help! sick flyer

This forum is set up for the Flyer EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM to address emergencies. The Team will be notified when emergencies are posted. Contact any Moderator listed below to get the Team Notified.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

frogurt9
Baby Flyer

help! sick flyer

Postby frogurt9 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:17 pm

Hopefully someone can help us!
My 4 yr old female flyer has suddenly become sick.
We noticed last night that she was being a little anti-social. We put her in the cage and she started acting weird and hanging around the bottom of the cage. She seemed to be gagging like she was trying to throw up. We aren't sure if she actually threw up or not. She moved herself into the pocket of a bath robe right outside her cage and stayed there all night.
This morning we tried to give her a little food, which she took, but doesn't seem to have eaten. We tried to put her back in her cage and she did drink on her own. It looks like she had a little diarrhea as well. The rest of the day she has been very lethargic and not herself. She will just sit in our hands (which is not normal for her...she's always on the go!) and lay there. It also looks like she's trying to clean her bottom a little more often than usual.
Right now, we've been trying to get her to drink some pedialite so she doesn't get dehydrated. She's curled up in a sweater pocket, not really doing much.
I should also mention that she shares a cage with her sister, who seems to be doing fine at the moment.
I appreciate any advice!

Laurak
Flying Furball
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: help! sick flyer

Postby Laurak » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:52 am

Can you provide any info as to what their daily diet is like? Habitat? How much out of cage time do they get?

Is there a vet nearby who can look at her?

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:35 pm

It's really difficult to tell what's wrong. Flyers have an amazing ability to self heal and know when to reduce activity. If she is drinking this is good. You can either have a vet look at her or wait and see if she improves. The pedialite is a good idea.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

DinNorman
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby DinNorman » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:21 pm

From the sound of it, she probably ate something that she shouldn't have and has an upset GI tract. If this is the case it may be self limiting with a day or so of diarrhea. Persistent symptoms would make me more worried, and you may need to find a vet. who does exotics. ( I have heard in some states, where it is illegal to have a squirrel as a pet, that the veterinarian has the authority to confiscate the animal..dont know if this is really true). And yes, Pedialyte instead of water for the next 24hrs.
David

frogurt9
Baby Flyer

Postby frogurt9 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:59 pm

I appreciate the comments, but unfortunately PonPon passed away last night. We are in shock and have no idea what happened. She was fine the day before and in a little over 24 hrs we lost her. I feel terrible because I don't know what we could have done to help her, it happend so quickly. When she was drinking on her own we thought she'd be ok...we had no idea.

We are crushed and completely heartbroken.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:31 pm

So sorry :( ... would you like a necropsy done? If so, double bag her in freezer bags and freeze. Contact me for information.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:48 pm

I'm so sorry :(

If possible, the necropsy could perhaps help you find some closure.

*hugs*

Return to “Emergency Help Needed”