Free Range Flyers

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
The Rock's Laura
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Free Range Flyers

Postby The Rock's Laura » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:13 pm

I have read over and over how people are losing their flyers; flyers that are free range and given the run of the house/trailer/cabin whatever. I probably won't win any popularity contest by saying this but here goes.

Don't you all think flyers are way too small to be given free roam? The potential for losing your flyer or worse is so high. Is it worth it?

It's like dealing with a 2 year old...I'm sure a 2 year old would love to run all over the neighborhood to play but for their own safety you keep your eye on them and contain them to an area you know is safe. The same should go for tiny pets. When they are out of the cage they should be watched and contained in an area that is safe for them. When you can't watch them they should be in their cage......they may not like it at first but they will get used to it and you will have your beloved pet for a lot longer.

Rockie gets 3 hours each night where she runs around my bedroom. I am there for 98% of the time playing with her. When it's time for me to go to bed, she goes back to her cage. She's happy and safe and I don't have to worry about stepping on her or rolling on her or having her ground up in the refridgerator motor or escaping through a pipe hole under the sink or anything else.

I'm open for your thoughts because I just don't understand something so small and inquisitive being given free range. Enlighten me...please....my heart breaks for each of you that has literally "lost" their flyer. What am I not getting about this free roam thing.
:love7: I was joyfully owned by
6 1/2 yr old
ROCKIE, a gift in my life.
Rest in Peace my baby boy 9/4/2002 - 5/24/2009

Lora
NFSA Member

Free Range Flyers

Postby Lora » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:46 pm

I agree with you 100%.

hauk
NFSA Member

Free Range

Postby hauk » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:46 pm

Laura, I tend to agree with you, My three that are loving pets and I keep in the house are not allowed to run free, I let them play on me but when they get restless and start to roam they have to go back in the cage, I have so many flyers that escape when they are being treated that I am paranoid about it, I lost one of Joans babies that just jumped off of me and just vanished, I am always sad and feel so sorry for the people that lose their babies so I have mixed feelings about letting them run free. Tom

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:47 pm

I'm with Laura on this, ya'll. I know I could't trust any of mine out all night. And rarely do I have the uninteruped time to let more than 2 out at the same time. The issue with letting all 5 out at once is that 2 like to play in the living room and 3 like the family room. Then all 5 like the kitchen in between. Very hard to cover 3 rooms, constantly counting heads and warning daughter not to let her cat out of her room.
So even though I usually have to devote my evenings to making sure 5 squirrels have quality out-of-cage time, it is still way better for them and for my peace of mind that they are as safe as a 2ounce pet can possibly be in the home I provide for them. After all, they didn't choose the life they now have. It is our responsibility to keep them healthy, safe, happy, and entertained.

Naya
Flying Furball

Postby Naya » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:29 pm

What I did was let Homie have free roam in my room all night. I kept all doors and windows closed till that one day and then I lost her.

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:13 pm

I can definatly see where your comming from, and I agree w/ your sentiment.
I wish I actualy had somthing constructive to say but unfortunatly I don't.
as you all know rogue has free roam of my bedroom at night, and mabey Im nieve or ignorant, But i just don't feel there is enough of a threat to her to warent a decrease in her freedome/ hapieness.
I feel that if the right precautions are taken then it can be a fine thing.
Now I understand that one can not account for all vriables, but i feel very very confident there is no way Rogue can get out of my room.
as for rolling over on her, we have solved that, for the 1st few days when she was likly to curl up on me in the night (when i first oved in) she was moved back to the cage. im a very light sleeper, but if i havent gotten enough sleep then Ill move her back into the cage just incase i sleep heaver than usual.
I know none of this sounds like much, and I don't exspect it to comfort anyone, heck if i weren't activly doing it i wouldn't be conforted. and so i as well have mixed feelings on the subject. its just that my mixed feelings make me a litle more cautious, and this exstra cautiousness i feel makes it work out.

