Pippin not feeling so well

This forum is set up for the Flyer EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM to address emergencies. The Team will be notified when emergencies are posted. Contact any Moderator listed below to get the Team Notified.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Rez
Baby Flyer
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Pippin not feeling so well

Postby Rez » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:11 pm

Monday she was fine taking nuts and things from me as usual, and then tuesday morning i went to check on her, i poked around in the pouch she sleeps in and i guess i scared her because she bolted , and next thing i knew she was on the bottom of the cage, i didnt see her but i think she might of smacked one of the landings in her cage on the way down but it was only a a few inch drop. After she hit the ground, she began to spasm kicking her back legs, and then her front legs almost as if she was trying to brush of her whiskers vigorously, she was still pretty active and would move around and crawl on me, she is still able to hang onto the cage walls, and from the ceiling, but now she is having a loss of appetite, i was able to get her to eat a little bit of danon yogurt peach flavored around 20 mins ago. This morning i found her sleeping on the floor of her cage, and now she is just laying on the landing, not showing an interest in anything. I tried to get her to eat some broccoli, but she just ignore's it. Earlier today i mixed up some esbilac, nutrical, a little bit of calcium (off of her calcium block) and water and gave her half of a 1cc syringe, every few hours. She had another little fit today with her legs and actually fell over before she started the fit, im afraid it could be head trauma, seizures, or metabolic bone disease. She just had another one of her fits, as I was typing this, I already have a appointment with a vet in the morning who handles exotic animals. Is there anything i can do for her in the meantime? she seems to be more inclined to stay with me then go back into her cage. Which is odd behavior for her, because she has always been a bit on the wild side, and wanted to run around all over the place. T.T

Her normal diet consists of apples, carrots, pears, calcium block, pecans, walnuts, a dietary snack mix which contains ( sunflower nuts, raisins, pumkin seeds, cashews, and almonds), she eats meal worms occasionally, and i give her cheerios as treats.
-Nicole (owned by Pippin)

Rez
Baby Flyer

Re: Pippin not feeling so well

Postby Rez » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:17 pm

update: still not eating much, now she is just laying on my lap, she wont close her eyes to nap but she wont move around much either. she is breathing normal, no gasping or panting. she is reacting to sound when i snap my fingers behind her, her ears twitch. Im going to try and give her some more yogurt and see if she will eat it, and syringe feed her some more of the esbilac mixture i made for her earlier.

EDIT: she just had another fit a few minutes after i posted this, still spasming, and moving like she is trying to get something off of her face, and she is opening and closing her jaw, i can hear her teeth grinding together a bit, jaw chattering.

Rez
Baby Flyer

Postby Rez » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:22 am

she is feeling a little better this morning, her vet appointment is in 3.5 hours, im going to try and get her to eat something in the meantime.

DinNorman
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby DinNorman » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:50 am

Hopefully the doctor will find something treatable, but with the symptoms described, it may be a difficult diagnosis. Let us know how things progress.
David

CatStina
Flying Furball

Postby CatStina » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:57 am

I am so sorry about Pippin. It's so scary when something goes wrong, because they are so small and fragile and there isn't much written about them. I wish I could be helpful, but all I can do is hope for the best with your vet visit. It sounds like she is getting all the vitamins and minerals she needs. Let us know what the vet says. Tell Pippin to feel better.
~t Christina j~
Loving Squammy of Emo (RIP, 3/17/2006-6/15/2012)

Mom to Bowie the Fat Cat, Ziggy the Tiny Cat, Saxon the Staffordshire Bull Terrier and Neljä and Viisi the gerbils

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:25 am

At this stage it's best to rely on your vet. In the mean time, check to see if there is a possibility she could have gotten into anything toxic.. house plants, insecticides, fertilizer (even potting soil has toxins). My first impression is that she has injested something she shouldnt have.

