Pecans?

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
Naya
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Pecans?

Postby Naya » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:01 pm

I've read so many stories about squammies/squadaddies, their babies, and pecans. Do flyers really love pecans THAT much?

Naya
Flying Furball

Postby Naya » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:14 pm

LOL! I'll definately buy a huge batch of pecans an hour before I go pick my baby up at the airport!!!

"Face-splat"? *Uses imagination*

Naya
Flying Furball

Postby Naya » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:38 pm

Are there any kinds of nuts that flyers cant eat? (As in theyre poisonous to them or "too hard" to break through?)

Any nut we can eat, flyers can too. Once I saw a post somewhere that worried me. A flyer was eating a walnut and got it's head hung in it. So I really watch out for things like that. The walnut was big enough for the little flyer's head to go in it.

Wanda
NFSA Member

Re: Pecans?

Postby Wanda » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:39 pm

Naya wrote:I've read so many stories about squammies/squadaddies, their babies, and pecans. Do flyers really love pecans THAT much?

Mine did until they tasted acorns. Now they love acorns that much.
Wanda
:flyer:
Owned by Shelly, Rose
:smt049 Peanut, Bud & Dinky Always In My Heart :smt049
Parrot, Miniature Donkey & 1 human
And All My Lil Orphans

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:07 am

Darra wrote:Remember, during the holidays you can get all kinds of nuts in the shell to store away for use year round. Your baby will need those to keep teeth trimed down.

Darra, I am waiting for the stores to set up their shelled nuts display. I was thinking some of the shells are really hard and maybe I should crack them alittle so they can get the nut out.
Do you crack any for your babies or let them do it themselves?

Mary

bugsike
Baby Flyer

Postby bugsike » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:12 am

Mine can, and do, get into every nut I've found - Great for thier teeth. I recommend you don't crack them first, they need something to keep the teeth down and it keeps them amused.
Bugsike, Bear, Fox & Scout
Wildlife, Music, Carpentry, Lutherie
If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:26 pm

Do not crack the nuts. The harder the shell the better for their teeth. Hickory nuts are prolly the hardest.

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:03 pm

batman is addicted to pecans! i have to be careful about how many i let her have, bc she will eat an entire shelled pecan in one sitting if she has the opportunity (usually halfway through the pecan, when she hasn't eaten anything healthy all night, i have to wrestle her to take it away!)

oh and face splat... you can totalllyyy imagine that. just make sure you keep your eyes covered or you could get scratched!
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

yubman
Flying Furball

Postby yubman » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:20 pm

I thought I read somewhere that peanuts weren't that good for flyers and squirrels when they're unroasted...

tony

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:11 pm

yubman wrote:I thought I read somewhere that peanuts weren't that good for flyers and squirrels when they're unroasted...

tony

Tony, mine eat them, the NE FL Wild Bunch eats them. I think that's one of those Internet things that doesn't pan out. I think a lot of things get said about flyers because it's true for dogs and dogs have been researched and published on. My dogs aren't smart enough to leave food alone that isn't good for them, but my flyers are.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Moca
Flying Furball

Re: Pecans?

Postby Moca » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:36 am

Wanda wrote:Mine did until they tasted acorns. Now they love acorns that much.[/b]

And i don't see WHY..Taste a pecan and taste an acorn...BIG difference!
Protect wildlife,keep ye cat indoors.
www.abcbirds.org
:coffee: Moca

laineeden
NFSA Member

Postby laineeden » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:40 am

Miss Trinket will nearly bite my finger off If I'm holding an acorn and don't relinquish it right away! I have two in a cage together now, and greedy Trinket runs and grabs BOTH acorns and hides them in her stash so Nubbins can't have them..... :roll: I have heard that macadamian nuts are poisonous? Anyone know that to be true?

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:07 pm

laineeden wrote:... I have heard that macadamian nuts are poisonous? Anyone know that to be true?

They are for dogs, we don't know about flyers. Some HOFs have given them without any problem. There are so many other nuts that are available and grown within flyer ranges than I tend to give those.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “General”