Now I cant recall evrypost ive read, but if i recall correctly, most of the losses of flyers didn't come from them free roaming so much as them getting out on thier own and getting into trouble. (please corect me if im wrong, im pulling fom memory here,not data)
becasue Rogue free roams,and becasue of the high level of caution i use becasue of this, if she were to get out unexspectedly there isn't much harm as its all been taken care of.
opposed to a flyer that gets out into a unsafe room becasue of the percieved security.

now, im not advocating one way or another. If anyt hing I'd actualy advocate the caging and just call my self a hypocrite, but I just thought this might be an intresting thing to chew on, one way or another.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:19 pm

The thing is ... there are surprises that never turn up til they do. Then, sometimes it is too late. Mine have access to my room most every night, but tend to go back to the cage to nap off and on. I thought there was no place for one to escape until I lost Chester one night. I'm sure he crawled into one of two open places at the bottom of the sink cabinet on either side of the kick board. Bet you didn't know you might have these. You have to lay on your belly to find it. Anyway, I was lucky because Mishi called him back to the nest that night. Mine doesn't seem to go anywhere, but a blank space, but some may give access to inside the walls. If I'm missing one, I always think the puppy ate it ... and she would. I think somehow they figured a way to get out of the room. I do know that the pocket door I have would give access to a pup into the walls. The adults are too big. Also, if you check the back of your toilet, there are 2 small half circles cut into the tank ... lift the tank top and look. A pup could ... and for someone did, get in there and drown in the tank.
Flyers will find spaces that HOFs never knew about or even thought existed. Free roam is a gamble that sometimes doesn't pay off.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:45 pm

Amen! Another testement to what Joan is talking about is that of all the X-HOFs I meet that see or hear of my babies tell me about the flyer they had at one time. Every one of them died or disappeared due to being free range. One man found his missing flyer drowned in his thermos. One was scalded badly with steam and died. Several people have told me their flyers lived happily having the run of the house for months or years then suddenly disappeared forever.
Intrestingly I've asked everyone I ever met that used to have a flyer about what kind of diet they were fed and what kind of housing was provided. All this has been decades pre-NFSA or even internet. Usually I'm told something like, "Oh he just made himself a nest in a jug on top of the kitchen cabinets" And the diets for these squirrels was always, "He ate anything we were eating" But nobody has ever told me about any illness. Probably having free range helped those 20th century flyers find sources of vitamins and minerals they needed, but may have led to the disappearances or deaths of many.
A couple of the older X-HOFs really like my babies and would love to have another one to raise. Both know about the NFSA and have checked out our web site and message boards. We'll see :wink:

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:17 am

Joan wrote: I'm sure he crawled into one of two open places at the bottom of the sink cabinet on either side of the kick board. Bet you didn't know you might have these. You have to lay on your belly to find it.

Oh yes I know about that Joan. In fact when I have Shelly in the bathroom, she goes in one of those little holes (which leads her into the drawer) and hides her nuts.

But I agree with Laura 200%. These tiny little flyers can squeeze into the tinest places and may not be able to find their way out. I was playing with Shelly in the bedroom once, something scared her, and she ran to hide and ended up under the mattress and inside it. She couldn't find her way out. So guess what Squammy had to do........right, take the mattress apart so she could get out. What a job!! I wonder if something like this might have happened to some of the "missing" flyers who never showed up.
From that and reading about missing flyers or flyers drowning, I am too paranoid to let mine roam any at all. I have to be in ONE room watching them like a hawk.
Wanda
:flyer:
Owned by Shelly, Rose
:smt049 Peanut, Bud & Dinky Always In My Heart :smt049
Parrot, Miniature Donkey & 1 human
And All My Lil Orphans

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:40 am

[quote="Wanda"]... Oh yes I know about that Joan. In fact when I have Shelly in the bathroom, she goes in one of those little holes (which leads her into the drawer) and hides her nuts.

Mine lead to the space between the cabinet and the wall. There's no access into the sink cabinet or drawers there in mine. For those that have some access into the under sink cabinet, if the drain or hot/cold water pipe back covers become loose, a flyer can crawl thru those holes cut in the drywall and into the wall spacing. Check it out ... I just did and 2 covers were loose.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:04 am

Well Darra, that is like one big room with nothing but a desk. That is not really free roaming over a house full of stuff for flyers to get into and places to hide and escape. It's more like a large room with nothing but a desk.
Wanda
Owned by Shelly, Rose
And All My Lil Orphans