Good luck, keep us posted.
peep
State and Federal permit holder

Rez
Baby Flyer

Postby Rez » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:01 am

she hadn't been out of her cage for 2 days prior to all of this starting, because i wasn't nearby. I do use a glade air freshener thing in my room that sprays every once in a while, is it possible it could be making the air to toxic for her? I also recently cleaned out her cage. The fits are getting a bit more frequent now, and she is back to just laying around. She wont really eat to much other than .2 of a 1cc syringe, of the esbilac mixture.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:23 am

Let us know what the vet says. I had one pup put of the 31 that Chuck & Mishi have produced that developed seizure totally unrelated to diet. She was placed on anti-seizure medication and did well eventually out-growing the seizures and having pups of her own.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

CatStina
Flying Furball

Postby CatStina » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:17 am

That is very interesting, Joan. I didn't know they could go on medication. It must have been a pain to get her to take them, I know it would be with Emo.
~t Christina j~

Mom to Bowie the Fat Cat, Ziggy the Tiny Cat, Saxon the Staffordshire Bull Terrier and Neljä and Viisi the gerbils

Rez
Baby Flyer

Postby Rez » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:32 pm

ok, so she was very dehydrated, had two of her fits while we were there, which was good in a way because the vet got to see what i was talking about. He gave pippin a calcium injection and 2 injections of fluids. He gave me liquid calcium to give to her 2 times a day, unless she has another fit, then i should give her some after the fit is over. He said she is in the critical stage and could go either way depending on her care. I have to keep her on a liquid diet for the next two weeks, feeding half a cc to a full cc four to six times a day.

He is pretty sure that the seizures are coming from lack of calcium, though they could also be coming from low sugar as well.
I have to keep her confined to a pet transport carrier to keep her from injuring herself any further, with a heating pad under it to regulate her temperature.
We talked about her diet, and due to she is picky and only eats what she wants, he wants me to put her on 60% rat chow, 30% fruits and veggies preferably veggies, and 10% nuts, and gave me a list of the things that would be best for her. Im still keeping her on the LM vitamins and nutrients to put in her water, and will be going to get calcium to sprinkle onto her food once she is back to eating solids.
If her seizures continue frequently today, he wants me to call him in the morning and let him know how she is doing.

Now that she has had some fluids injected, and a calcium injection, as well as her body getting warmed up, she is perking up. He did give her some valium to keep her a bit calm while we were at the vet. she tried to bite him lol, and me when i got home, so she is feeling a bit like her old self, if only a little.

For now her liquid diet consists of stage 2 baby food veggie or fruit, with a little bit of carnivore care powder mixed in, a little water for hydration, nutrical when needed.

She is definitely fighting it though so i think we have a chance ^^.
thanks for all the help so far, ill keep everyone updated on her health as it goes up or down.

CatStina
Flying Furball

Postby CatStina » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:17 pm

Thanks for the update, I'm glad to hear she is feeling better. Hopefully she'll be back to her old self soon!
~t Christina j~

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:47 pm

Diet and nutrition can seriously affect these little darlings, and a lot of new members seem to be having this very issue.

Too much phosphorus in their diet can block absorption of calcium. Limit sunflower seeds, peanuts and corn. They are low in calcium and high in phosphorus.

Give her acorns, pecans, hazelnuts raw only. These are part of their natural diet.

Foods that have a optimal calcium to phosphorus ratio are:
avacado, brocoli (stem only) plums, rutabaga, cauliflower,tangerine,romain lettuce, yams (not sweet potato) watermelon, persimmon, raspberry, blueberry, carrot, okra, endive, squash, cantalope dandelion greens.

Foods that have a higher ratio of phosphorus to calcium and should be limited to only one or two servings per week are:
apples,bananas, grapes, mushrooms,peas,eggplant,pumpkin,iceberg lettuce,peaches.

This is a short list, but should help correct her diet. I will send Joan a complete ratio chart for approval to post.

Also don't forget the need for sunlight!!! Even though flying squirrels are nocturnal, they often sun themselves during the daytime to absorb vitimin D. Place her cage where she has access to sunlight, or use a uva/uvb light on her and let her bask as she feels the need.

