Feeding the "NE FL Wild Bunch"

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
hauk
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Feeding the "NE FL Wild Bunch"

Postby hauk » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:40 pm

Feeding Time was 6:15 tonight, The fare was Red Grapes and Small Acorns, They get this once a week when I have Acorns, I have had a good supply this year because Genelle Clifton(One of our local NFSA members) brought me a big bag of them, The little hellions are fond of this night, I had a treat tonight as three babies that were born in the cage came out for the first time tonight and were willing to run around on me, Another Infrared Emitter is scheduled to get here tomorrow so we should be able to see even better. Tom

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:54 pm

For the first time in 3 weeks I will be at home at 5 PM cent. time and I plan on tuning in on seeing you feed these little fur balls. I will have my timer set. Can't wait. I love watching all of them and I guess I am the only one that does not try and count all of them. I just try and see who lives in which house. LOL It is funny to see a tail covering the camera or one get in front or side of it.
:queen: Ms. BayBea Belle, :tink: Tinkerbelle,
:fly: Linus, :occasion2: Baby Oops, and :love1: Daphne

Gail's (Deep South Home for Flyer Foundlings )

hauk
NFSA Member

Flyer Cam

Postby hauk » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:43 pm

They seem to like blocking the lens,Someone said they are doing it on purpose so that the rest of them can do something they do not want seen, I'm glad you are enjoying it Gail. Hello to Tom. Tom

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:53 am

They must have really liked dinner tonight Tom! Looks like the dishes in the feeding box are licked clean already. Every one seems to be having a good time in there tonight :) Possibly a scuffle between 2 in the wheel. Looked sorta like this :boxing: and then, like this :cussing:

hauk
NFSA Member

Fight in the cage

Postby hauk » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:40 am

Deb they sure like the wheel, There are two wheels in the cage but the other one is not in view of the camera, I have seen three flyers at once in the wheel and sometimes there is an arguement about who drives and who sits in the back seat. Tom

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:35 pm

Tom,

Had no idea that you were short on acorns!!! I'll be glad to ship you some. I may even be able to raid the Kroger parking lot and Crackerbarrel Live Oak trees for some more of their incredible little sweet acorns. Mine just LOVE them.

I heard that Jay's "Rascal" is fond of them too :twisted:

Ya'll be sure and ask him about becoming a nut scavenger!
peep
State and Federal permit holder

hauk
NFSA Member

Acorns

Postby hauk » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:35 pm

Peep, There are a lot of them around here, I just have not had the the time to go and gather any lately, Thank you for the offer, I will probably go gathering for some this week. Tom

Lora
NFSA Member

Feeding the NE FL Wildbunch

Postby Lora » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:35 pm

I just tuned in to the cam tonight. You've got some chunkers in there Tom, lol. No wonder no one wants to leave. They're all fat & happy right where they are! These guys make my little Bobo Squirrel look like a pee wee. Course he's still a baby guy. What is that screened box type thing hanging in the center? Looks like it's covering a light maybe. They sure seem to love climbing on that. I've watched a few times but always seem to miss the activity until tonight. Awesome job Tom & Joan! This is a real treat.

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:51 pm

I was able to catch Tom on camera the other day. It was so much fun to see him trying to get out of the cage and having to take off the little velcro babies who thought maybe they would get a free ride to the food before the others. LOL I will say there are some flyers in there that are so big and healthy looking. No wonder they don't want to leave when Tom openes the doors . LOL I wouldn't want to leave either and then have to start working for my food. Great Job Tom. Love the camera . It is so educational.

Lora
NFSA Member

Feeding the NE FL Wild Bunch

Postby Lora » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:09 pm

I heard about the babies climbing on Tom the other night. I was so mad at myself for missing it! I agree they look very healthy (all chubby jokes aside, lol). I'd love to see one in comparison to one in the wild. Tom, does any of this footage record? It is very educational & might be of interest to another group or oganization as well for that purpose down the road. Who knows Tom... someday a documentary film maker might come along & make you famous!

