Seizures

This forum is set up for the Flyer EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM to address emergencies. The Team will be notified when emergencies are posted. Contact any Moderator listed below to get the Team Notified.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Seizures

Postby Joan » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:32 pm

Rachael, in England, sent me this e-mail:

Dorothy (my 18month old) flyer has just had a seizure!! i really dont think its MBD because she isnt showing any other symtoms and i give her a varied diet of fruits, nuts,seeds, vegetables (all recommended on your site) also i offer two water bowls one with a calcium & D3 suppliment and one fresh. i offer a combination of fresh veg and some with T-rex 2:1 calcium phosphorus a couple of times a week. Is it plausible that bumping her head would make her fit? im not sure if she falls from having the seizure or whether the fall causes one?! when it happens all the muscles in her entire body stiffen, then she curls up and is really floppy for a few minutes. After she is quiet and sleepy for approx. an hour. Have you heard of this before?! will she always survive them? i really need some help. my details will be with you soon, until then any information you can give me will be of great help, i feel so helpless at moment.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Seizures

Postby Joan » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:33 pm

Anything is possible from head injury to MBD. You really need to see a vet as blood tests might help with a diagnosis. If you can't find a vet to treat her, I'd treat for MBD anyway. I'll post this in the emergency section on the Board and notify the ER team.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Deb
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Deb » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:42 am

You must be very worried for her. There is another flyer with seizures, Sissy. She was given anti-seizure medication to control them. And I believe I heard she has outgrown the seizures and no longer needs the meds.
I am hoping your baby's problem will be a simple one to fix.
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

DinNorman
NFSA Member

Postby DinNorman » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:39 am

It sounds like epileptiform seizures to me although MBD must be addressed. Treat for MBD and see if seizures persist; if so, you will have to consult a veterinarian. If seizures are mild and infrequent, there are some who prefer to NOT treat with chronic medication, but rather let the seizures happen, but only if mild and infrequent. Some seizures are a temporary phenomenon and, even if medicated for, one can slowly withdraw the medication after a period of time.
David

rachaelA
Baby Flyer

Postby rachaelA » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:29 am

Thank you so much for all the response, it have been of great help! it is reassuring to know that there is treatment available. At the moment im trying to locate a vet in the UK that can treat her. so any info you guys have will help enormously. I will keep you all posted. thanks again for the response! xxx

rachaelA
Baby Flyer

Postby rachaelA » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:09 pm

hello,
dorothy had another seizure this evening, like before she seemed to fall from my clothes. this time the stages were more evident, she all the muscles in her body appeared to contract, then she curled up in a ball; motionless, then she made a little noise and her tail muscles contracted. then what appeared to be from no where; she leaped out of my hands and darted accross the floor extremely fast, almost like a reflex action. once to had hold of her a again i held her securely to me and she staired in my face with her neck held up, she was then quiet and appeared to come round quite fast. she then began getting comfy in my top, and reacting when i stroked her (during the fit she doesnt seem to react to anything) i have her back in her cage now but she is very quiet. i have been disturbing her every 5mins or so and she pops her head out to see and then wriggles back into her jeans (she has a pair of jeans hanging by the button from the roof of her cage, which she loves!) if this sounds familiar to anybody, please please give me info. as nobody in england has experience of the little darlings you guys are my only real source of info, so please if you know any more!

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:16 pm

Rachael, contact Anita sugaraesattic@bellsouth.net to find out what meds her vet ordered and how they were given.

rachaelA
Baby Flyer

Postby rachaelA » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:39 pm

thanks joan! have done so. x

rachaelA
Baby Flyer

Postby rachaelA » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:31 am

I think its important i write an update of the most recent information i have regarding seizures for anybody else suffering the same. Dorothy began having seizures in early adolesence, by the time she was fully grown she stopped getting them however she suffered a drastic change in personality and became very aggressive and i was unable to touch her (the vet told me this is due to damage to the brain caused by seizures.) She was very happy and contented in her home and was very house-proud. By the time she began entering older age she started getting seizures again whilst in her nest, then two days ago sje suffered a huge seizure which lasted much longer and left her with a stroke, this only lasted for a few hours after before she suffered another seizure. This time it was too much for her to come out of and sadly i lost her. I want others to be aware of what happens when their dear little flyer sufferes seizures and to know what to expect. The vet told me that her experience followed a classic sequence, if you suspect your flyer has grown out of seizures as they become mature please be aware that old age causes a return of the symptoms. I have probably waffled on quite alot but i am still raw from my loss.
I hope this helps anybody experiencing the same.

rachaelA
Baby Flyer

Postby rachaelA » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:31 am

I think its important i write an update of the most recent information i have regarding seizures for anybody else suffering the same. Dorothy began having seizures in early adolesence, by the time she was fully grown she stopped getting them however she suffered a drastic change in personality and became very aggressive and i was unable to touch her (the vet told me this is due to damage to the brain caused by seizures.) She was very happy and contented in her home and was very house-proud. By the time she began entering older age she started getting seizures again whilst in her nest, then two days ago sje suffered a huge seizure which lasted much longer and left her with a stroke, this only lasted for a few hours after before she suffered another seizure. This time it was too much for her to come out of and sadly i lost her. I want others to be aware of what happens when their dear little flyer sufferes seizures and to know what to expect. The vet told me that her experience followed a classic sequence, if you suspect your flyer has grown out of seizures as they become mature please be aware that old age causes a return of the symptoms. I have probably waffled on quite alot but i am still raw from my loss.
I hope this helps anybody experiencing the same.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:23 pm