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:51 am

[quote="Darra] Its not like they dont have anything to play on. I have a tree in here, bird houses on the shelves that go all the way around the room, a couple of cabinets, tables, drift log hanging on the wall, fleece ropes, small blankets on the wall, etc. The desk is just the only thing that I worry about them getting into.[/quote]
Yeah Darra. But it is flyer safe. I didn't mean literally nothing but a desk. I didn't mean to imply that they had nothing to play with or on. It is not like a 6 or 8 room house full nooks and crannies and stuff and fridge to get under, dryer and furnace vents, pipes, holes everywhere leading outside, commodes to drown in etc. You know what I mean. It is a perfect place to let flyers out. I wish I had something like that.
Wanda
Owned by Shelly, Rose
And All My Lil Orphans

Lora
NFSA Member

Free Range Flyers

Postby Lora » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:39 am

Well my bathroom is definitely out, lol. There's all kinds of spaces in there. Darra, you seem to have the ideal set up. As for your desk you might want to try the split loom tubing for your wiring. It's like vacuum hose and you can get it in a variety of sizes. If you get it big enough it should fill the gap. I bought like 3 sizes on line. Unfortunately I no longer have the link cause my hard drive crashed but I found on search for "split loom tubing". It was very inexpensive too. I may have included the link in an earlier post. I had hunted everywhere for this stuff.

duma
Juvie Pup

Postby duma » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:16 am

Everyone has such good ideas and opinions. I am torn on the whole subject. My hubby is not an advicate for any caged animal(not that I completely agree). b/c of his dissagreement I hear so many opinions I may not have thought about. First we all have "wild" animals not ment to be pets. They are meant to have free roam of the woods with many many dangers. Most of use did not ask or seek out our wild friends. I interviened w/ nature, that's what we are all doing. Mine fell from a nest and we "saved them". I can't imagine anything wants to be caged. Having our squirrels caged may be safer but ultimately makes us feel better and more responsible. Letting them roam is a lot more fun for them but it comes with many dangers and a fear on our part. 2 year olds were never meant to roam unsupervised. Flyers were born in nature were they are required to roam unsuperviced. My heart goes out to anyone who has lost their precious flyer. We all have choices to make and those choices are based on knowledge and what we think is the best given all the info. Each situation is different. I don't know what the answer is, I guess a balance. It hurts my heart to think of a flyer stuck in a cage for years to go nuts. It also hearts my heart to think of a flyer who lived an awesome life of five mo. running free. We all are face w/ this tough dilema.

The Rock's Laura
NFSA Member

Postby The Rock's Laura » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:38 am

Hi Duma: I'd like to offer my thoughts on your post.

It is my opinion that if the animal, flyer in this case, is a pet whether from a breeder or an accidental pet from the wild it now becomes the pet owner's responsibility to keep that pet safe.

I hate the fact that Rockie is in a cage. Frankly, I will never get another pet that has to be caged (she was one of the accidental pets)......HOWEVER....now that I have taken the responsiblity to keep her healthy and safe I feel the best place for that......when I can't keep my eyes on her......is in the cage.

So, I understand your rationale about letting them BE FREE.....but if the risk of loss, injury or death is so high for these tiny creatures then they belong where they are safe....in a cage......for their own good.

The next house I buy willl have an entire room for Rockie. It will be made flyer safe in all ways possible and instead of closing the door on her cage at night we will close the door to Rockie's room and leave her cage door open and she can come and go as she pleases. That's the best it will get for her free roam. Anything else, IMHO, is just not safe. She will NEVER, EVER have free roam of the house but she will have her own room. That's my goal.
Last edited by The Rock's Laura on Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
6 1/2 yr old

Moca
Flying Furball

Postby Moca » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:51 am

Nugget has a large cage made from a closet...He's out for several hours a night in one bedroom, . That is as much free ranging as he is allowed.
This house is divided into three apartments,if he ever got into one of the other apartments he'd find a cat.(Cats are banned from my rooms) and that would be that.
Protect wildlife,keep ye cat indoors.
www.abcbirds.org
:coffee: Moca

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:03 pm

Laura we have the same goal! Mine is a few years away, but when accomplished, they will have the best flyer safe playground ever. We are even planning a large gazebo attached to the porch and accessable through a door into the new room. The gazebo will be screened with both hardwear cloth and mosqito screen like Tom's. My furbutts will be able to go outside at night!!