hauk
NFSA Member

NE FL Wildbunch

Postby hauk » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:07 pm

Lora, I'll try to answer your questions: The screened in enclosure on the ceiling houses a red heat lamp for when it is really cold, The flyers love to play on it so about every 10 days I smear Peanut Butter on it so that the Camera gets a good view of them up close, I think some of them are trying to get as big as gray squirrels, They all get as much to eat as they want, Thier drinking fountain was furnished by Joan and is has constantly recirculating water with Calcium powder sprinkled in once a week, They always have "Nuts n Berries" available (They eat about 10 pounds a week), The camera does not save pictures as it is a "Net Cam", It just transmits pictures on the Net at a very fast rate, It takes a picture every 4 seconds here at the Cams location, When it gets to the internet the speed slows and depending where in the world and how many viewers at the same time it will be even slower, Sometimes to the point where it may take a couple of min. to refresh, You ask about other media to see the cage, A few weeks ago Joan posted 4 polls about the cam, They are posted under the "Nocturnal Notes and Daily Discoveries" One of the questions pertained to how many of our members would be interested is me making DVDs of around a 30 min. duration of the activities in the Cage, There has not been very much interest shown, If enough members feel that they would like this then I will purchase the necessary equipment to pursue this, An interesting thing is that if you are looking at the cage it is totally dark, There is no light showing, The Camera lighting is provided by totaly invisible infrared lighting, The squirrels see no light so it is as they are running around in the dark so they act as they would normally Tom

Lora
NFSA Member

Feeding The NE FL Wild Bunch

Postby Lora » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:28 pm

Fascinating... thanks Tom. I'm a recent member so I forget there is unchartered territory I am now able to explore on this site. :)

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:36 pm

athe average time it takes to refresh the picture to my computer is -7 seconds. Sometimes it is only 5 or 6 seconds though. After your explanation, Tom, I'm sure that it has been faster a couple of times when I was watching way after midnight. Probably there wasn't many others at the same time.
What would really be fun, is if when we had the flyer cam up on our screen, if there was a list of the other members currently watching. And a chat forum below the picture so everyone on could talk. If It could be done, I would be happy to contribute to pay for it. Tom has spent enough money to entertain us already :D

hauk
NFSA Member

Debs Idea

Postby hauk » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:08 pm

Deb that sounds like a great idea, Maybe we can get Joan to ask Kevin what it would take to accomplish that, It's possible that we already have what is needed. Tom

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:51 pm

Sent Kevin a note re: above.

Boy, the furballs are out tonight. I don't think they know (or seem to care) that it's suppose to get down close to freezing tonight.
Last edited by Joan on Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

hauk
NFSA Member

Furballs

Postby hauk » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:47 am

Joan these guys have so much cotton and spanish moss bedding that they could winter in the Artic and be warm. Tom

hauk
NFSA Member

Live Cam picture

Postby hauk » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:00 pm

Guys I noticed tonight that the picture freezes for a few min. when I am feeding, I think it is because there are a lot of people trying to see it at the same time, I apologize but I don't know how to fix that, I have a wider angle lens coming next week so that we can see more area but that may cause distortion, I'm flying blind with all this but I will keep trying to improve it. Tom

Vickie
NFSA Member

Postby Vickie » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:08 pm

Tom, since Barnie is the only flyer I've ever had contact with, it's been amazing to me to watch your Wild guys. It's been a real privilege, and no matter what the video quality is, it's 100% improvement over what was available to me before you set up the camera--nothing! :) (Please note I have inserted my first EVER emoticon thing.)
First Barnie, and now Jimmy--Zing, went the strings of my heart!

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:17 pm

Yeah' the live cam is really a treat and a excellent way for me to see just how lazy and rotten my 5 little monsters are much of the time. (This is noted just after peeking in again at the wild bunch while Tom Tom is sprawled out on my shoulder getting a massage so I have to type with 1 hand :roll: ) AND Tiny Tim is napping in my shirt :) Well at least they will be easy to put back in their cage when I go to bed in a few minutes :twisted:

hauk
NFSA Member

New wide angle lens

Postby hauk » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:42 pm

I will be trying a new wide angle lens tonight, It will show a lot more of the cage but I am afraid it will be a distorted view, If it does not look alright I will change back to the other lens tomorrow, Tonight may not be a great night to view the cam because I will be trying different adjustments. Tom

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:33 pm

Oh, it will be fun watching you go back and forth and getting pounced on everytime :twisted:

Susie
NFSA Member

Postby Susie » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:39 pm

Tom or someone----------I messed up and got off the web-cam. Tell me where to go to log back into it,please.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:21 pm

"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Susie
NFSA Member

Postby Susie » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:27 pm

Thanks Joan, I was nearly in a panic !!!ha ( I don't think I could stand it if I couldn't see them every day.)