Best of luck,
peep

Rez
Baby Flyer

Postby Rez » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:05 am

she seems to be much more feisty today only problem is, feeding her the liquid diet he wanted her on until she was stronger is difficult, she still had 4 more seizures and i feel most of them were my fault, because when i would go in to get her from the carrier to feed her, she would spaz out trying go everywhere all at once, and she has bitten me every single time as well, then goes into another seizure, is there anything i can do to make her more calm? so i can give her her medicine as well as feed her without starting off the seizures.

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:15 am

Since she is currently under your vet's care, I would call him and ask what to give her, I would not want to suggest anything that may interfere with his treatment or worsen her condition.

Are you trying to feed her by syringe or just putting in a container to let her lap it on her own? Most likely she is still in a lot of pain and does not want to be handled. If you can let place a container in the carrier and let her lap it on her own, she may be better off. Stress is the last thing she needs right now.

I know that if you are anxious and nervous when you approach her, she will be too. Handle her with a calm and positive attitude and hopefully she'll calm down. Flyers are highly sensitive to your emotions.
peep

Rez
Baby Flyer

Postby Rez » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:33 am

Well its sunday and she seems to be back on her normal routine of hopping everywhere and anywhere, i got her these little ice cream cone shaped calcium blocks and she seems to really love them, takes em all over the carrier with her gnawing on them. she is eating well now on her own, and drinking again, but i still just stick the syringe in to feed her a little bit every four hours, just to keep the diet goin. She is still on the liquid diet, but she has a choice of the rat pellets if she chooses them. She is very alert and is a little less aggressive as the days go by. She hasn't had a seizure since Friday. She is still home bound to the carrier by doctors orders for a while, to give her body time to strengthen again. Though she has been very active all throughout the day since Friday, very interested in what im doing, and checking out the little carrier a thousand times over. I've been going and sitting outside and reading for 20 minutes to half an hour both friday, saturday and sunday to give her the sunlight she needs.
All in all she seems to be one happy squirrel again, though still quite the wild child.

DinNorman
NFSA Member

Postby DinNorman » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:05 am

Sounds like the seizures were hypocalcemic in nature, and she is responding to treatment. Time to evaluate her previous diet and make adjustments to keep the calcium and Vit D3 adequate; just dont over do it. Glad to hear of the good progress.
David

CatStina
Flying Furball

Postby CatStina » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:27 am

Glad to hear she's doing well! You're lucky to have such a good vet for Pippin.
~t Christina j~

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:26 pm

Sorry Nicole to not be on here supporting you I've been of for a while but it seems like everything is looking up. I have these air fresheners that are all natural I'll tell you when I find out what it's called, but there great and flyer friendly :)
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:45 pm

Okay the air freshener is a called a redefuser.

R.I.P Taz

Ohatsie
Juvie Pup

Postby Ohatsie » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:13 pm

I think you mean Reed Diffusers Travis, :twisted:
They're great for people with asthma as well, because they use natural reeds to suck up sented oils, which diffuse into the air through the reeds.
No aerosols or smoke. COOL STUFF.
Colin

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:26 am

Oh yeah, sounded like that when my mom told me over the phone :D

R.I.P Taz

CatStina
Flying Furball

Postby CatStina » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:52 am

They actually work surprisingly well. I have them in my room back home next to the cat's litter box and you don't even know I have a litter box in my room until you see it.
~t Christina j~

toiveajattelu
Flying Furball

Postby toiveajattelu » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:01 pm

Peep and Joan: I'm confused, because one of you has said elsewhere on this site that sweet potatoes have the optimal c/p ratio, and the other seems to be saying that they don't! Should I be buying sweet potatoes or yams?

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:43 am

Sweet potatos are find,but like most things, don't overdue especially sice they are "sweeter" than a lot of other vegetables. I've had no problem with them and I know Tom hasn't with the Wild Bunch. maybe peep has had a difference experience nad can tell you about that.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Emergency Help Needed”