Hiding Nuts outside of cage

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
Mary
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Hiding Nuts outside of cage

Postby Mary » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:33 am

Ok I have this crazy question. Peanut is taking all his night time nuts and hiding them throughout the whole room that he runs in doing out of cage free time. I give him his food and he hides it all over. Not in the cage. He never goes back and eats any. They all have to be in different places too.

I am wondering if I move some of his hiding nuts, does he know he had one in that spot and its gone? Will he figure out that I am the one moving them and get mad at me?

I have heard the day time grey squirrels would hide nuts but not remember where they hid them. Is that the same for our furballs?

I am just sensitive to all his hard work. I did have to remove the acorn in my bra, the walnut in my sleeve and the pecan in my shirt collar, I am so honored, but the others around the room I would like to reput back in his cage. The ones under my pillow had to be removed. He has one on the top curtain rod that he worked hard to get it to stay.

What do you guys do?

Mary

Moca
Flying Furball

Postby Moca » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:32 am

No,he won't get mad at you.
I used to move stashed nuts belonging to pet rats and i also do it to Nugget...
Protect wildlife,keep ye cat indoors.
www.abcbirds.org
:coffee: Moca

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Hiding Nuts outside of cage

Postby Joan » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:35 am

[quote="Mary"]... I am wondering if I move some of his hiding nuts, does he know he had one in that spot and its gone?
Flyers do remember where they hide stuff. They use land marks to help them remember.

Will he figure out that I am the one moving them and get mad at me?
No, he thinks it makes you happy to find them ... kinda like a fall easter acorn hunt. :twisted:

I have heard the day time grey squirrels would hide nuts but not remember where they hid them. Is that the same for our furballs?
Flyers are smarter than greys. :D

He has one on the top curtain rod that he worked hard to get it to stay.
Don't you just love the tap.tap.tap they get to make it just right?

What do you guys do?
I throw 'em back in the cage, but continue to find them for months.
Last edited by Joan on Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:23 pm

When Tiny Tim was missing for a day and a half, we found him in the drapes in one of Molly's stashes. prolly saved his life :roll:

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:31 pm

Wow thats alot of good answers. Thanks. I do think when I hand him one of his nuts he has hidden, its like he is so happy to have another one to find a place for.

Yeah Darra, I can see a room full of moths or maybe some worms crawling all over or even a acorn tree starting to grow under the dresser. :twisted:

I love the tap tap tapping. He put a frozen acorn down my shirt and had to place it just so. Tickles me how well he hides his acorns and nuts etc.

Alot of the landmarks is my flannel fabric stash that I am trying to make me a snowman applique rag quilt with. I watch him plant them in all that soft fabric. I hate to take his hiding spots away but I do need to use the fabric too. I tried to tell him. He is so funny.

Mary

duma
Juvie Pup

Postby duma » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:19 pm

My guys also hide nuts all over. My son put his shoe on yest. and complained about a bump in it. When he took the shoe off to see what it was he found a pecan in it. Mine seem to enjoy the hiding a lot. As I find the nuts I put them back in the nut bowl. There's usually a replacement nut in the same spot the next day :D

marilyn
NFSA Member

Postby marilyn » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:04 am

When David pulled the covers back on the bed tonight he found 2 pecans hidden there. We find nuts everywhere with four flyers hiding them. One of our northerns also acts like a packrat, stealing small objects and stashing them.
Marilyn
Marilyn & David
Owned by Dixie, Heidi & Houdini
In Loving Memory of Burl

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:51 am

marilyn wrote:When David pulled the covers back on the bed tonight he found 2 pecans hidden there. We find nuts everywhere with four flyers hiding them. One of our northerns also acts like a packrat, stealing small objects and stashing them.
Marilyn

FOUR flyers hiding nuts? I can't keep up with one. I like to watch where Peanut hides his stash around the room but with 4, I would end up with whiplash. They are so serious when looking for a place to hide them.

They are so fun to watch. Also I don't trust leaving him run free without me in the room.

