male squirrel - swollen testacles

This forum is set up for the Flyer EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM to address emergencies. The Team will be notified when emergencies are posted. Contact any Moderator listed below to get the Team Notified.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

sallphin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

male squirrel - swollen testacles

Postby sallphin » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:31 pm

Hi,

I have two flyers, one that is 2 years old this month and another i found in a pet shop (male - Sunny) Today he is out playing and I noticed a big lump on him ( he is not tame) As I got closer it looks as if his penis area or testacles are very swollen. Is this normal? and if not, what do I do? I have had him since December when I found him being poorly cared for at a pet shop. His partner (RAiny) was rescued in 2009 after Hurricane Ike. She has no problems. They get along fine although Sunny does seem to want to have sex constantly. he is a bit neurotic as he does flips in the cage and runs upside down a lot. they are in an 8 ft by 4 by 4 ft cage, so room is not an issue.

tahnks,

Stacie - Rainy's mom

Joan
Site Admin

Re: male squirrel - swollen testacles

Postby Joan » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:05 pm

If you could post a picture, it would help. The testicles of male flyers are not always decended. part of they year, they are abdominal. When they descend, they can appear quite large. He's a picture of my Chuck at 18 months (6th photo down): viewtopic.php?f=8&t=80
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

sallphin

Postby sallphin » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:11 pm

OMG! thank you for posting your photos! that is exactly what is going on! who knew?! I thought he had a tumor or something- lol. I am an idiot! :splat:

Sorry for the Emergency cry for help. It just appeared over night and I thought we were done with mating season. Whew!

stacie

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:40 am

LOL :twisted: My vet says male flyers are built like male goats. Don't be embarrassed ... the testicles can drop overnight and be a BIG surprise in the morning.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Delight
Juvie Pup

Postby Delight » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:27 pm

It seems that my boys testies are ALWAYS decended!! I have a feeling we may have baby flying squirrels coming out of our ears next year! Glad I have lots of wonderful homes in WA willing to adopt some sweet little babies!!
Owned by 5 flyers, 1 geoffroys cat, 1 african serval, 1 bengal, 1 parrot & 1 dog. www.totallytameexotics.yolasite.com

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:41 pm

I think that may be true. LOL One year, Chuck fathered 4 litters. Think he forgot they were supposed to be abdominal at times ... either that or the thought that abdominal males cannot reproduce is a myth. :twisted:

Delight
Juvie Pup

Postby Delight » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:43 pm

Lol well my boy is in with three little girls SOOOO.... We will see. The girls were probably too young to breed this year (although we really don't know WHAT age they were when they came here) But they were in their first molt so I am guessing around 12-16wks old. There was one female in with them that was obviously older but now I cant tell any of them appart. Except for my male because he has extra parts that the girls dont and he likes to show them off! LOL!
Owned by 5 flyers, 1 geoffroys cat, 1 african serval, 1 bengal, 1 parrot & 1 dog. www.totallytameexotics.yolasite.com

Return to “Emergency Help Needed”