seizure!

This forum is set up for the Flyer EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM to address emergencies. The Team will be notified when emergencies are posted. Contact any Moderator listed below to get the Team Notified.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

tspunk
Baby Flyer
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

seizure!

Postby tspunk » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:39 pm

lately, whenever i take my flyer out, he will run around my body as usual, and then he just jumps off to the floor and has a seizure.

this lasts about 5 minutes, he seems scared, and then he's fine again.

i don't ever see him having one while IN the cage. maybe i just miss it. he runs like crazy on his wheel and stuff.

his main staple is Henry's healthy blocks. he eats about 2-4 blocks per day. he always has fresh water. sometimes he gets a small piece of pecan as a snack.

sometimes i put in the nut n berry mix for him as a treat.

sometimes i put in any fresh veggie i have laying around the house.

i thought that henry's healthy blocks have enough calcium.

what should i do now?

I have repcal with vitamin d3 as helen's critters suggested. i took it and sprinkled some on his henry's blocks and some of the seeds. i thought that would help.

then, i did more searching on the internet and somebody on another squirrel board said that repcal WITH vitamin d3 is BAD. forum link here, third post down: http://www.thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22787

So now I have no idea what to do!

Please advise!

Joan
Site Admin

Re: seizure!

Postby Joan » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:45 am

tspunk wrote:lately, whenever i take my flyer out, he will run around my body as usual, and then he just jumps off to the floor and has a seizure.

Could you post a video of this "seizure"?

tspunk wrote:i thought that henry's healthy blocks have enough calcium.

I cannot speak to these blocks as I don't use them. Maybe Judy C can advise you.

tspunk wrote:I have repcal with vitamin d3 as helen's critters suggested. i took it and sprinkled some on his henry's blocks and some of the seeds. i thought that would help.

Too much calcium can be as bad as too little.

tspunk wrote:then, i did more searching on the internet and somebody on another squirrel board said that repcal WITH vitamin d3 is BAD. forum link here, third post down: http://www.thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22787

I'm not sure I understand the reasoning of this as D3 is necessary for calcium to be absorbed. That's why it's added to most milks. You can drink/eat all the calcium you want, but without vit D3, it won't be absorbed. Flyers can convert vit D2 (in dark green veggies) into D3, but humans can't.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

DinNorman
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby DinNorman » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:43 am

Surely, flyers can have stand-alone seizures or epileptiform seizures; but first and foremost concerns are those of hypocalcemia (aka MBD). I would try to get him seen by a veterinarian and recieve an injection of a calcium soulution under the skin. This may have to be repeaated several times. Hypocalcemia can be very difficult to reverse. Once this can be ruled out then begin to try anti-seizure meds; but consider it MBD until proven othewise.
David

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:34 am

The HHB (Henry's Healthy Blocks) are meant to be used WITH a healthy diet of lots of leafy green veggies, etc. The HHBs contain calcium, protein, and vitamins, trace minerals, etc, that your squirrel needs. Also, the amount you are feeding is what you would feed tree squirrels - greys, foxers, etc. For a flyer, I wouldn't feed but 1 or 2. A flyer needs lots of protein - they are much more carnivorous than tree squirrels. In the wild they eat lots of insects, bird eggs, etc.

Give your flyer lots of veggies every day - kale, sugar snap peas, dark green lettuces, sweet potato, etc. For protein there are meal worms, wax worms, crickets, grasshoppers, etc, small pieces of cooked chicken. I use a freeze dried chicken dog treat for mine - it is 100% chicken, nothing added - and mine love it. Some of them like eggs, hard boiled or scrambled, shell and all - some like the white, some the yoke, some won't touch them with a ten foot pole! Give them a little fruit as long as they are eating all their veggies. Corn, peanuts, sunflower seeds are not good for them, so use rarely, as treats. Another good thing to give them is yogurt. I mix a little Fox Valley formula powder in with the yogurt and feed them a dab nearly every night. Just make sure the yogurt is NOT fat free and does not have artificial sweeteners in it. I use Dannon All Natural Vanilla most of the time, but they will go for nearly any flavor.

Judy C.

skul
Baby Flyer

Postby skul » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:43 pm

Ditto in regards to Judy's advice.
One other thing you shouild consider, is slices of fresh mushroom.
They love the gills, and it does provide a natural vit D for them.

Return to “Emergency Help Needed”