Possible broken paw!!

This forum is set up for the Flyer EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM to address emergencies. The Team will be notified when emergencies are posted. Contact any Moderator listed below to get the Team Notified.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

cohdee
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Possible broken paw!!

Postby cohdee » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:51 pm

I just got this sweet little baby (Nim) over the weekend. She's eight weeks old. Tonight I didn't see her paw get caught in the lid of the nest box when I put her in. I walked away to do something and thought that the gnawing sound I heard was just her chewing on a nut but I came back and found she was trying to get her paw out of the lid. Now the paw (front left) is limp and she's not putting any weight on it. It has been about twenty minutes. I called an emergency vet and they said it would be $215 just to have her seen, and another $200 for an xray. If I really have to I'll do it but is there anything else I can do? Can anyone give any advice? I'm absolutely devastated over this and don't know what to do.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Possible broken paw!!

Postby Joan » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:57 am

At this age she will heal quickly on her own. She will not use it until it's healed up more. It may swell and about all you can do is try to apply crushed ice to reduce the swelling. Even broken bones in flyer pups heal on their own.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Possible broken paw!!

Postby Joan » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:00 pm

How is she doing?
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Emergency Help Needed”