Mary

Pam
NFSA Member

Postby Pam » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:06 am

All 3 of mine are pack rats Marilyn. They will take anything they can get thier little hands on. Every day I have to go thru my bed to recover the nuts they hide, under my sheets, in my pillow cases. My little Yankee has even started stealing money out of my purse. lol. Caught him stealing a 20 dollar bill out of my purse and boy did he run with it . he even hid my eye glasses on me one night. I am very happy Houdini and Heidi are being good for you and David, makes me proud :D . thier brother Yankee is also doing very well he is sweet, give them a kiss for me...Pam
Pam, Abbey and Binky ..PeeWee..4 very happy souls

marilyn
NFSA Member

Postby marilyn » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:52 am

That's funny Pam. My other flyers don't seem interested in stealing anything non-edible, but Houdini and Heidi have gotten into David's wallet several times. A couple times they were after his wallet and keys at the same time.
It is hard to keep track of all 4 when they are running around, but I do make sure I know where they all are. If one is missing the search is on 'til we find him or her. They sure keep us entertained.
Marilyn
Marilyn & David

Owned by Dixie, Heidi & Houdini

In Loving Memory of Burl

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:09 pm

Pam wrote: ... My little Yankee has even started stealing money out of my purse. lol. Caught him stealing a 20 dollar bill out of my purse and boy did he run with it . he even hid my eye glasses on me one night.

You've got a little flying Klepto on your hands. :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

yubman
Flying Furball

Postby yubman » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:39 pm

Pam wrote: Caught him stealing a 20 dollar bill out of my purse and boy did he run with it .

Ha Ha!! Our flyer Bexley did that to me a couple of years ago. I withdrew several 100 bills for Xmas presents and he found them on the desk. Next thing I see is him grabbing one and making off with it back to his nestbox! I guess he though it would make good bedding. LOL. I had to wrestle with him to get it back.

Turns out I couldn't give a bill that had been partially shreaded (one of the corners was baddly chewed/shreaded in my fight to get it back). The teller at the bank looked at me oddly when i asked to exchange it for a fresh bill due to rodents. LOL!

tony

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:47 pm

When Molly was a juvie, she stoled most of the crystals that were attached around a silk throw pillow. She stashed them in pottery on the book shelves. Never did figure out what she wanted them for. Just liked them I guess :roll: When I retrived them, I left her 2. Some one occassionally moves them to other pots or bird houses, but I have not seen who or when.
Maria's old lady ferret, Poppy, is the real thief here. She can't resist an open purse!

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:30 pm

I went to take a shower last night and plopped my shower cap on only to be hit squarely on top of the head with a hidden pecan! :roll:

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:21 am

Joan wrote:I went to take a shower last night and plopped my shower cap on only to be hit squarely on top of the head with a hidden pecan! :roll:

Hope you put it back when you were done. :twisted:

These guys are serious in hiding stash. I went to pet my little one on one of his hiding adventures last night and he bit me. Took me by surprise. I yelled "no biting" and put him back in his cage.

Mary

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:25 am

Mary wrote: ... These guys are serious in hiding stash. I went to pet my little one on one of his hiding adventures last night and he bit me. Took me by surprise.

He was "on a misssion" ... can't be messed with when "on a mission". LOL

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:21 am

Joan wrote:

He was "on a misssion" ... can't be messed with when "on a mission". LOL

LoL Thats a good way to put it. Mission Impossible. :twisted:

Yesterday morning he made up for it. I went into his room to work on a sewing project and he wanted out. I let him out and we played and finger wrestled and tickled and played tug of war with fleece strips( in my shirt), and he was so sweet and cute.

Mary

BreezieGirl
Flying Furball

Postby BreezieGirl » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:49 am

Mary wrote:LoL Thats a good way to put it. Mission Impossible. :twisted:

Yesterday morning he made up for it. I went into his room to work on a sewing project and he wanted out. I let him out and we played and finger wrestled and tickled and played tug of war with fleece strips( in my shirt), and he was so sweet and cute.

Mary

Awww! Don't those moments just make you wanna melt? A lot of times I get annoyed with Jasper for getting into mischief of some kind but one lick of that cute little tongue on my nose and it's all forgotten. LOL.
~Kaylie
Owned by Jasper

In Loving Memory of My Sweet Little Mima :smt049

CindyG
Baby Flyer

Postby CindyG » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:17 pm

I find nuts all over the place. I think one of them loves to hid them in the pillow cases and one loves to tuck them under the mattress and another one loves to hid them in the corner of the cage.
Be kind to animals and the ones you love.

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:02 pm

Looks like he's suspicious that the camera wants his nuts :twisted:

Return to “General”