Vickie
NFSA Member

Postby Vickie » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:30 pm

I have to confess that my stomach does a flip flop the moment Barnie dives out of sight. I'm a very nervous Squammy. Can't imagine ever giving her roam of the house, even the new one. Our house plans are with the architect right now, although on "hold" until we can find a contractor locally (thanks a bunch, Katrina . . .) who will build a SIPs house for us. Like you guys, we also have been planning on a safe room for Barnie, in addition to a screened porch. I like your idea about the gazebo, too, Deb. Would you guys care to share some ideas for building flyer safety into a room? It would be fantastic to get those things into the actual details of the house plans.
First Barnie, and now Jimmy--Zing, went the strings of my heart!

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:50 pm

Vicki, we will soon be asking you about your experiences in building with flyers in mind :D
We are planning a 2 story master bedroom/bathroom suite with a walk through closet. The upper floor will be a loft. In addition there will be an office attached. All the rooms will be open to each other and the addition will be around 1000 square feet. A covered porch will wrap around with lots of glass, french doors, and of course the screened gazebo. There will be tons of built-ins with doors to keep snoopy squirrels out and lots of shelves with flyer toys, stash containers, etc. DH says we can have a huge live potted tree that reaches to the loft for the furbutts if I want to clean up under it :D. All electronics will go to wireless or cabineted with wires covered. The closet and office will be floor to ceiling Ikea organized. Bathroom fixtures will be as flyer safe as possible. The cat will be sent off when Maria leaves home. Just me, hubby, Ivy, and the furbutts :woohoo:

Linda
Flying Furball

Postby Linda » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:51 pm

Amanda is not allowed out of her cage by herself.
In the middle of her first night with me, she managed to slip out the one slightly larger space above the door of the parrot cage that was her first home and I almost rolled over on her when she found me. Our house has several places where she could get into trouble, thus she is allowed only a few minutes hidden before we check to be sure where she is.
Perhaps she should sign this -- Amanda, the always chaperoned. ':D'
Amanda and Linda

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:56 pm

lol, so by free roam you all mean free run of the house?
I thought you were all advocating cage only situations, I compleatly missed the point.
Ok in that case i actualy agree w/ most evryone on here. An entier house does have far too many places to get harmed/lost and as it itsn't the squirrels natural enviroment, the squirrel may not be equiped to handel many of the dangers found in a home.
much like taking a house cat and releasing it into the jungle and saying...have fun!
But I do believe that having an entier room for a flyer to have is a very nice inbetween stage that both gives freedome and safty.
Rogue and I share a room, unfortunatly. But this doesn mean that, other than me, the room is complealty squirrel safe and I can keep it that way.

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:59 pm

duma wrote:....My hubby is not an advicate for any caged animal(not that I completely agree). b/c of his dissagreement I hear so many opinions I may not have thought about. First we all have "wild" animals not ment to be pets. They are meant to have free roam of the woods with many many dangers......Having our squirrels caged may be safer but ultimately makes us feel better and more responsible. Letting them roam is a lot more fun for them but it comes with many dangers and a fear on our part.....It hurts my heart to think of a flyer stuck in a cage for years to go nuts. It also hearts my heart to think of a flyer who lived an awesome life of five mo. running free. We all are face w/ this tough dilema.

I don't let any of my squirrels 'free range'. They are just too small and too quick and too curious to have the run of the house. My cages are pretty large, but my flyers get out at night to play. When they get tired, they voluntarily go back in their cages, so I have to think that they are happy in them. When we build, I also intend to have a 'dedicated flyer' room, opening onto a porch. But when you think about it, they will still be caged - just in a larger space. So giving them free run of the house is nothing more than a larger cage - the same thing only different! As long as they seem happy, I am satisfied. I don't let any of my animals run around at will. Dogs, cats, goats, horses - all should be contained, for their own good and for the good of the neighbors. I've had an awful lot of animals killed because other people thought it was 'cruel ' to cage or fence or tie them up. All that does is give me a dead pet that they have killed, and they end up getting killed themselves - run over on the road or whatever. Just this month there was a case where a horse got loose and wandered onto the highway. It resulted in a terrible auto accident, and two people killed.

