need some advice

This forum is set up for the Flyer EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM to address emergencies. The Team will be notified when emergencies are posted. Contact any Moderator listed below to get the Team Notified.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

kribcon
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

need some advice

Postby kribcon » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:05 am

I found 3 baby flying squirrels in our house 3 weeks ago. I think they are around 7 or 8 weeks of age..they all were doing well, till yesterday i noticed the ones genitals all swollen and red and now today a little puss around the area... any idea whats wong?

Judy C.

Re: need some advice

Postby Judy C. » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:12 am

I am assuming that the squirrel with the problem is a male? Often the siblings, or even the squirrel himself, will 'nurse' on the penis. You can try feeding them more often - sometimes that will stop it. But since you say that there is pus, that means there is an infection, and he will need antibiotics. You did not say what state you are in, so I don't know whether or not you are 'legal'. Let us know where you are and maybe we can help you find a vet or rehabber near you.

What, how much, and how often are you feeding them? What sort of cage or container do you have them in, and do they have a nest box or a pouch for sleeping? Fleece is the best nesting material for them - it is warm, doesn't ravel. and has no loops that their toes can get hung up in. Towels are bad, since they are easy to get caught in.

Let us know the answers, and we will be better set to help you.

Oh, and Welcome to the board!

Judy C.

kribcon

Postby kribcon » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:04 pm

Thank you for welcoming me. I live in Pennsylvania in the northwestern part of the state. I'm just now reseaching if they are leagal or not. (do you know?) I know this is going to sound ridiculous, but i'm not sure which are boys or girls. I found a web site on how and what to feed them 3 weeks ago.. The first week I fed them 1 part puppy milk replacer mixed with 1/4 heavy whipping cream and 1/4 water every 3-4 hrs with a childs medicine dropper and little pieces of peanuts and fruit (apples, cranberries and strawberries) I've tried giving them veggies but they wern't eating them. And I leave fresh water in a shallow container. The last couple of days I introduced dry puppy chow and more nuts and fruit and they havn't been that interested in their milk.. so i've been also keeping it in a shallow dish in their cage.(not using the dropper at all so i can see if thats the problem) We built a cage for them this weekend and moved them in which they love and they have been sleeping in old t-shirts. We built it out of an old cedar fence (which i saw on here "cedar bedding" is bad for them so i assume the cage is going to be rebuilt..which my husband is giong to love :D ) I hope you can help me help them with there diet/sleeping and medical problems!!! I would also like to say this web site is amazing..so much info and i wish i would of found it 3 weeks ago!

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:31 pm

Here's an entire section on feeding: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=159
Also a section on sexing: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=80
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

kribcon

Postby kribcon » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:33 pm

Thanks for the info..I think i have all 3 girls. The one with the infection is kinda hard to tell, but i believe it's a girl. She seems to be getting worse..always cleaning herself, her legs,tail and belly all around the area. Could it still be the nursing problem even with a girl and should i put the one thats not feeling well by herself?

DinNorman
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby DinNorman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:30 am

Sounds like an infection. I would recommend you see a vet. and get some antibiotics before thngs get worse.
David

Return to “Emergency Help Needed”