Personality changing?

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
Mary
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Personality changing?

Postby Mary » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:25 am

My Peanut, 1 1/2 yrs and my brothers little girl, Muffin, about 8 mo. are both going through this different personality change. Where they use to want to play and shirt dive and cuddle etc, they now are busy wanting to always stash nuts while running free, and not play like before. They are more active running around and will jump on you but just to get to another place. A few fast shirt dives but I miss the playing. Peanut would want out through the day and cuddle in my shirt and I could sew etc but now he runs around checking on his hiding places etc just like at night. No more sewing with him out. Everything is put away until he is back in his cage.

Is it because of the season or have I lost my baby to growing up into an adult? There is no question on him still loving me. I see that.

Mary

Lora
NFSA Member

Personality Changing

Postby Lora » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:28 am

I could be wrong but I think it is a seasonal thing. They are wanting to store nuts for the winter. I've noticed this lately with Bojangles. He used to eat all his acorns when given. Now I notice he eats one & hides one :)

yubman
Flying Furball

Postby yubman » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:56 am

I agree with Lora. It's most likely the changing seasons. Once spring comes, they should return to normal. Of our two flyers, Bexley goes INSANE with the nut stashing/hiding when the fall comes around.

I've gotten used to it, and now play games with him. I'll jiggle a couple of nuts in my hand getting his attention. Then toss it out onto the floor. He'll swoop down from where ever he's perched and grab it... run around the room with it, then hide it on my person. I'll then start the whole process over again... he'll do it all night if I let him.

Strangely I can't get my pekingese to fetch anything. LOL

tony

marilyn
NFSA Member

Postby marilyn » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:03 pm

Yes, Mary, they all seem to have that urge to store nuts this time of year, some more than others. Pearl, who is about 1 1/2 years is very serious about hiding nuts. Our others, who are younger, do some stashing but don't seem as serious about it.
Marilyn
Marilyn & David
Owned by Dixie, Heidi & Houdini
In Loving Memory of Burl

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:28 pm

Gee Thanks everyone,
Looks like its going to be a interesting winter. Whatever makes him happy is ok with me. Stash away little one. :twisted:

Mary

Lora
NFSA Member

Personality Changing?

Postby Lora » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:52 am

Do they wake up earlier this time of year too? Bojangles is getting up earlier & earlier these days. He went from 10:30P to 9, then to 8. Last night I was hoping to get his dinner in the cage before he woke up & there he was waiting for me at 7:30! I love that he's up earlier but I wish he'd decide what time he wants to eat, lol. Maybe those little radar ears hear me in the kitchen.

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Re: Personality Changing?

Postby Nativeprincess » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:46 pm

Lora wrote:He went from 10:30P to 9, then to 8. Last night I was hoping to get his dinner in the cage before he woke up & there he was waiting for me at 7:30!

I unk about where u live...im assuming its the same. But its getting darker and darker earler here, that could have somthing to do w/ it. Rogue's sleeping times have never been normal..not that i even know what normal is.
She wakes up aright around 5pm as it starts to get dark, then goes back to sleep around 8 wakes up at 10-11 awake most of the night, sleeps again at 5am to be up and ready to play at 7am but falls right asleep just as im pulling into work at 8am

Lora
NFSA Member

Personality Changing?

Postby Lora » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:19 pm

I think he's really sleeping good since I moved him to my bedroom. It's dark & quiet in there. I miss him in the mornings though when I'm working. Now I only have a minute to tell him good morning & give him a little treat before he goes to bed.

Return to “General”