid and her water as liquid. So picky. But maybe I'm just worrying too much and am now noticing the little things more.
<3

DinNorman
NFSA Member

Postby DinNorman » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:16 pm

Understandable that it may hurt her eye to chew. The jaw often puts mild pressure into the eye socket when it articulates. Hope you can save the eye but she will do fine with one, just wont be so handsome.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:26 pm

How's Mika doing?
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

stellia
Juvie Pup

Postby stellia » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:43 am

I'm very relieved to report that Mika had her eye removed yesterday at 11 am and so far she's doing well :D I was really worried about the anesthesia- not including the surgery itself- on such a small animal but thankfully she pulled through. It was the toughest decision to make (and the hardest day to wait for the good or bad news from the vet) but it just wasn't improving and she started scratching at it towards the end of the week. She was either going to take it out herself or a surgeon could so I opted for the latter. After the surgery we brought her home and she immediately ravished some blackberries and pecans (which is the first time she's eaten like herself since it all began) then fell asleep in her blankets.

She's still on her medications (antibiotic and pain med) but we're mixing them with a dab of butter pecan ice cream now so we don't have to fight with her with the stitches in. So far she hasn't noticed. We're also putting her eye ointment on by cutip instead of our fingers for the same reason... don't know if that's doing any good cause the minute we get it on, she swipes it off with her paws. The vet ordered her to be on cage rest for 10 days and the stitches will dissolve on their own. Guess we'll cross our fingers.
<3

aMartyrsHeart
NFSA Member

Postby aMartyrsHeart » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:01 am

I'm glad the surgery went so well for her. Sounds like she'll be her old self again in no time.
Arien G.
HOF to Pikachu
--------------
Wifey to: Derek - married 8 years
Mommy to: Nevaeh (Human girl) - 4 years old
:animaldog: P-Nut and :animaldog: Casey (ChiWeenies)
--------------
R.I.P. Snap (Southern Flying Squirrel)

Chippy
NFSA Member

Postby Chippy » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:38 am

I am so happy that Mika came through the surgery well and you too. It sounds like she is doing well with her post-op. I will pray that she enjoys her R&R and adjusts well to the change. I am sure she loves her HOF for taking such loving care of her. Keep us posted on her recovery.
Martie.....
Proud HOF of Chipper & Cali!

Zoe, I will listen in heaven for your hoof beat.
Gizmo, may you keep God's feet warm.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:13 pm

It amazing how much better they feel when an infection is removed. I saw a sluggish little gray bounce around like nothing had been wrong when his necrotic tail was removed. I'm so glad your baby is feeling better and eating.

stellia
Juvie Pup

Update Pics: Very Swollen Eye

Postby stellia » Mon May 26, 2008 6:25 pm

Just thought I'd post some pre and post-operative pics of Mika's eye surgery so everyone can see how she's healed:

This was before surgery... she couldn't close her eye and it could not be saved. She went from a healthy winter coat and extra body weight to sickly and wet looking...

This was after surgery with stitches still in. The missing fur around the eye was from her scratching at it during the healing process. Tried one of those ring protector things around her neck but she hated it and flopped around like a dead fish. So took it off figuring she'd do more damage with it on. It was nerve wracking during this time with all the ointments, meds, cage confinement, extra caution, etc, but she did spring back quickly...

And these pics were taken just a couple of days ago... a fully healed eye... as well as a currently healed (so far!) swollen cheek (crossing fingers)...

She's back to her old self and is enjoying life... she doesn't even notice her missing eye and I still think she's adorable! In fact, I saw a one-eyed dog at the Renaissance Festival this past weekend dressed up in a pirate's outfit and it made me think of her and smile :D
<3

immatater
Flying Furball

Re: Very Swollen Eye

Postby immatater » Mon May 26, 2008 9:03 pm

She's precious! She looks like she's winking at me :) I'm glad she's recovering well!

Vickie
NFSA Member

Postby Vickie » Mon May 26, 2008 9:45 pm

So glad Mika's doing so well!
First Barnie, and now Jimmy--Zing, went the strings of my heart!

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon May 26, 2008 10:50 pm

Thanks for the photos. Really good before and after. That's one one nasty looking eye. I know she feels better with it gone and she'll do super without it as soon as she adjusts her glide landings. :twisted:

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Tue May 27, 2008 7:19 am

Oh the poor baby. I am so glad that she is doing better now with the eye removed. So much stress for both you and her. I wonder how it got infected.
Best wishes
Mary

Return to “Emergency Help Needed”