Found tiny baby flying squirrel

This forum is set up for the Flyer EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM to address emergencies. The Team will be notified when emergencies are posted. Contact any Moderator listed below to get the Team Notified.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Treytruk
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Found tiny baby flying squirrel

Postby Treytruk » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:47 pm

Yesterday evening found a TINY baby squirrel on sidewalk. No hair, about the size of my thumb (I have small hands) no apparent injury except for a crusty gray patch on his right "forearm".

I am totally clueless as to how to go about caring for this critter.......I would have left him for the mother to retrieve, but he was covered in ants and obviously in distress.......plus the area is filled with feral cats. I have used a tiny syringe with a metal tip to hydrate him orally, and went and bought some ESBILAC and have been feeding him every 2 hours.........terribly afraid I will cause aspiration pneumonia. I bought the smallest nipple tip for feeding I could find, but compared to this tiny creature it seems enormous......so, I haven't tried it yet.

If by chance he does get pneumonia, how do I know and how do I remedy the situation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

TREY Email: Treytruk@aol.com

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Found tiny baby flying squirrel

Postby Joan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:49 pm

Read here: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=206&p=742#p742
You have to buy nipple on line. Chris is glad to help: http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/

If pup is breathing like a fish out of water, it may be aspiration and only antibiotics can help ... from a vet or rehabber
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Treytruk

Postby Treytruk » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:31 am

Hello and thank you for your reply.

The little guy seems to be breathing OK, and he got much feistier once he got warmed up and got some fluids into him. I hope I can find a good home for him, I can't really keep him myself and I fear without a momma to raise him, returning him to the wild would not be a good idea.
I'm up for his 2:00 feeding, so I hope by morning he is even stronger. Maybe you know of a rescue in my area? I am in Palm Coast Florida, near St Augustine and Daytona Beach. Please feel free to email me if you do: Treytruk@aol.com

Thanks so much
TREY

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:20 pm

Check with Hawke in St. Augustine: http://www.hawkewildlife.org/
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Emergency Help Needed”