Other squirrels in room?

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
Susie
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Other squirrels in room?

Postby Susie » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:24 pm

What do ya'll think about other squirrels in the same room with "Piper", my flyer. There's a female fox and a male gray in the same room in different cages. Do you think it bothers her? Does she smell them or hear them enough to make her not come out of her cage enough? I know she must hear me talking to them. She just doesn't come out of her bed much. At 9 pm every night she comes out and plays with me and eats and is back in her bed in an hour or less. Last night instead of letting her go back to bed after 45 minutes, I kept her in my lap with a little blanket and she went to sleep--I mean she was dead to the world. She slept for 30 min. before I had to go to bed and put her in her bed. Also, I think she's too thin. She just doesn't eat much of anything . What can I feed her to fatten her up. She stays in her bed so much she doesn't work up an appetite. She doesn't have a wheel for exercise, either. I'm afraid to get her one because I've heard too many bad stories about them. Please help us.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:31 pm

Sara Dixon in FL has grays and flyers in the same room uncaged. The grays are out during the day running around and the flyers at night. I'm sure both are aware the other is there, but so it is in the wild.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Susie
NFSA Member

Postby Susie » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:42 pm

We let the fox and gray out of their cages during the day if we're in here with them. I just wondered if Piper could be jealous or scared of them. Maybe not. She sticks her head out sometimes during the day and I give her something to eat, but she always stays in her bed. She wants me to hold the piece of apple or whatever while she eats some of it.

Lora
NFSA Member

Other Squirrels In The Room

Postby Lora » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:42 pm

How old is Piper? Bojangles slept alot too until he was about 3 mos old. The Wodent Wheel is safe for flyers. The 11" is the recommended size to accommodate their tail. Bobo just loves his. It's a combination clubhouse, cafeteria & amusement park in one.

Susie
NFSA Member

Postby Susie » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:45 pm

I think she's about 5 months old. I can't find that kind of wheel. Do you know where I can order one?

bevandebbie
NFSA Member

Postby bevandebbie » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:55 pm

Debbie & Chester

bevandebbie
NFSA Member

Postby bevandebbie » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:57 pm

I couldn't fit the 11" wheel thru my cage door...is the 8" wheel ok for flyers?
Debbie & Chester

Lora
NFSA Member

Postby Lora » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:20 pm

You can also get them from Pet Smart (online only), Petco & Martin's Cages. I've also seen them on alot of the glider sites. I'm not sure about the 8" wheel. I have one in Bobo's travel cage but last time he was in it he got going really fast & it tumbled him like he was in the dryer. Didn't seem to bother him but it sure did me, lol. Let's see what the others have to say about the 8".

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:27 pm

The stealth is the perfect one for flyers and mine loves it, a little too much, since that is all he wants to do. Pistol is going thru a stage where he doesn't want to come out but for a few minutes, however, I do know that during the night, when he thinks I am asleep he gets up and plays. He may do this for a week or two, and then he turns around for the next week or two and stays out with me at night.
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

Susie
NFSA Member

Postby Susie » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:43 pm

Darra, they didn't have a stealth wheel, just a wodent wheel. Is there any other place to look?

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:44 pm

gloryaf88 wrote:The stealth is the perfect one for flyers and mine loves it, a little too much, since that is all he wants to do.

Just like his dad. :roll:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

bevandebbie
NFSA Member

Postby bevandebbie » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:01 am

When I purchased my cage, I ordered a Wodent Wheel that was 11" and it would not fit through the door of my cage. Believe it or not, my cage is 6' tall and a hexagon shape, so I was surprised when it wouldn't fit. Anyway, I'd like to purchase an 8" Wodent Wheel for my flyer...is anyone using this size? Is it ok for our furballs?
Debbie & Chester

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:27 am

Debbie, I have the same cage. I had to take the floor out to get the stealth wheel in :roll: After that I decided to make the upper and lower 14" doors into one big door. What you do is, cut the bars off neatly in between the 2 doors. Then attach the cut piece to the doors, connecting them. Thin wire twisted around the cage wire works fine. Now I can get 6' potted trees in there :D

Lora
NFSA Member

Postby Lora » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:25 am

I'm confused... if the door is 14" why can't you fit an 11" wheel in? My cage door is only supposed to be 10" but I got the wheel in. Had to turn it just right but it fit. I thought I was gonna have to build the cage around the wheel but I was able to get it in.

bevandebbie
NFSA Member

Postby bevandebbie » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:26 am

My door is only 10" tall and about 12" at an angle...it just wouldn't fit through the door when I bought it.

Excellent idea about cutting the doors to make one large one. Thank you for the input, Deb. You know, it is a nice cage but a pain when it comes to getting into it. Making one large door will be helpful.
Debbie & Chester

Return to “General”