OK - I've gotten completely out of hand here! Anyhow, I do not thing they should be allowed free run of the house - there are just too many things for them to get hurt or killed by. And once you save the life of that little squirrel and feed it formula, and it looks to you for food and love and companionship, it has quit being a wild animal and has become a companion and it is your responsibility to keep it safe.

Judy

duma
Juvie Pup

Postby duma » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:42 pm

I agree - "free roam" might be a bit much. I just think they would go crazy if never allowed to get out a little. Sounds like everyone has a good balance b/t cage time and some play time. It's a hard balance for me(since I wish he could always be out). Mine has had free roam but we have reduced that to a cage that is opened at night into a flyer friendly room. I understand the companian side and think the world of the little guy. We have a big wrap around covered porch that I would love my husband to build a large cage on (we'll see if that happens). :multi:

majcourt
NFSA Member

Postby majcourt » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:21 pm

i certainly agree that we have a responsibility to keep our pets as safe as possible- Flyers in the wild might have to survive threats to their lives and health but they have instincts that guide them- in our houses, they are faced with many other types of threats that they cant possibly be aware of instinctively- when we remove them from their natural environment, they cant be expected to survive in our environment which is completely unnatural for them-

i always follow mine around when they are out in the main part of the house- it is like having toddlers- you have to constantly know where they are- if they get too roamy, i put them back up- my bedroom is safe for them, as long as i stay out of it- they only way they can get hurt in there is if i do something to them out of my stupidity or carelessness- sometimes i leave them in there for a short period by themselves, most mornings, i get up and bring them in if they want to run around for an hour or so while i am still in there- having them out of the cage is nervewracking for me- but it is worth it to watch them play-

CatStina
Flying Furball

Postby CatStina » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:47 pm

I can't imagine letting Emo free roam, I am way to protective and paranoid. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just wouldn't be able to live with myself if i lost him. I think that it works for some people, I'm just not one of them. I would be much to nervous that he would chew through wires. I'll probably be a really protective mother too!
But any way, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to thins, I think it is your gut feeling, and it depends on the personality of you and your flyer.
~t Christina j~
Loving Squammy of Emo (RIP, 3/17/2006-6/15/2012)

Mom to Bowie the Fat Cat, Ziggy the Tiny Cat, Saxon the Staffordshire Bull Terrier and Neljä and Viisi the gerbils

Kay
NFSA Member

Postby Kay » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:07 am

I think it's easy for new HOF's to misunderstand the nature of flyers and allow too much freedom. We tell the cute stories of the heads popping up in the grocery line, or in my case the beauty shop chair when I leaned back for a shampoo. New HOF's want that relationship right away.

Maybe we need to keep reminding new hofs about carrying babies out of the safe room -- flyer proofing the house, laundry piles, etc.

When rehab babies - especially Cheeps - bonded so strongly to my cleavage, I did take her with me. I had to pry her out of her safety nest to show her off. But, as she grew, she was less dependable and more adventurous while in the house, so she had to travel in a cage and then come out when I got to another safe place.

My heart breaks for the accidents and losses. I think until new hofs have had a couple flyers and/or have known their baby for over six months, caution is required.

. . . .maybe a "don't try this at home." reminder is needed now and then.
Kay

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:48 am

I think you're right Kay. Pups tend to cling until the second they don't. When they decide to leave their HOF, it can be a loss if the HOF is outside or in a flyer unsafe area. Chuck is strongly bonded, Mishi is not and I never take her anywhere. Chuck does not go out at night and I know of many a bonded flyer who suddenly took off to the total surprise of their HOFs.

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:07 pm

batman has free roam of my bedroom. however, this was only after several hours of supervised play where i made sure the room was 100% safe.
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

The Rock's Laura
NFSA Member

Postby The Rock's Laura » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:00 pm

Joan wrote: I know of many a bonded flyer who suddenly took off to the total surprise of their HOFs.

The call of nature is much, much stronger than the bond with a human.
6 1/2 yr old

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:29 pm

The only ones I ever take out with me during the day are Tom Tom or Tiny Tim. Tom Tom is a little moody about when he wants to be in my shirt or be left alone in the day. He is usually fine with sleeping in my "house drees" tops, but he knows the differnce if I put on "going out clothes" and sometimes will get squirmmy and gladly go back to his nestbox if offered the chance.
Tiny Tim lets me do anything I need to with him. He is parapeligic and will stay put anywhere I tuck him for the day.
You really have to know what your flyer feels safe and comfortable with. I know that if I continue to take Tom Tom any time, anywhere I want to, I am at risk of losing him one day. I will not risk it, period. I will have to use extra measures to keep him safe and feeling he is safe if I must take him out in the car.

