Squirrel+Books=Bad????

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
Rhiannonn2626
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Squirrel+Books=Bad????

Postby Rhiannonn2626 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:23 pm

Do squirrels like to eat books? I am going to keep my baby in the library regardless, but I would like to know if it is safe for my collection to let it roam around in there... If not I'll let it have my bedroom and hide my fantasy novels while its out!

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:26 pm

My flyers are very literary minded - they will absolutely devour a good book - I can't hardly get them to put it down until it's finished!!!

Judy, who's been there and done that!

Never_Squirrels
NFSA Member

Postby Never_Squirrels » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:44 pm

Eeyore's been trying to eat my homework sometimes :D
:smt057 Bev & Ian :smt057
owned by Eeyore
http://www.BeverStreem.com/italy

Kay
NFSA Member

Postby Kay » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:05 am

Frosty loves the bookshelf in my bedroom. He chewed up my high school (gasp) :roll: copy of the Lewis and Clark Diaries and made a nest behind the OLD family photo of great grandparents' house in Norway, using the backing of the photo. He peed and pooped on top of all the books on the top shelves.

I made little platforms of plywood that he can chew for the tops of books and put valuable books on low shelves. Flyers don't like low. He also didn't eat vcr tapes. (eeeuuuw, old plastic)

His favorite passtime is to shove things off shelves, so I put heavy things or tiny stuffed animals for him to shove. I also "decorated" with birdhouses he can hang out in. Keep an eye on him and adjust as you find out what he likes. Put some cotton balls and a little nest box on the shelf. I fought Frosty going behind the shelf and TV and hiding in the wires for a couple months, but he quit that for the good stuff in the front.
kay

(This picture shows his barbering techniques - glad he quit that!)

Moca
Flying Furball

Postby Moca » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:28 am

Nugget loves the paper covers of hard back books..I have to hide a book I'm reading under the covers,other books are kept on a bookcase in a room he can't get to,or in an aquarium with a wire lid.
:)
Protect wildlife,keep ye cat indoors.
www.abcbirds.org
:coffee: Moca

jackel37
Juvie Pup

Postby jackel37 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:13 pm

Hm..I didn't realize that flyers ate books. Molly is in a room with a bookshelf and the most she does is hide nuts behind them. She does love going to the top of the bookshelf and squirrel-bombing me from behind when I walk through the door. I do catch a little peeing and pooping, but very rarely. Maybe I shouldn't speak so fast!!!
Andrea

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:07 pm

Wow, this is good to know, Books are my life......well,were my life...back when I had a life, now I have a squirrel ^_^
Time to hide the favorites

Linda
Flying Furball

Postby Linda » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:40 pm

Amanda jumps on whatever I'm reading and chews on the nearest corner. So far -- perhaps I shouldn't say it -- she hasn't gone after any in the bookcase.
Amanda and Linda

Naya
Flying Furball

Postby Naya » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:42 pm

Wouldnt they avoid chewing books if they had enough hard nuts to munch on? Or are these one of those tactics they use to make us HOFs go insane? :evilbat:

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:49 pm

Our late Mr. Whiskers was a world traveler with our World Books. We just let him have them. Every time we look at one we have wonderful thoughts of him. He also loved my cook books. Bet in his new life he is giving cooking lessons. Some of the books made great places to "store" his loot but then he could never get down there to get them. So I would clean out the book shelves and put every thing good in a dish and he would have fun again for a day or two. Then along came Ms. BBB. LOL Book's were the last of his interest.
:queen: Ms. BayBea Belle, :tink: Tinkerbelle,
:fly: Linus, :occasion2: Baby Oops, and :love1: Daphne

Gail's (Deep South Home for Flyer Foundlings )

Rhiannonn2626
Flying Furball

Postby Rhiannonn2626 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:07 pm

So are there any ideas on how to block off the bookcases?(They are built ins) Maybe add a glass cover or something? Install roman shades? Thoughts anyone?? Other than the presence of my other love in the room(the fantasy novels) it really is squirrel perfect for running around. Recessed lights and no holes, minimal wires. I'd really like to let the baby play in there but I am rather attached to the books and there is no where else to put them...believe me I've tried...you should have been there when I tried to sneak the books into the bedroom. Needless to say, given the size of my collection, my husband noticed. :headsmack: So any suggestions??

yubman
Flying Furball

Re: Squirrel+Books=Bad????