Rachael, I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Was Dorthy ever put on anti-seizure medication?

rachaelA
Baby Flyer

Postby rachaelA » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:43 am

Thank you. I found a vet who balanced the pros and cons to the medication and they decided it was better for her quality of life not to medicate, i am still glad i went with this decision as she was very happy and very alert, quick thinking with a sense of humour, the vets explained that she would lose her alertness and spark if medicated. She did spend most of her life not suffering from the seizures, they only happened when she was young and as she entered old age. I am not sure why she got them, i am conserned that it was due to inbreeding in the UK based on this i would never have another of these beautiful little creatures. Having said that i will remain a huge fan of squirrels :-D

littlefoot

Postby littlefoot » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:00 am

I have a male southern flying squirrel, Littlefoot. He is a little over a year old now. Just a few minutes ago, Littlefoot had a seizure. He seemed fine, jumped out of him cage onto my shirt, and ran around like normal. Then he started moving weird,(he was on my back so I couldn't see what he doing) and making the "squeak, squeak, squeak" noise. I knew what was happening (this has happened a few times before) so I grabbed him before he fell. He was curled up in a fetal position with his eyes half closed. His legs were held tightly to his body, paws curled up. Littlefoot was basically lifeless. But after a few minutes he opened up, started moving, then stole a nut off the top of his cage and ran back inside to hoard it like nothing happened.

He isn't showing any other signs of MBD. So what do I do about the seizures? Is it MBD? A head injury? Or just seizures?

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:34 am

Best to see a vet and get a proper diagnosis. If it's happened before and then he seem OK, it could be a seizure disorder that can can be controlled with medication, but seizures can be a symptom of many things; so it best to get him seen.

rachaelA
Baby Flyer

Postby rachaelA » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:43 pm

Hi Littlefoot (what a cute name)
That sounds very similar to what happened to dorothy around the same age! It is so distressing for you to see, but the vet told me they do not know anything about it at the time of it happening.
She grew out of them when fully mature (as my vet predicted) but she did suffer a huge personality change, which i thought was due to maturity however the vet told me it was due to the damage caused to her brian from the seizures. She stopped getting them when she was fully grown (sorry i cannot remember what age that was exactly.) It wasn't until what my vet told me was her entering old age at 3 1/5 years she started getting them again. By this time she was a stroppy little madam so i couldn't handle her but i could tell because i saw her emerge from her bed with wet down her side (she used to wet herself when she had the seizures) and she was sleeping more regular, this made me realise they had returned. I was so upset but the vet said this was to be expected with the condition she had, the vet told me that 3 1/2 was a good age to get to with the condition.
I had been very meticulous with her diet and supplements, also giving her LOADS of stimulation, with toys and doing my best to replicate her natural environment (an open tray with safe-to-eat foliage, twigs, nut shells etc in for her to burry food in was one of her favourites) the vet explained that the care contributed to her lifespan.
Joan is right, you definately need to see a vet, maybe a few if you can just for a difference in opinion. Dorothy was never medicated which i still feel was the right decision but all animals and owners are different, so see what the vets say.

If Littlefoot has any questions, or want to chat about it please please send me them because i couldnt find very much on this when i experienced it with little dorothy. You are more than welcome :-) and good luck with Littlefoot.
xxx

DinNorman
NFSA Member

Postby DinNorman » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:41 pm

He may never have another seizure; but likely he will. Epileptiform seizures can be very hard on them. Some outgrow them; but others are haunted for a lifetime. I would recommend a veterinary checkup, and use medication if needed. Generally, we start with very low doses and only increase if indicated.
David

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:05 pm

David is right ... the seizures themselves are hurtful to the brain. The pups I have know about who had seizures were placed on medication and later, when older, where able to get off it.

Urabus

Postby Urabus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:11 am

I have the same issues and always have.. My squirrel goes from 100% mobile, darting around acrobatically, crawling all over me. Then suddenly falls off my clothing drops to the floor and balls up slightly and seizures.. I thought at first it was from fright or startle but time after time when handling it happens. I don't know what to think. They eat greens, apples, yogurt, nuts, rat food, meal worms occasionally.. I just dont get it. I dont even handle it much anymore for i fear it will fall for the last time an break its neck. Im really unsure what the problem is. I will again tonight take it out but my guess is it will end the same way. Freeze up. drop, seizure... no good. I dont have the money to bring it to the vet. I have been away from the forum for some time

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:36 am

Urabus wrote: ... I dont have the money to bring it to the vet.

I don't know how you can get the medication that might be needed without seeing a vet.

tspunk
Baby Flyer

Postby tspunk » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:16 am

my flyer, now 3 years old, has the same problem.

however, he ONLY has seizures when he's out of the cage. due to fear of this, i pretty much let him stay in the cage all day, everyday. i do leave the door open, but he never comes out on his own.

:(

he has been taken care of with correct nutrients. his main food was always henry's healthy blocks + any fresh fruits and veggies.

it has gotten to the point where i don't think it's diet, but to make his last year(s) happier, i tend to give him more treats now.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:03 am

tspunk wrote:... however, he ONLY has seizures when he's out of the cage.

Are these seizures with convulsions and unconsciousness or freezing in place?

DinNorman
NFSA Member

Postby DinNorman » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:55 pm

Sound to me, that the anxiety of being out of his cage, is the instigator. Seizures are complex and have a variety of factors that may cause them. Calcium levels may also be involved, so be sure he is properly fed. If it is the anxiety, you can only contol by eliminating the cause, or by anti-seizure medication that would have to be given daily.
David

Return to “Emergency Help Needed”