Babies not gaining weight and diarrhea

This forum is set up for the Flyer EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM to address emergencies. The Team will be notified when emergencies are posted. Contact any Moderator listed below to get the Team Notified.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

MsOakley

Babies not gaining weight and diarrhea

Postby MsOakley » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:24 pm

Hello,

I'm experienced with raising orphaned gray squirrels but fairly new to flyers. On Friday 10/1 I took in 2 babies, 10 grams, furred, eyes closed. They appeared to be uninjured but have not gained a gram in 4 days. I'm feeding them Fox Valley, Day One 32/40 about eight feedings per day. I started with .25 ccs per feeding, then bumped it to .3 ccs over the past few days since they weren't gaining. At their last feeding one had almost liquid stool. Perhaps too much formula? I'm thinking of trying some bene bac and of course reducing the quantity. Do you think I'm not feeding them often enough? I've been told 12 feedings a day is ideal. That's so hard for me to manage. I sure would like to do right by these sisters. Could you offer me some direction? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
MsOakley
Last edited by MsOakley on Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

peep
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Re: Babies not gaining weight and diarrhea

Postby peep » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:37 am

Mrs. Oakley,

The feeding schedule and amount of intake depends on their age and weight. The rule of thumb is 5% of the infant's body weight. A 20g baby should take in 1cc of formula.

It sounds like they are taking in a very large volumn of formula for their age, most likeley due to the incorrect feeding schedule. I do not like Bene-bac for infant squirrels - bloat becomes an issue. Instead, mix a few drops of Activia yogurt with the formula. Feed every 3 hours during the day, and at least 1 feeding during the night.

I would start back with pedialyte every 3 hours for 24 hours, then go back to the formula. It will take some patience to get them regulated, but it can be done. You do have to be consistant with the feeding schedule, though.
peep
State and Federal permit holder

MsOakley

Re: Babies not gaining weight and diarrhea

Postby MsOakley » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:26 am

Thanks for replying, peep. I feel really dumb, I mistyped the amount I was feeding. Instead of 3cc it should have read .3 and I've corrected it on my post . The rescue group I volunteer for thinks 2.5% of their body weight is appropriate. I thought it too little so I tried 3%. We add some ultraboost that Fox Valley sells which adds fat to the formula. Perhaps that's why we feed less per feeding. Also, the smaller amount per feeding may account for the greater number of daily servings I was told to feed (12). They are finally up to 12 grams. But that's only a 2 gram gain over a 6 day period. Seems hardly enough. I'm used to the grays gaining 2 grams per day. Thanks for the yogurt tip, I'll try it.

Regards,
MsOakley

Return to “Emergency Help Needed”