Sick flyer

This forum is set up for the Flyer EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM to address emergencies. The Team will be notified when emergencies are posted. Contact any Moderator listed below to get the Team Notified.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Serenitysn
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Sick flyer

Postby Serenitysn » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:06 am

My 4 mo old flyer is ill! We are taking her to the emergency vet, but even though they see exotics not sure if they will see her. She was begging for treats earlier, looking happy. Suddenly when I was going to bed I gave her a clementine, she came out to eat it, but was clearly not herself, looks dehydrated, lethargic and eyes semi closed. She's been eating the clementine the whole trip but very weak. I need help.

Also she started to lose fur on her nose but we thought it was molting.

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Re: Sick flyer

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:49 am

I'm so sorry, I don't know what to tell you. Joan will know I'm sure. Just make sure she's drinking and eating what she should, I'll be praying for you both!
Shannon, mom to Sandy, Daisy, Jack, Zooey and three human teenagers! :)

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:01 pm

Any vet with rodent experience can help.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:46 pm

How is she doing? What did the vet say?
Shannon, mom to Sandy, Daisy, Jack, Zooey and three human teenagers! :)

Serenitysn

Postby Serenitysn » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:35 pm

I posted a long reply, but when I hit preview, I was logged out for taking too long. If anyone is interested in a long story, I can repost.

But on the short size, she had a blockage (which the ER vet missed, so I saw another vet the next day.) Image You can actually see the issue, but the vet wasn't sure if it was colic or something else (since they are hind-gut fermentors.) Her diet has not been changed (she has Henry's Pet's flyer blocks.) She was on meds for about a week and I switched one of the meds to prune juice a day later.

Anyway, with several nuts she has safely stashed in my bra, Sylphina is doing well (has been for weeks). I used to be a vet tech and am now a Master Wildlife rehabilitator, I am really interested in discussing how to get a collective of vet information together on these little ones. It looks like there used to be a lot of meetings and such and I hope these will one day resume. Slyphina almost died since there is a strong lack of information about them in the vet field (for instance, the vet tech mixed medicine that was a 100x overdose, which thankfully I realized so I recalculated the dose..) so if anyone knows of an initiative, I would greatly appreciate any contribution I can have.
Happy New Year!
Isabelle

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 pm

Hope she continues to do well. Yes, many vets have little knowledge of flyers. Wild life medicine is an elective and most vets prefer to concentrate on household pets. Those with exotic pet experience may know about sugar gliders, but not flyers. Those with rodent experience are the usually the closest we can get. Some vets will call their university vet school for advice, but by in large, wildlife rehabbers with have the most knowledge along with the vets that teach rehabbers.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Emergency Help Needed”