Possible Broken Back. Help!

This forum is set up for the Flyer EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM to address emergencies. The Team will be notified when emergencies are posted. Contact any Moderator listed below to get the Team Notified.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

EenyandMeeny
Baby Flyer
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Possible Broken Back. Help!

Postby EenyandMeeny » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:13 am

I have had my flyers for almost two years now. This morning I woke up to one of my flyers nesting in my nightstand, which is very unusual. She came out a few minutes later, and i knew something was wrong immediately. Upon closer inspection, she was dragging both her hind feet behind her, crawling around. I quickly picked her up and it looks like she may have broken both her hind legs. I panicked and ran out, added some reptocal to the water and offered it to her, which she drank. I have given them calcium on occasion, but after the first year i noticed they would repeatedly leave the food with calcium alone, and i left off the calcium. They've only gotten it less than 5 times this year. I also cut up mushrooms and give it to them, which they seem to like, about once a week or so...

At first i thought it was MBD, but upon reading the symptoms she hasn't exhibited any until this morning, dragging her hind legs around. Just a few days ago we had some friends over and she was as lively and good spirited as ever, and has never acted up for the last few days. She is a bit fatter than her sister, which may have added to the problem, but i don't know. Help? She doesn't have compound fractures, but she won't let anyone near her now and is in a shoebox laying on her back. I'm not sure what to do...

EenyandMeeny
Baby Flyer

Re: Possible Broken Back. Help!

Postby EenyandMeeny » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:57 am

Upon closer inspection it looks like she may have broke her back. I'm not sure if it's because both girls lost their tails as babies in a logging accident or if it's something else, but from time to time when they play they'll fall from whatever they were holding on. It has happened since they were little, so it's nothing new. I think she may have fell and landed the wrong way, breaking her back. She drags herself around on her tummy and her legs and tail twitch frequently.

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:49 pm

Awe, poor baby! I'm so sorry to hear that, I hope she's ok! I have read some stuff about soaking in Epsom salt and massaging (of course, after you are sure her back is healed), and in some cases, their mobility comes back. Good luck!
Shannon, mom to Sandy, Daisy, Jack, Zooey and three human teenagers! :)

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:04 pm

Do you have access to a small animal vet?
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

EenyandMeeny
Baby Flyer

Postby EenyandMeeny » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:36 pm

I don't have a vet that i know or trust that has seen them before. But if it's a broken back is there much they can do? It's probably either euthanasia or do nothing, which i'm sure they won't do. Any suggestions for pain? She's been dragging herself around and going places, not much luck with food yet. :(

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:39 pm

Most important thing is a proper diagnosis ... contact a rehabber in your area.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Emergency Help Needed”