Very Picky Eater Advice Wanted

This forum is set up for the Flyer EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM to address emergencies. The Team will be notified when emergencies are posted. Contact any Moderator listed below to get the Team Notified.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

ocanada65
Baby Flyer
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Very Picky Eater Advice Wanted

Postby ocanada65 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:54 am

Hi
Mort is our 9 month old Flyer.
He was much older then we were told so bonding is a very slow process
We were also given incorrect information on feeding - told to give hamster/gerbil mix with nuts, fruits, & vegs
We did this and then I came across NFSA board and since have ordered HH blocks and cut back way back on nuts but have remained
constant on vegs & fruits.
He is not liking his variety of vegs and fruits we are offering along with HH blocks.
He will eat his blocks but as far as I can see not touch his vegs, he pees in the bowl!
The fruits he will eat but not always, unless I offer apples & watermelon.
Is there cause for alarm or am I doing okay as long as he has the HH blocks??
Should I do "tough love"?
Looking for advice from my fellow HOF's!

He is worse then a 2yr old child!! :-k

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Re: Very Picky Eater Advice Wanted

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:09 am

I have mixed feelings on the subject. Some people are hard core diet, some are completely lax. The hungrier he gets, the more he'll want to eat the veggies. But I hate to do this to my little flyers. I found that some baby food veggie stuff works (like this: https://www.gerber.com/products/snacks- ... flavors/27 (but I give them the ones with veggies and fruit mixed). I give them a pecan half every day, I try different fruits and veggies (they are so picky, they will love it one day and hate it the next!). As long as they are getting their calcium and D3 every day, then they are safe from getting MBD. They can get D3 from the sun, or from certain veggies. Neither of my flyers would eat the HH, even the picky formula. I tried everything they recommended, even put peanut butter on it (their favorite, I give sparingly). After going through 5 bags of HH with them eating NONE, I gave up and stuck strictly to fruits and veggies. As long as he's eating the HH, I think he should be fine, it's supposed to have all the nutrition that they need. I also give them chicken (cooked and not seasoned) they love it!

I also give them some nuts in a shell, it wears their teeth down (which is good for them and good for us!)

Good luck!
Shannon, mom to Sandy, Daisy, Jack, Zooey and three human teenagers! :)

ocanada65
Baby Flyer

Postby ocanada65 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:44 am

Shannon
Thank you for your advice. Mort eats his HH blocks and I have given cooked chicken,cooked eggs and shredded cheese in the past and he does eat that up. It seems he turns his nose up at his vegs. I feel better knowing he is eating his HH blocks even though he will not touch his vegs. Now he will eat sweet potatoes and cucumbers, I try to not give the same vegs every day - I was pleased that last night, he ate some of his strawberry and pears ! I have given him strawberries and pears several times before and he would not touch them, but last night he did.

Now another question: when do you feed yours? We have been giving him his "meals" at night - figuring he is most active then. There is always some mealworms and or crickets in his "dirt box" at all times.

Thanks again!

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:48 am

Sounds good! The sweet potato is an excellent source of both calcium and D3!

I feed them every night before I go to bed. I give them their pecan treat in the morning before I leave for work. Their little noses are poked out of their pouches every morning ready for that nut! :)

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:21 pm

Variety is good, but they will love something and then hate it. I just put in stuff every night and I have yet to know what Chuck eats unless it's completely gone. He was 14 in August so obviously he's eating. :twisted: I long ago gave up on suppliments. I do give a basic mix of nuts and seeds that I dust with calcium power. I also leave a Pennington Woodpecker Treat Bar that I get at Walmarts in the cage. He does love this and I knew it's chewed on. Otherwise he gets left overs from whatever I eat ... I rinse spices off the meats.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

ocanada65
Baby Flyer

Postby ocanada65 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:09 pm

Mort seems to like the HH blocks, so if that gives him 100% of his nutrition and then he eats anything else I offer him,

I look at it as I am in the bonus round. He certainly has a variety offered to him nightly - so I know he won't starve.

I have the calcium treats hanging in there as well and he does chew on those, but will certainly look at the ones at Walmart

Meats? besides chicken what else ?? curious ?

Did you see that Judy Howard passed Oct 8 - I believe her husband Curt wrote the book King and Queen of Pet World. At least I think it was her.

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:19 pm

I have given Zooey a small piece of bacon before, but I don't think it's good for them (the grease). Maybe turkey bacon would be ok. Jack and Zooey LOVE crickets, and grubworms (I can't watch them eat a grubworm, it's gross). They also love flowers. My husband gave me some for my birthday and Jack has promptly taken to eating all the white flowers. They like marigolds and roses too. The only thing I know for sure never to give them is chocolate. And a friend of mine had a flyer that got into a pan of grease (not hot), ate it and died. :(

My husband put a cob of corn on a string in their cage (uncooked), and they love it!

ocanada65
Baby Flyer

Postby ocanada65 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:55 pm

Darn I wish I had know about Marigolds I had a bunch around the house this year! Roses I have some of them, sweetheart roses. Might have to get some from

Home Depo and see if he would eat them as well.

I do not know what a grub looks like so I would be hesitant to give them something I don't even know what it is. Here in Texas there are

all kinds of critters I have never seen before! I have been tempted to catch a dragonfly and put it in there but my daughter is deathly afraid

of dragonflies for some reason???!!! She said she would not go in her room if I did that!! haha

What about branches for him to play on? Any I can use from outside - thoughts on that?

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:59 pm

Think gummy worms, but gray. YUCK. :)

We have an intricate working of branches in their cage. Just make sure they are clean of bugs, or you'll get bugs in the house! I stripped them of all the little branches, and fixed it so they wouldn't fall or hurt them.

It is also highly recommended that you get a wodent wheel. I can't remember, but I think the one I have is a Jr. Wodent Wheel. Jack runs in that thing ALL night (sometimes he puts a nutshell in there to run with, I think just so I'll get up and check on him at 1am!).

ocanada65
Baby Flyer

Postby ocanada65 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:38 pm

We do have a wheel in there and last week Mort decided he wanted to nest in there pulling all his nesting material in there with him.

Think he thought we would not be able to get him out either but that did not work out to well for him! haha so now he has gone back to his pouch

Return to “Emergency Help Needed”