new juvenile flyer found HELP!!!

This forum is set up for the Flyer EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM to address emergencies. The Team will be notified when emergencies are posted. Contact any Moderator listed below to get the Team Notified.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

lucy10177
NFSA Member

new juvenile flyer found HELP!!!

Postby lucy10177 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:40 pm

my mother is coming to my house today and she just found a juvie fs on her porch....not sure if it is hurt or not...she was afraid to touch it to see...she says it has its eyes open and fully fured....she is bringing it to me to check it out....if it is not hurt, what should i do with it as i
already have a male about 5 months old and i have heard horror stories of putting them together before letting them get used to each other also, i don't want something to be wrong with it and get my rocky sick....i have a small hamster cage that we kept rocky in until he got his big cage.......what would you suggest that i do?????????
thank you for any help and advice you can give me!!!
paula

lucy10177
NFSA Member

Re: new juvenile flyer found HELP!!!

Postby lucy10177 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:29 pm

also, i have esbilac formula still...should i give it that to start with??? i know to check for signs of dehydration and can get pedialyte if needed but, just wondering about what to feed it to start with since we don't know how long it has been without??
thanks
paula

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:53 pm

I would start him off on pedialyte for a couple of feedings and then start with Esbilac mixed 4 parts water / 1 part Esbilac powder for a few feedings, then go to 3 water/1 powder for a few, and then to the regular 2 water/1 powder. That will give him time to adjust to the change to formula, and if he has any trouble you can always go back a step for a few more feedings if you need to. If you don't want to buy pedialyte when you are going to be using such a small amount, you can use the home made version.

The small cage should be perfectly fine for now, but if you have him for any length of time you will need a bigger one, or get him to a rehabber that is already set up for that sort of thing and can prepare him for release.

Don't forget to keep him quiet and warm! :D Even if he's not a baby, he still has a lot of shock to get over.

Good luck with him,

Judy C.

Kay
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Kay » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 pm

Let us know more details when you get him.
kay

lucy10177
NFSA Member

Postby lucy10177 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:04 am

ya'll are going to laugh your butts off because what my mom found was not a fs but, A BAT!!!!
she's getting old lol.....i was a little disappointed cause i thought rocky had a new buddy lol
THANKS FOR LISTENING OUT FOR ME THOUGH.
paula

lucy10177
NFSA Member

Postby lucy10177 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:06 am

ya'll are going to laugh your butts off because what my mom found was not a fs but, A BAT!!!!
she's getting old lol.....i was a little disappointed cause i thought rocky had a new buddy lol
THANKS FOR LISTENING OUT FOR ME THOUGH.
paula

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:39 am

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Poor mom - bet she was surprised! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Judy C.

Kay
NFSA Member

Postby Kay » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:43 am

What did you do with the bat???
k

immatater
Flying Furball

Postby immatater » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:22 pm

:evilbat: :evilbat: rotflol! Its probably good she didn't touch it then. :evilbat: :evilbat:

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:39 pm

that's funny. your mom must have been completely shocked.
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

lucy10177
NFSA Member

Postby lucy10177 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:58 am

it died....she thinks her cat must have brought it up...we disposed of it..and yes she was very shocked and felt dumb that she didn't know the difference in a fs and a BAT :rofl:

Return to “Emergency Help Needed”