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:14 pm

I have had Nieve about 8 months now and she is 9-10 months old. Wow, I can't believe that it has been that long. Time flies by. Makes the endless few months of waiting seem like no time at all. Anyway, I just wanted to say that Nieve is not a free-range flyer. We have cats in the house and they are not allowed in my room, but I would feel uncomfortable having her free in case they got in or she got out. If they weren't there, I would still be afraid that she'd find some hole or slit where she could get into something she shouldn't. I do take Nieve out of the house with me sometimes. She has bonded to me well and I feel comfortable bringing her places. I never take her out of the house at night and in the day, never for more than a few hours. She is more than happy to sleep the day away in my shirt, but I am careful anyway. My heart goes out to anyone who has lost a flyer.
Chris
Proud HOF to Nieve
3-24-06
Thank you always Avalon!

duma
Juvie Pup

Postby duma » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:15 pm

I think until new hofs have had a couple flyers and/or have known their baby for over six months, caution is required.

I think this is....unfortunately....the truth...................

Anita Rae
NFSA Member

Postby Anita Rae » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:02 pm

hmmmm, I guess I am the exception here. Mine do free range. Their door is usually open. Now, I don't recommend that for everyone but it does work for us. My Bucky is 5 and Boo is 4. The silver Bullet is 2 and Sissy is biggest, bestest of them all, just ask her. LOL Free ranging can work.

duma
Juvie Pup

Postby duma » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:38 pm

Anita,

Wow 4!! Sounds like they have the sweet life!!!

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:40 pm

Mine are free range to a certain extent. They consider the livingroom their territory, and I have barriers on the doors to make certain they are contained at night. Bathroom doors are kept closed at all times, and when we are up and about, Whiz alternates between hubby & me, and when tired, runs back to his cage.

I'm fortunate because all of mine come to me when I call their name (special treats ensured that!) and when they have something they want to hide from the others, they come straight to me and stuff it in my bra or underwear.

This is my solution to TOTAL containment when they are not attended by us:
Barrier is made by 1x1's, and METAL window screen stapled every 2". Light weight and easy to put up & remove, simple brace against other side of door with another 1x1 & S hook attatched to center brace.

This is just peg board bought at Home Depot and cut to fit bottom of doors. Best to use peg board because holes provide air flow. These are attatched to bottom of door with double sided tape. We also have door sweep on bottom of attic door, because they love to race up & down the stairs.

New HOF's... Bear in mind that my flyers have been with me for 2&3 years, and we know their individual habits. We love them, and treat them like 2yr old children. Even though we allow them SOME freedom, we always have one eye on them, and both ears tuned to them!!!!
peep
State and Federal permit holder

duma
Juvie Pup

Postby duma » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:38 am

Peep, Will yours come when you call them during the day if their sleeping?

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:50 am

Whiz always pops out when I call... or even walk in the room. Cookie usually does, if she's hoping for a treat attatched to my fingers, but Peaches will not interupt her beauty sleep for any reason.

Kay
NFSA Member

Postby Kay » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:54 pm

Here we are on the 21st still talking about this and I just thought of one of the down sides of free range.

I have a friend who has open beamed ceilings and it's a dream home for her flyers. They have a nest upstairs where they return during the day and they come to her when she calls in the evening.

However, she's lost things that were "stored safely away." She has found when going to get things for Christmas that the flyers found a way into her storage and have eaten momentos, supplies and fine art. They didn't do this in the first few years they were free.

kay and frosty who comes when you sing "Frosty the Snowman"

duma
Juvie Pup

Postby duma » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:10 pm

If mine are not in the cage and off napping I don't know what it would take to wake them. I wish they would come when called.

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:13 pm

Always say their name when you hand them a treat. They will associate their name with something good and will respond when they hear it. Whiz also likes to play "hid & seek", but tells on himself when I say "Where's Whiz?" he pops out and comes running, acting like HE found ME.
peep

Return to “General”