What is Responsible Flyer Ownership?

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

What is Responsible Flyer Ownership?

Postby Joan » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:35 pm

Responsible Flyer Ownership means being the best owner/caregiver to your flyer that you can be. Much more than "food, water, and shelter", Responsible Flyer Ownership is the obligation flyer owners have to incorporate their flyers into their homes and providing for the needs of their flyers, however varied those needs may be.

Responsible Flyer Ownership Means:

• Realizing that a flyer is for LIFE and dedicating yourself to the life of your flyer

• Putting the effort into proper care of your flyer (proper veterinary care when needed, proper feeding, housing and exercise time)

• Learning all you can about proper feeding, making healthy choices

• Investing in proper health care throughout your flyer's life

• Realizing that Flyers are basically wild animals that cannot be trained like a dog. Accepting them on their terms, not yours.

• Teaching your children to respect animals and not abuse flyers through play (this is also Responsible Parenting)

• Coming to terms with the fact that not everybody likes flyers, and asking yourself, what can you do to ensure that your flyer is likable, even to them? Practicing the answer

• Teaching other humans how to interact with your flyer

• Providing your flyer with a family and a home, not just food and shelter. Flyers are very social and isolation from the family will result in an unhappy and ultimately, unhealthy flyer

• Holding yourself, as the flyer owner, liable for whatever damage your flyer does, and taking steps to rectify it
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Kay
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Kay » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:43 pm

:multi: CHEERS!! :multi:

:blob2: :blob8: :blob5: :multi: :blob4:

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:50 pm

Great job again Joan!
Wanda
:flyer:
Owned by Shelly, Rose
:smt049 Peanut, Bud & Dinky Always In My Heart :smt049
Parrot, Miniature Donkey & 1 human
And All My Lil Orphans

Pam
NFSA Member

Postby Pam » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:30 am

Good job Joan, you said it all. All this results in unconditiomal love for and from our flyers..Pam
Pam, Abbey and Binky ..PeeWee..4 very happy souls

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:40 pm

thanks for posting this joan! i hope everyone considering getting a flyer reads this first.
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:33 pm

Good No Sugar Coating. Thats the way it should be.

Great Answer.

Mary

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:11 pm

OUTSTANDING!!!! :notworthy: :cheers:
State and Federal permit holder

bevandebbie
NFSA Member

Postby bevandebbie » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:40 pm

Hats off to you, Joan!!! \:D/
Debbie & Chester

Naya
Flying Furball

Postby Naya » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:45 pm

Nothing but the truth, Joan! :notworthy:

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:43 am

I think Joan is getting a big head now!
Wanda
:flyer:
Owned by Shelly, Rose
:smt049 Peanut, Bud & Dinky Always In My Heart :smt049
Parrot, Miniature Donkey & 1 human
And All My Lil Orphans

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:31 pm

Joan I am glad you posted the ownership guide lines.

I would like to add that if your not able to keep your flyer then please be responible enought to see that it gets a good home .

Mine are very luck to have a forster daddy so they can have all kind of natural foods to eat and buds from so many different kinds of trees. I think that is one reason that our little guys don't care for store bought items as much. Our flyers think that we humans live in "their cage". My husband doesn't bring me flowers and such but sure does bring in unusual things that the little guys will love and have striped in no time. Also I bought two beautiful small rose bushes that had beautiful blooms on them. Forgot and left them out on the table one night and Yep most of the buds and blooms were either eaten or all over the table and floor. What is left of the rose bushes are now on our glassed in porch. LOL Little stinkers.
:queen: Ms. BayBea Belle, :tink: Tinkerbelle,
:fly: Linus, :occasion2: Baby Oops, and :love1: Daphne

Gail's (Deep South Home for Flyer Foundlings )

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:36 pm

Great work, Joan. We must remember, these little fellows did not ask us to take them out of their homes for our pleasure, but once we do, their happiness should be our first priority :!:
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

Joe
NFSA Member

worthy of the commitment

Postby Joe » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:57 pm

These little Angels are truely worthy of all the appreciation and caring and of course our love, thanks Joan for putting into words what so many can't.
Sincerely Joe and Angel Spice
Joe
Spice's HOF

abigailinseattle

Re: What is Responsible Flyer Ownership?

Postby abigailinseattle » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:30 am

This site is great! I have been reading through all the different posts and am SO thankful for all the information you all have! I found Moses as a newborn 7 months ago on the side of the road, and while I have kind of figured out what all he needs, it was such a relief to find all this information on things I didn't know, and reassurance that I have been doing things right for him as well! A big thank you to all!
Abi

NatureTalk

Postby NatureTalk » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:22 am

Hmm. To me, responsible flyer ownership would be taking them in when they need our help, and releasing them back to the wild when they no longer need our help.

An alternate to that might be opening a window, or putting a release cage outside, and letting them decide.

Some of our released grays still want to live with us, kinda. They don't want to come back in the house, or under our control, but they will sometimes make nests on our pool patio. Most go wild, but some seem to want to be around us, near us, but not under our control.

Free food might be part of our appeal. :-)
Nature-Talk News:
The best nature on the Net, delivered to your inbox each week.
Nature Photo Gallery | Nature Video Clips

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:52 pm

NatureTalk wrote:Hmm. To me, responsible flyer ownership would be taking them in when they need our help, and releasing them back to the wild when they no longer need our help.

That's rehabbing, not ownership. :wink: This post was for responsibly keeping a flyer as a pet.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

NatureTalk

Postby NatureTalk » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:04 am

Joan wrote:That's rehabbing, not ownership. :wink: This post was for responsibly keeping a flyer as a pet.

Is it responsible to keep a flyer as a pet?

