Hershey kiss thief

This forum is set up for the Flyer EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM to address emergencies. The Team will be notified when emergencies are posted. Contact any Moderator listed below to get the Team Notified.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Pico
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Hershey kiss thief

Postby Pico » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:18 am

This morning I noticed a figurine knocked over by the sink...and immediately thought it was Pico.... but checked and he was sleeping in his pouch like normal. So thought...maybe it just fell over..didn't notice anything else obviously out of place. Tonight during playtime he was playing with a Hershey kiss (with caramel inside)...wrapper. We got it from him...no candy inside...then found another wrapper behind his cage that was empty. THEN found a nice new hiding spot of his....in the cat tower on top of his cage.....inside we found the stash of about 25 unopened hershey kisses. there were some drizzles of caramel on the top of his cage drape...so we know he had to have eaten one....i am thinking possibly two since we found a total of two open wrappers with no chocolate. He got out of his cage last night (we don't know how) and stole all those candies--he had to of carried them one by one back and forth between the living room and kitchen. How he did all this amazes me!
Tonight he is behaving like his normal hyper squirrel self....and his sleep cycle seemed normal today. I was just wondering if anyone knew if chocolate is toxic to them like dogs. i guess at this point there isn't really much to do ..since it has likely been 24 hours...as far as the cardiac effects --seems we may be ok. But if there something to do please let us know....i know all of the effects on dogs but have no idea about these little guys! I also wonder if these guys are at risk for getting pancreatitis from "sweets" ingestion several days after eating something fatty/sugary like a dog would.
Any help appreciated!
Pico's mom-Marcie

DinNorman
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Re: Hershey kiss thief

Postby DinNorman » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:18 am

Chocolate can be problematic, but the usual culprit is dark or baking chocolate which contains much more of the substance that can cause symptoms. Sounds like he has weathered this storm and showed you just how devious and sneaky they can be.
David

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Hershey kiss thief

Postby Joan » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:50 am

Pico wrote:.....inside we found the stash of about 25 unopened hershey kisses. there were some drizzles of caramel on the top of his cage drape...so we know he had to have eaten one....i am thinking possibly two since we found a total of two open wrappers with no chocolate.

They are hoarders and stash things just like nuts in fall. I bet you are going to find the remains of those two in some unlikely place ... check your slippers. :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Emergency Help Needed”