baby squirrel vomiting

This forum is set up for the Flyer EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM to address emergencies. The Team will be notified when emergencies are posted. Contact any Moderator listed below to get the Team Notified.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

natecarey
Baby Flyer
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

baby squirrel vomiting

Postby natecarey » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:18 pm

I have two 3-5 week old babies. I have been feeding them the puppy formula/heavy whip mixture every 4 hours(ish). One of them it vomiting up the mix. Most recently she 'held it down' for two hours before puking it up. The other one has not seemed to have any problem with the feeding schedule or the mix. Should I try using another formula for her? Maybe a kitten mix (as opposed to a puppy mix?) Change frequency of feeding?? I'm very concerned - advice??!!! Help!!

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: baby squirrel vomiting

Postby Joan » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:01 pm

Will send this on to the rehabbers to answer. I use Esbilac Goat's Milk puppy formula which is gentlier on the stomach. I add nothing to it. There are suppliments for added calories if needed. Also, are you putting some solid foods in for them? Try applesauce or some babyfood. I have 4 week olds trying to gnaw into acorns.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

DinNorman
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby DinNorman » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:09 pm

You may want to "rest" the stomach for a few feedings by just feeding pedialyte or something similar. If vomiting ceases, gradually add more and more formula.
David

peep
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby peep » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:42 pm

You may want to "rest" the stomach for a few feedings by just feeding pedialyte or something similar. If vomiting ceases, gradually add more and more formula.
David

Agree.
Squirrels are not capable of vomiting. They will however, regurgitate excess formula if they are over-fed, or have gorged because of too long intervals between feeding.

What does the stool and urine look like? If the stool is solid white and mushy, it's over-feeding, or formula too rich.

Feed the baby 5% of his body weight (in grams) every 3-4 hours. Start over with pedialyte for at least 18 hrs. If he tolerates that, switch back to formula only - no cream. The only reason to suppliment formula is if they are not thriving or came in the door malnourished. If vomiting is still an issue, take them to a rehabber, or if these are your pets, take them to your vet for evaluation.
peep
State and Federal permit holder

Return to “Emergency Help Needed”