Adult Flyer with a bad leg, she is trying to chew it off.

This forum is set up for the Flyer EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM to address emergencies. The Team will be notified when emergencies are posted. Contact any Moderator listed below to get the Team Notified.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

ccsweets
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Adult Flyer with a bad leg, she is trying to chew it off.

Postby ccsweets » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:08 pm

I found an adult flyer about a week ago, she was in very bad condition. Her leg was hurt, and it basically looks and feels dead, black and shriveled. She is unable to use it, she cant even climb or sit up. Ive been helping her eat and drink. But today I noticed she was bleeding above her ankle and trying to chew on it. I put a tiny band-aid on in hopes to keep her from hurting herself more.

As far as I have found I have been the only one in my area with experience with flying squirrels. There are no vets here who will do anything for flying squirrels (they do take in gray squirrels but they dont keep flyers at all nor will they do any thing. I believe she may loose her leg, but I dont know what I can do to help her leg or keep her from chewing on it.

Ive rehabbed many flyers but this is the first one with this kind of injury. If any one has any ideas or suggestions it would be highly appreciated. I want to get this pretty little squirrel feeling better and, well, not hurting herself.
Squammy to three spoiled flyers
my Southern Flying Squirrel Care Tips FB page https://www.facebook.com/SouthernFlyingSquirrel/
Feel free to stop by and share your SFS love or photos of your flyer on the page

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Re: Adult Flyer with a bad leg, she is trying to chew it off

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:20 pm

Poor babe, I don't know what to tell you but hopefully Joan will. Good luck, I hope she's ok.
Shannon, mom to Sandy, Daisy, Jack, Zooey and three human teenagers! :)

ccsweets

Postby ccsweets » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:27 pm

Thank you. She is okay but her leg. I just had a vet tell me to let her chew it off and to give her a apple slice to prevent self mutilation (like they do for sugar gliders after surgery). Or to even tie it off with floss.
Squammy to three spoiled flyers
my Southern Flying Squirrel Care Tips FB page https://www.facebook.com/SouthernFlyingSquirrel/
Feel free to stop by and share your SFS love or photos of your flyer on the page

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:58 pm

I was going to suggest that too. (The floss thing). I think I read somewhere on here where a flyer got a string accidentally wrapped around their foot, and lost their foot, but was ok otherwise?
Shannon, mom to Sandy, Daisy, Jack, Zooey and three human teenagers! :)

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:01 pm

If necrotic, it needs to be amputated. That may be what's she doing.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Emergency Help Needed”