Wildlife and domesticated pets are different, aren't they?

If we open the door, and the critter in question runs outside for a bit, and then wants to come back in, it's a pet.

If we open the door, and the critter in question runs outside, and never asks to come back in, it's wildlife.

I don't claim to know where flying squirrels fit on this scale. We're still on our first litter. Has anybody tried to release flying squirrels, only to have them return to the release cage every day for years? If yes, ok, please share your story, that would be interesting.
Nature-Talk News:
The best nature on the Net, delivered to your inbox each week.
Nature Photo Gallery | Nature Video Clips

lynn
Flying Furball

Postby lynn » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:45 pm

Wildlife vs. pets is a very controversial discussion. I fall somewhere in the middle. I don't believe in taking flyers from the wild and keeping them. Nope, not even when they literally fall right in your lap. If that happened I would care for the baby until it is of releasable age/skill, and release it. (That is also the law in my state.) As far as pets go, I do have flyers. They were born in captivity, from a long line of captive-born flyers. I believe I follow all the requirements of responsible ownership, but I respect the opinions of those that disagree.
As long as we can have a polite and respectful discussion, I enjoy hearing from people of all opinions. I have to say, this forum does the best job of any list I've been on so far! Thanks, guys!
Lynn's spastic nuts: Bunpei, Boeing, Calypso, Dixie, and Piper.

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Tue May 26, 2009 7:39 pm

I agree: being responsible is very important but as far as what kind of pet you own assuming it's not a pet that would harm someone or that would be cruel to keep, it is your own choice, I agree that you should NEVER capture a flyer from the wild to be your pet, both of you will be very unhappy........ I don't know if it's a big deal to keep a flyer that you found as a baby because it seems to me if you spend the proper amount of time with it that it would be very well bonded to it's HOF, it also seems to me that it wouldn't know how to defend it's self and how to live in the wild like a wild flyer would and would be a more vulnerable to predators if released.
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue May 26, 2009 9:14 pm

This is a very interesting discussion and Lynn brings up good points.

First, let's look at some definitions.

Domesticated –verb (used with object)
1.to convert (animals, plants, etc.) to domestic uses; tame.

Can a flyer be tame i.e. "changed from a wild state". Certainly, as we know with ourfurballs.

2. to tame (an animal), esp. by generations of breeding, to live in close association with human beings as a pet or work animal and usually creating a dependency so that the animal loses its ability to live in the wild.

Perhaps they don't meet this definition because of the lack of generations of breeding in captivity. It's my understanding that there hasn't been a "new" domesticated animal in 4,000 years.
We do know that when Europeans first arrived in this country, Native Americans had flying squirrel "pets". I doubt that they were captive bred and imagine they were free to go any time they wished. Native Americans may have kept these "pets" for hundreds, if not thousands of years. Does that qualify them as domestic?
So far, I don't know of a flyer that can't be reverted to it's wild state as evidenced by my experience with the Florida "Wild Bunch" cage.

Tame
1. changed from the wild or savage state; domesticated: a tame bear.

Certainly, our furballs fall in this category.

2. without the savageness or fear of humans normal in wild animals; gentle, fearless, or without shyness, as if domesticated: That lion acts as tame as a house cat.

Again, they meet this definition with occassional relapses at hormonal times.
:twisted:

Feral
1. existing in a natural state, as animals or plants; not domesticated or cultivated; wild.

Is a feral cat domesticated, wild or a pet? Maybe all of the above. Feral cats are able to survive in the wild. Yet, I know many people who feed feral cats and on occasion take them into their homes to live. They are never like house cats raised from kittens, but are the any less domesticated animals or any less pets?

2. having reverted to the wild state, as from domestication: a pack of feral dogs roaming the woods.

We know flyers can do this; so can cats and dogs.

Pet
1. any domesticated or tamed animal that is kept as a companion and cared for affectionately.

Our furballs certainly fall under this!

Wildlife –noun
1. undomesticated animals living in the wild, including those hunted for food, sport, or profit.

Can't say that mine fall in this category, but they could if turned loose in the woods. I do know flyers that have "escaped" never to be seen again. I assume they became wildlife. But, I also know of flyers who "escaped" and returned a day or two later, very happy to be home.

Maybe our biology major can add to this discussion from an acedemic standpoint. :D

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Tue May 26, 2009 11:02 pm

I agree with you, but I don't think it takes a degree to figure out that you shouldn't take wild animals out of their environment and make them pet's it just doesn't work.
When I was talking about keeping baby flyers I meant that I didn't know if it was ok but I was thinking it would depend how old they where if they where really young I think you could keep them,or you could perfectly or at least as well as you can, simulate their natural habitat and avoid too much contact as to keep them wild.

However thank you for the in depth analysis of this continuing debate.
Joan your thoughts and opinions are always thought well of and welcomed.

Travis

R.I.P Taz

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue May 26, 2009 11:49 pm

flyer_1 wrote:I agree with you, but I don't think it takes a degree to figure out that you shouldn't take wild animals out of their environment and make them pet's it just doesn't work.

No, but biologists have their own language and their definitions of the above may be very different from the lay definitions out of dictionaries.

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Wed May 27, 2009 7:45 am

Of course that's true, in my own way I was agreeing with you but in a much simpler fashion, there's no doubt having a degree helps to understand it better such things like domestication, and I think I understand what your saying animals have that wild side to them and unless it's been bred out of them, like your typical house cat left alone will revert to their wild side.
I understand that your saying flyers are great pets they do still have that wild side to them. When I said that you don't need a degree I only meant that you don't need a degree I was talking about not needing one to know whether your should take wild animal and make them your pet.

Travis

R.I.P Taz

Return to “General”