Postby yubman » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:13 pm

Rhiannonn2626 wrote:Do squirrels like to eat books? I am going to keep my baby in the library regardless, but I would like to know if it is safe for my collection to let it roam around in there... If not I'll let it have my bedroom and hide my fantasy novels while its out!

LOL! I remember when my first flyer came home, he would run around all night and I'd find him in his nest box every morning when I'd close the door and go to work.

This kept up for many weeks till one morning, I found his nest box empty! I called into work that I'd be late, and proceded to tear the room apart looking for my wayward flyer.

I found him an hour later behind a stack of paperbacks... he'd shreaded a book and made a nest! Funny thing was that the book he shreaded was a novelization of a Disney movie called "The Unidentified Flying Oddball".... too cute.

So yes, books and flyers don't go together unless you like watching them tear them up. LOL

tony

yubman
Flying Furball

Postby yubman » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:17 pm

Rhiannonn2626 wrote:So are there any ideas on how to block off the bookcases?(They are built ins) Maybe add a glass cover or something? Install roman shades? Thoughts anyone?? Other than the presence of my other love in the room(the fantasy novels) it really is squirrel perfect for running around. Recessed lights and no holes, minimal wires. I'd really like to let the baby play in there but I am rather attached to the books and there is no where else to put them...believe me I've tried...you should have been there when I tried to sneak the books into the bedroom. Needless to say, given the size of my collection, my husband noticed. :headsmack: So any suggestions??

I purchased a set of "Billy" book cases from Ikea with glass doors to keep our flyers out of the books and knicknacks. They work pretty good.

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... =S69837889

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:51 pm

My suggestion is to use hardwear cloth and make a frame the size of your book case and cover it. All the flyer can do then is pee on them . LOL Another idea is to go to your goodwill and buy some five cent paper back books and make your flyer his own book case.

My guys use to love to eat the covers off of our movies that were hanging on the back of my office door. It didnt really matter because I knew just where they were and that they were having fun. They sure can make great nest. LOL
:queen: Ms. BayBea Belle, :tink: Tinkerbelle,
:fly: Linus, :occasion2: Baby Oops, and :love1: Daphne

Gail's (Deep South Home for Flyer Foundlings )

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:59 pm

haha funny this is mentioned... batman ate two of my text books the other night. just the binding, but i don't think i can sell them back now :roll:
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:26 am

I really don't think your teacher is gonna buy it when you try to explain that you couldn't study because your flying squirrel ate your text books, but I sure would like to be there and watch you try to convince him/her. Also, you do know that you run a serious risk of being carted off by the men in white coats when you do get started on this explaination? :smt043 :smt044 :rofl:

Judy

bugsike
Baby Flyer

Postby bugsike » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:43 pm

Bear is very focused on destroying my books on tape slip covers. He leaves the other books alone. The other two are too busy with the screen door I put in their room.
Bugsike, Bear, Fox & Scout
Wildlife, Music, Carpentry, Lutherie
If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:07 pm

Judy C. wrote:I really don't think your teacher is gonna buy it when you try to explain that you couldn't study because your flying squirrel ate your text books, but I sure would like to be there and watch you try to convince him/her. Also, you do know that you run a serious risk of being carted off by the men in white coats when you do get started on this explaination? :smt043 :smt044 :rofl:

Judy

hahaha... yeah i haven't tried the 'my flying squirrel ate my hw' excuse yet, but i am nearly positive i'd be carted off for that!
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:55 pm

Molly and Munch shreded lots of books until we finally removed all except the bottom 2 shelves. Too low for 'em. They recieved their theology degrees last year when they completed a whole leather bound bible. I still find scraps of it from time to time in the bird houses and pottery that are on the shelves where the books used to be.

When we build our master bedroom suite addition everything will be squirrel proof. Until then, we have to look through storage bins to find a book.

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:05 am

What a well educated bunch we have!

Peaches and Cookie now have an Electronics degree, air conditioning repair license and had started on "Tesla's Coil", but I think that was a little hard for them to digest.
peep
State and Federal permit holder

Return to “General”