Not eating or drinking because stepped on

This forum is set up for the Flyer EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM to address emergencies. The Team will be notified when emergencies are posted. Contact any Moderator listed below to get the Team Notified.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

johnny
Juvie Pup
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Not eating or drinking because stepped on

Postby johnny » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:18 am

e ran underfoot and I stepped on him hard enough to hurt him but not to kill. Vet examined and gave me Meloxicam but she wasn't very helpful, didn't explain how to get him t take the meds wen e has no interest in food or drink. Scared to force it on him for fear of aspiration. This was a 24/7 animal hospital, will contact my usual vet wen his office opens in a few hours but hoping someone on board may know more than him.

Flyer is 5 months old, male, can walk but is likely in pain, not moving quickly or strongly. Wants to be by himself and not with me. No interest in water or his favorite treats. I read online that rodents will refuse food and drink when in pain. I don't think he was stepped on in a way to cause internal injury. My immediate fear was broken back. I felt him under my foot, pull foot back before had put 100% of my weight on him. He fell over and lay horribly sprawled. I picked him up and cradled him, expecting him to be dead in a minute, but he began to revive, I realized might be shock, kept him still and warm under my shirt.

His eyes are bright and clear, his ears alert as well. I haven't seen him since 12 AM since I brought him home from vet, I don't want to disturb him unless I have a specific something I can do for him.

Made sad soft little cries to me when the vet was next to us to examine. Same cries when I removed him from his carrier at home, same cries when he wanted to go back in his cage.

The vet was young and she didn't seem to know what she needed. When I got home, I found the medication has a top for squeezing out drops of medication without much control, so I'm not sure how to get medication out without wasting it. I have syringes. She said once a day, I read online that rats metabolize this med fast and need it 2 - 4 times a day, once is for dogs and humans.

If I don't hear from anyone on the board, I won't do anything until I get hold of my own vet, not sure when the practice opens.

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Not eating or drinking because stepped on

Postby Joan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:31 am

Taking with you vet is best. These guys have amazing recovery abilities. Don't worry about not eating or drinking right now. Best to confine him to a small space for "bed rest". Hope all goes well.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

johnny
Juvie Pup

Postby johnny » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:26 am

TY Joan. I ended up just forcing is meds on him. Lots of protest on his part but done, then I also forced a little maple syrup in water in him just to make sure he had a better taste to end. The dose, I realized, is small enough he won't aspirate. I'll talk with my vet later about # of doses per day based on what I read on the web.

I realized I could put drops on a spoon, then suck them up with the syringe. The dose is equivalent to just 1-2 drops from dispenser bottle, so not a huge amount of liquid.

Thanks for the tip about not worrying about water and food because I am worried sick about him.

It isn't necessary to confine him because he has confined himself and is staying in his sleeping box but if he recuperates I'll monitor his activity and perhaps keep im confined to is cage. But he is willful, does things his way and finds ways to outwit me.

johnny
Juvie Pup

Postby johnny » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:59 am

There is no standard dose for flying squirrels in the literature, but vet and I agreed on what is likely a reasonable dosing but not too much. Drug is meloxicam, and we are going with two doses a day, .2 mg/per kg of body weight. But it was good to talk wit the vet, more so to hear from an experienced HOF as Joan to know Siggy could determine his food and water needs for now. I knew from experience there was little a vet could do in this situation, only reason I went was for fear that pain would prevent Siggy from eating and drinking.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:39 am

Pain meds with the anti-inflammatory is a good choice. You usually have to look up rodents (mice) for treatment as not much on flying squirrels. My friend Tom had a flyer once who's head had been caught in a mouse trap. Little thing survived under his care. He ended up naming her Crack Head. :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

johnny
Juvie Pup

Postby johnny » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:57 am

We had a mousetrap that was always set up but got rid of it as soon as Siggy moved in. Odd thing this winter - no mice - I've wondered if it has to do with Siggy being in the house. He may be making ultrasonic cries that have scared the mice off, is one thought. He loves to do the "Siggy Pop" on my finger, where e jumps on a finger and beats it up by rapidly compressing his fore legs around the finger. I've wondered if e screams wen e does it, or just before. Or perhaps he might scream at night. But somehow it seems the mice know to stay away. Usually there is at least one mouse around to run through the ceiling and alert me - haven't hear a mouse running in 2 months, since Siggy was 3 months old and became more active. And no mouse activity in the kitchen.

I'm still nervous because as far as I can tell, he hasn't had a drink since 5:30 Pm yesterday. I also didn't see any droppings in his carrier though my wife and I had him in it for 3 hours or so, nor did he pee. I realize his body as been shocked by being hurt and has to normalize itself, but when should I step in and hydrate him if he doesn't do it himself. As I said, I gave him some water when I gave him his liquid meds, but the amount of fluid was small for what e usually imbibes.

I'm retired and I can give him whatever time and care he needs - I'm just not sure what to do. He wants to sleep and be alone so I will only disturb his sleeping box for his pain meds. I offered him some banana this morning and I would swear e perked up for a moment and seem to try to eat it, then drew back and went and hid. I don't know for sure, it all happened fast - looked like he might ave felt better and then when he tried to move felt a jolt of pain. He cried and protested when I took him out for his pain meds, I thought e might bite me, which is an improvement in a way, as he was so sick yesterday I knew he wasn't up to biting anyone.

