Excedrin consumption

This forum is set up for the Flyer EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM to address emergencies. The Team will be notified when emergencies are posted. Contact any Moderator listed below to get the Team Notified.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Excedrin consumption

Postby Nativeprincess » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:26 am

Caught my squirrel chewing on a pumpkin seed that turned out to be an Excedrin.

She didn't get much of it, but acetaminophen has an LD50 of 250mg/kg in rats.
Maybe 1/5 a pill, so up to 50mg acetaminophen, 13mg caffeine.

Is there any way to make a squirrel vomit?
We gave her a third of a CC or so of salt water, but now she just looks bedraggled.

Thanks in advance.

Laurak
Flying Furball
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Excedrin consumption

Postby Laurak » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:36 am

Hi NativePrincess,

I have posted this information on "The Squirrel Board" as well, and have gotten in touch with experienced rehabbers. I hope to hear from them soon to see if they can give you any advice.

In the meantime, any updates?

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:51 am

She seems to be doing well. At least I can tell anythings wrong. Boyfriends was at home with Ya'ya so I didn't see how much she ate or if she was just chewing on it (original post was from my boyfriend- good that he knows where to go for help!)
We took turns observing her pretty late but she didn't seem to be effected at all. Basically a normal night for her and a worry fest for us. I'm gonna keep her close today make sure everything is fine.

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:06 am

A senior member at TSB suggested this:

I am not a flyer owner but if i had a situation like this, I would separate the baby into a smaller cage so I could keep an eye on it. Then I would just monitor its behavior . If it started to act different from its normal self, in ANYWAY, then I would seek help . Then i would know what it was doing different and would be able to explain what it was doing so those who could ,would be able to help better.

Hope it helps!

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:50 pm

She likely didn't get much and will be OK
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:23 pm

Thank you! We've mostly done that with our finger hovering over the button for the Vet. In hindsight, my boyfriend and I must have looked rather comical trying to determine if she was high up on caffine......or just a Flyer.

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:35 am

Hi NativePrincess!

One more update for you from "The Squirrel Board," with some suggestions for over the next few days (just in case):

"Hi Guys I have not had time to read all the PM and Helps.
Tell this Person to Push Fluids for 24 to 48 hr. The Liver,Kidneys, and the Stomach is what will be effected. Watch for Bleeding! This can make the Flyers Blood Not Clot Properly. If you see Blood anywhere.
Get this Little Flyer to a Vet Quickly! It has already been Absorbed into the Liver. I don't know what to do for that.
Use Water, Molasses and Water, Maple Syrup & Water, Apple Juice, & Water, What ever the favorite flavor is, just keep offering Fluids. Use a Syringe. The Molasses and Maple Syrup has Natural Calcium in it.
This Should help stabilize the calcium levels. You also can Offer Watermelon it is real juice.
I hope this helps."

Good luck, and if you have emergencies in the future, you may want to consider posting on both NFSA and TSB - it increases the chances that someone will see your post fast and get back to you quickly.

Good luck with your furball!

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:37 pm

Thanks, I'll be sure to get her more fluids. We haven't noticed any bleeding, but I was worried about liver damage. I'm not exactly sure how you check for jaundice in a squirrel, but the fluid idea is a good one!

skul
Baby Flyer

Postby skul » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:09 am

Finally got a login.
Seems the problem has corrected itself.
That's good.

Return to “Emergency Help Needed”