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:31 pm

Another addicted HOF. :twisted:

Susie
NFSA Member

Postby Susie » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:33 pm

OH yes, can you tell? ha I make a point to be at my computer at feeding time, and I was here tonight, but someone came in and I accidently got off. Thanks again.

hauk
NFSA Member

Favorites

Postby hauk » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:14 pm

Susie you should add the site to your favorites and then you can go back whenever you want. Tom

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:00 am

Hunter(3 yr old grandson) and I just happened to be watching the flyers when Tom came into the cage with a great plate of food. He held it up for all to see and after he placed it on the "table" he waved at us. LOL Hunter was so excited and enjoyed seeing how things are done in the Fl. wild bunch home. He wanted Mr. Tom to come back in and play with the flyers but I told him it was cold over there and he had to get back into his warm home. We are going to try and be on line again so we can watch MR. Tom feed the flyers again. What a great learning way for children to watch the animals. We also are watching the baby Panda on live cam from Atlanta. That really has been a wonderful experience..

Susie
NFSA Member

Postby Susie » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:36 pm

Thanks, Tom, that's what I did now----I just hadn't done it before. It's now on my favorites.

RaVeRiNaBuBbLe
Flying Furball

Postby RaVeRiNaBuBbLe » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:21 am

i really would love to tune in and watch. i've become a member, now what's next? you guys have me so excited to see this! :D
~Michele~

In Loving Memory of Mr. Pecan Oglethorpe (P.O.) and Molly MoMo. Momma will miss you, Babies.

hauk
NFSA Member

Live Cam

Postby hauk » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:03 am

Joan will tell Kevin and you will get a password and Joan will tell you what to do, We are happy to have you on board. Tom

RaVeRiNaBuBbLe
Flying Furball

Postby RaVeRiNaBuBbLe » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:52 am

aaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!!!! I just got my info and directions......but I'm at work!!!!!!!!!!:bad-words: (i only have the browser on my phone to use so I can't view it.) but I tell ya what, as soon as my shift is over i'm bookin it home to see feeding time! look at me, i'm addicted and I haven't even seen it yet!
~Michele~

In Loving Memory of Mr. Pecan Oglethorpe (P.O.) and Molly MoMo. Momma will miss you, Babies.

hauk
NFSA Member

Feeding time

Postby hauk » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:08 am

Michele: I feed the guys and gals anywhere from 6:05 to 6:20, The live cam comes on at 6:00PM and goes off at 4:45AM, If anyone would like it left on a little longer just post and I will try to accomodate. Tom

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:35 pm

Yeah the time difference makes me miss feeding time every so often. 5:pm is usually pretty hectic around here. One day last week, I was a little worried about Tom. He just kinda looked pale on my screen. So the next day I had the web page up and ready to look at him closer. Then Hubby came running in from work with color samples and wanted me to hurry next door with him to make a final selection for the metal roof we are putting on our rental property. Luckily, Tom made his apperence right away looking hail and hardy. Smiled and waved as usual. Good thing! My next move would have been to send Joan over with a stethascope and blood pressure cuff :twisted:

RaVeRiNaBuBbLe
Flying Furball

Postby RaVeRiNaBuBbLe » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:37 pm

unfortunately i missed feeding time :( and i'll be away tomorrow. :( :( but sunday, i'm so there. not much activity that i've seen since i tuned in, but i do catch a few every so often. they're quite fast. they definately live up to the "wild bunch" name! even though i missed feeding, i'm thoroughly enjoying watching and trying to keep track of the little guys. tom, this is a great thing you have done, and i'm so glad i can finally take part and watch all your hard work. sometime this summer i may be going to savannah again, and hopefully i can plan a sidetrip to visit you and the wild bunch. i would love to experience it first hand.
~Michele~

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:28 pm

Joan is in the wild bunch with Tom tonight. So I bet we'll have some new pictures to look forward to later!

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:31 pm

Yipeeee! Hope so.
Wanda
:flyer:
Owned by Shelly, Rose
:smt049 Peanut, Bud & Dinky Always In My Heart :smt049
Parrot, Miniature Donkey & 1 human
And All My Lil Orphans

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:46 pm

Did you see my sister? I made her face the camera.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:29 pm

She was impressed! :D

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:42 pm

Enought to get one or two??? :twisted:

Return to “General”