Based on what you have described, I think can make a good recovery, perhaps a full one, although this may lead to premature arthritis later in is life, like a pro football player whose taken some hard hits.

I just want to make sure he's hydrated enough so he has a chance to make that recovery. How do I judge w/o giving him unnecessary pain from extra handling? TY.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:04 am

How's he doing today? They tend to withdraw when injured and they have an innate sense of what to do

johnny
Juvie Pup

Postby johnny » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:24 am

He's doing well. Improvement every day. Starting to take occasional 6" jumps but mostly avoiding jumps. Able to climb fairly well. He knows he is not ready for full athletics. He is frightened but I can see is mood improving, too. He did want to be by himself initially. Little by little, normalizing emotionally and physically. I'm hoping his full range of motion will return completely but he has a ways to go. If you had told me he would be this good 4 days after the injury, I would have been thrilled, and I'm grateful he's healing well.

Sorry, I didn't check the site for a few days because all was improving bit by bit and the primitive part of me was scared of jinxing his recovery. I know I wouldn't have jinxed anything, I was just shaken by seeing him lying in shock on the floor the moment after I stepped on him. I've seen rodents in that shock before, and it usually means they are about to die. Between his natural strength and my ability to recognize he was under my foot as I was putting my foot down and pull my weight back before the step was fully taken, he seems to have survived. As a child and teen, I had various rodents, so I know that sometimes after a serious injury and recuperation, the unexpected negative can still happen, but I've seen ow resilient he is, confirming all I've read here on the site. I'm going to have to be 100% conscious of every step I take when he is out - we had had close calls before this because he expects 100% that I will watch out for him and that he doesn't need to be careful near my feet.

The danger moments occur if I am in motion and he runs towards me to climb on me. In the accident, he was running at me because he was searching me out as part of the playing he does with me, and I was talking to me wife (about him) and turned and stepped without looking.

Thank goodness for the site - and TY, Joan, for being there to give advice to so many newbie HOFs like me - I've grown deeply attached to him quickly, and without the site, I would have been even more overwhelmed than I was.

So - today is the last day of the pain killer. Wanted to doublecheck with my vet on Friday but my phone wasn't working. Siggy seems better and better, so I will stop the meds as planned and see how he does on Sunday.

johnny
Juvie Pup

Postby johnny » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:32 am

A word on Meloxicam. My vet checked through the literature on flyers and other rodents. There was a wide variance in how much was ok to use, and no agreement over the years. the amounts ranged from 1 - 5 mg per kg of body weight (hmm - or was it 0.1 to 0.5?) twice a day, so we decided it was better to risk more pain but not kidney failure. He did agree with me to let me give Siggy a dose 2x a day rather than once a day. I used the ratio of 2 mg/kg (or was it 0.2 mg/kg?) I'm not sure how to determine. It's 0.5 mg/mL (Metacam) solution, Siggy is 69 grams, and he's getting 2.5 units each dose, 2 doses a day.

Reporting all this in case it is helpful to someone else down the road. The vet checked the literature for flyers, mice, rates (and perhaps other rodents as well.)

johnny
Juvie Pup

Postby johnny » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:45 am

Siggy flew a little this morning before retiring for the day, his first flights since the injury. He still has a little ways to go to get back to 100%, but he's made amazing progress in a week. I've kept petshop mice, rats, gerbils and hamsters - never seen any of them in the kind of shock he was in ever recover, let alone be this healthy a week later.

Of course this morning, he popped into a hole in the wall I didn't know about that he did, something in a hidden opening left behind by the people who previously owned the house. He came out 5 minutes later....

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:27 pm

It's great to hear how he's doing. They seems to know what is the best way to recover ... except for exploring holes you know nothing about and scaring you to death :twisted:

johnny
Juvie Pup

Postby johnny » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:33 pm

by about 11 days, he was 99% and for several days now he has been back to being a terror. I have to move infinitely slowly at times - he zips away from me and towards me and pays no attention to the danger of my feet, running up to my legs and straight up my body - zip - and then sometimes away again. some nights e runs and runs - this is hw he got hurt - he run up to me at hyper speed , he had been in another room and I ad no idea he would be in so quickly....

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:37 pm

I'm glad he is doing so well. They have amazing healing abilities.Since they are so fast and he is a ground runner you may have to prefect the "Ground Shuffle" where you never really pick your feet up off the floor when in a room with him. :twisted:

johnny
Juvie Pup

Postby johnny » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:15 pm

The hard part with him is I have to be careful when he is loose in the house, period. When the accident happened, he was in another part of the (small) house I live in, but had zoomed in a split second before I stepped. When the mood takes him, he run laps around the house, or zips from one room to another, sometimes so quickly, my wife and I aren't sure which direction he went.

So, I'm training myself to walk slowly and carefully when he is out , to assume he could appear underfoot at any moment.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:37 pm

Excellent Plan :D

Return to “Emergency Help Needed”