MBD????? HELP!!!

This forum is set up for the Flyer EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM to address emergencies. The Team will be notified when emergencies are posted. Contact any Moderator listed below to get the Team Notified.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Bejammie
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

MBD????? HELP!!!

Postby Bejammie » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:07 pm

HELP!!! MBD!! TIMBER CAN'T CLIMB UP THE CAGE, WE WERE GONE FOR VACAY FOR 4 DAYS BUT DELILAH IS FINE...HE IS EATING YOGURT NOW..PLEASE CALL ME JOAN OR SOMEONE...8645044710...PLEASE!!!
♠ Allison ♠
Squammy to Delilah and Timber
-Always remembering my little wild guy, Sprocket- gliding free in those southern breezes-
-The life of a lamb is no less precious to me than that of a human being.- Ghandi

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: MBD????? HELP!!!

Postby Joan » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:20 pm

I know you have started treatment, but go ahead and post what you are doing and I'll notify the ER Team and see if they have other ideas. Hope you catch Wanda at home.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Bejammie
NFSA Member

Postby Bejammie » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:29 pm

I went and got fresh kale, 4 flavors of yogurt, a fresh cuttlebone (there was already one in the cage), and fresh broccolli. Chase held him in fleece while I went to get the things. We placed him in a box (office paper box) with lots of fleece and partially covered the top so it would be dark in there. We gave him water as the very first thing, since we were gone to the beach for 3 days and had just gotten back (we left them with plenty of food and water and everything, but he must have started to show symptoms and not been able to move up to the top of the cage for at least a few hours to get water, so he was obviously dehydrated,too), and we gave him some vanilla yogurt, which he ate a good bit of. After going and getting the emergency groceries and cuttlebone we offered him the kale, brocolli, some reptocal mixed with babyfood applesauce, some cuttlebone ground up and mixed with peanutbutter and also a bit mixed with honey, and some plain dannon yogurt, as well as water. He didn't want anything at all. He can crawl around the bottom of the box, and he is alert when we wake him up but he is sleeping and it is 12:10 a.m!! We gave him some drops of vitadrops for hamsters, I added some according to the directions to a secondary source of water and also placed a small drop right on his lips (as per the MBD post treatment suggested), he didn't like the taste of course and was having not much of it. We placed his box on top of the cage (which delilah is still in, and she is moving around just fine?) Chase said when he went to check on him he noticed he has now had some diarrhea. I wonder if this is from all of that water and the vanilla yogurt?

Please tell me whatever I need to do. I just want him to get better as soon as possible. I was so worried that it was too late when we just found him there on the bottom of the cage. Chase said he tried to crawl up but fell back down. :( We both started panicking and chase pulled him out of the cage and held him and we started trying to find rehabbers to call. I pulled up the messageboard and posted first thing and then called some local vets. I read the MBD page probably 4 times but was so panicky I don't think I actually retained any information at all until I came back and read it again later. After he drank some water he perked up a bit but he is still not able to use his back legs like he should be. I hate that he is in pain! :( I am trying to find l&M vitamins online and have them overnight shipped but so far I can't find anywhere that has them. I was so worried that he was going to die, I didn't know how long I would have and he looked so pitiful laying on the bottom of the cage! Delilah was so mad at us for messing with him that she was consistently attacking us the entire time. How long without drinking some of the vitamin water before his symptoms get worse? I am not sure if he is just full from the yogurt and water or if he has lost his appetite? I feel like it must be D2 or D3, since they had constant access to cuttlebone? Their cage was in a dark corner and Chase and I had even started making plans to build a cage in the living room so they would get more sunlight(we aren't at our house where they have full range in our bedroom, we are in a camper due to our work circumstances at this time, so they have to stay in a cage unless it's play time in the tent).

Thanks for your help and I apologize for the length, I just figured the more information you had the more you could help. :)

Allison and Chase
♠ Allison ♠
-Always remembering my little wild guy, Sprocket- gliding free in those southern breezes-
-The life of a lamb is no less precious to me than that of a human being.- Ghandi

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:49 pm

In addition to the great information here on NFSA, also check out the MBD info at TSB. The addy should be listed under my signature. Good luck with your baby.

Judy C.

Bejammie
NFSA Member

Postby Bejammie » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:19 am

He made it through the night, but I was so worried. Has anyone ever had a flyer make a comeback from MBD?? Will he ever be able to fly again? Oh gosh I just can't stop crying, I can't believe this has happened to my sweet little baby! He doesn't have much of an appetite.
♠ Allison ♠

Delight
Juvie Pup

Postby Delight » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:32 pm

Unfortunately with animals so small they mask their illness as in the wild survival instinct kicks in and they will not show any real symptoms until it is life threatening. Squirrels WILL come back from MBD if it's caught soon enough. Do you have a vet you could bring your boy to? Even though a lot of vets will not treat exotics if you find a vet that works on small animals (rabbits/rats/mice etc) they may be able to help you as the squirrel is a rodent. Most vets are familiar with MBD and if he's already this weak you may be able to convice a vet to look at him by stating you have no other option even if they're not experienced with squirrels he's certainly better off having an unexperienced vet look at him than not having any vetrinary guidence at all. You will probably need some liquid calcium drops, which a vet can prescribe you. How old is your flying squirrel? If he's fairly young he may have a chance of full recovery. If he's already fairly old he may have issues with recovery and suffer with brittle bones even after the inital MBD is resolved, if it gets resolved. I really reccomend taking him into the vet - pester them! Even if the person that answers the phone says "we don't treat squirrels" tell them you NEED to talk to a vet, if they treat small animals of any time other than cats and dogs they can probably offer some type of guidence. This is why it is good to figure out where you're going to take your babies before this kind of thing happens and build a repour with a vet that you can trust and know will take good care of your little ones. I am so sorry you are having to go through this, it is really difficult. My very first flying squirrel Mari suffered from MBD when I got her at 2 1/2yrs old luckly I had an amazing vet that was willing to learn about squirrel care and he helped me fight it, she lived with me for nine more years before she passed on a couple months ago from kidney failure. Good luck with it! I hope he gets well soon.
Owned by 5 flyers, 1 geoffroys cat, 1 african serval, 1 bengal, 1 parrot & 1 dog. www.totallytameexotics.yolasite.com

Bejammie
NFSA Member

Postby Bejammie » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:24 pm

rehabbers at the squirrel board sent me to a vet in raleigh, we took him there and they determined it was a bladder blockage. They gave him xrays and then a catheter trying to remove the blockage but couldn't. They drained his bladder and it was cloudly and bloody.

The vet cried and said she couldn't think of anything else to do. We ended his suffering about 45 mins ago.

My sweet little prince is gone.
♠ Allison ♠

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:48 pm

Allison, I'm so sorry for your loss. If you are interested in getting a necrospy done left me know.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Delight
Juvie Pup

Postby Delight » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:37 pm

I am so sorry for your loss as well, if you could get a necropsy done it may help future squirrel owners if something like this happens to them. *hugs* it's hard to loose the ones we love, I lost my very first flyer that I ever got this year and it was TOUGH, she lived with me for nine years. So I completely understand what you're going through. Our prayers are with you.
Owned by 5 flyers, 1 geoffroys cat, 1 african serval, 1 bengal, 1 parrot & 1 dog. www.totallytameexotics.yolasite.com

Return to “Emergency Help Needed”