Warning! If you are in an Unfriendly state!

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
Rhiannonn2626
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Warning! If you are in an Unfriendly state!

Postby Rhiannonn2626 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:32 pm

The forum over at The Squirrel Board was recently hacked(maybe) and a few illegal owners with specific locations were turned over to the authorities! They arent sure what happened... PLEASE for the sake of your babies if you are on the questionable side of the law DO NOT BE SPECIFIC! This is the post.(If I am out of line feel free to remove it mods!) http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/show ... php?t=3743
Thanks!

Janna
Last edited by Rhiannonn2626 on Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PROUD HOF to Pixie!!!

Cathy C.
NFSA Member

Red Flag!

Postby Cathy C. » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:31 pm

I'm on alert! Does anyone know more about this?
Cathy C & Princess P.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:43 pm

No one knows what's true and what's board hysteria. We have moderators who are mods there, so just sit back and wait to hear from them. Don't even bother reading it. :wink:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Rhiannonn2626
Flying Furball

Postby Rhiannonn2626 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:51 pm

Sorry. :oops: I still feel its good advice whether the board is hacked or not though. Better safe than sorry!
PROUD HOF to Pixie!!!

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:08 pm

So far, nothing is known for sure about who is the cause of all this. What IS known is this - one Texas woman who was not a licensed rehabber had the authorities show up at her door and take three baby squirrels that she was rehabbing. The babies were turned over to another rehabber. This particular non-licensed rehabber had been rehabbing for several years, with no problems, and had web sites that made it appear that she was licensed, although she never stated that she was. It seems that someone in Texas called in a complaint on her.

Also, a TSB member in an unfriendly state had a grey squirrel that was a hurricane Katrina rescue. He was a much loved, well cared for squirrel. The Fish and Game Dept. showed up last night at her house with a warrant and took her squirrel. He was taken to a vet and is to be put down Monday.

No one knows if these two incidents are related, and it is not known who turned in the complaints on these people. Members of TSB are frantically working to find out any information on both cases, as well as trying to save the squirrel that is due to be put down Monday. Right now, the safety of the squirrel is the main focus of everyone - then finding the responsible persons will be looked into. It is not known if this was just a coincidence, if someone hacked into TSB and got information that way or what.

Please keep the welfare of the little impounded squirrel, and the family that raised and loves him, in your thoughts and prayers. As I find out any further information that is factual and not just rumor or assumptions, I will keep everyone here posted.

Thanks,
Judy

Lora
NFSA Member

Warning if you are in an unfriendly state

Postby Lora » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:44 pm

Thanks Judy. Sending prayers for Henri's safe return.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:48 pm

Thanks Judy.
Any of you in a flyer unfriendly state who have concerns about "hackers" somehow getting into the board, go to your profile and change your "state" to a blank. If you want your state removed from the Members' Directory, let me know. I'll ask Kevin to post about the possibility of hacking ... he's much more computer literate than me.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:48 pm

Rhiannonn2626 wrote:Sorry. :oops: I still feel its good advice whether the board is hacked or not though. Better safe than sorry!

I agree. Everyone will appreciate your post. You are not out of line.
I read on the squirrel board to change your location in profile. I think that is a good idea but will it help?
Wanda
:flyer:
Owned by Shelly, Rose
:smt049 Peanut, Bud & Dinky Always In My Heart :smt049
Parrot, Miniature Donkey & 1 human
And All My Lil Orphans

Naya
Flying Furball

Postby Naya » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:54 pm

This is scary. I would be horrified if someone came to take away my Boss and Gucci.

If authorities were to show up to confiscate our flyers, what should we do? For me, I'm only a half hour away from the flyer-friendly part of NY so it wouldnt be hard for me to just run over there and blow them a raspberry. But what about everyone else?

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:35 pm

Just a quick update. Things are still in an uproar at TSB. So far, there is no clue as to 'who did what and how'. Word came in last night that Henri, the impounded grey squirrel, was euthanized. Authorities are being very close-mouthed in both cases, and we have not been able to get any information from them at all. If anything ever comes out on any of this, I'll let you all know. Right now, this is really ripping TSB to shreds. The uncertainty of the circumstances has everyone on edge, wondering when, where, and if, the next ax will fall.

Stay sane, people.

Judy

Lora
NFSA Member

Postby Lora » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:09 pm

I strongly feel the two incidents were isolated... possibly even unrelated. I still have alot of questions as to what happened to Henri (the squirrel). The hacker theory has been ruled out. Was simply an issue of someone forgetting to log out. I just hope they can get to the bottom of it. There's alot of good people over there who didn't deserve this and are entitled to answers. This whole thing as made me appreciate you guys more than ever. I honestly believe this could never happen here. The NFSA is a well run ship with a fabulous crew and I feel very fortunate to be on board. FLYER PEOPLE ARE AWESOME!

Wanda
NFSA Member

Re: Warning if you are in an unfriendly state

Postby Wanda » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:12 pm

Lora wrote: Was simply an issue of someone forgetting to log out.
Gosh, I never log out!

FLYER PEOPLE ARE AWESOME!

Definitely, FLYER PEOPLE ARE AWSOME!!
Wanda
:flyer:
Owned by Shelly, Rose
:smt049 Peanut, Bud & Dinky Always In My Heart :smt049
Parrot, Miniature Donkey & 1 human
And All My Lil Orphans

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:44 pm

Flyer people learn how to remain calm and keep their heads when there is a sudden outbreak of squirrliness :cool:

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:00 pm

Yes, Deb because we need our rest, 'cause when night falls we all go berserk! :evilbat:

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:23 pm

Joan, there is no truer statement than your last. I just hope that the ones who decided to take and end Henri's life pay some day :bad-words:

Glorya, now owned by two, Pistol Pete and Martie Monster
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:45 pm

Glorya, if any of what was posted is true.

Kevin
NFSA Member

Postby Kevin » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:14 am

Joan wrote:Any of you in a flyer unfriendly state who have concerns about "hackers" somehow getting into the board, go to your profile and change your "state" to a blank. If you want your state removed from the Members' Directory, let me know. I'll ask Kevin to post about the possibility of hacking ... he's much more computer literate than me.

I feel quite confident that we have taken adequate precautions against hackers and the like. The rotten spammers have kept me on my toes over the years here.

If some sort of state agency wanted to make a fuss then I would expect them to get a paid membership and get access to the member list (before requesting it outright). So given that possiblity I would reccomend not providing your location if you reside in a flyer *un-friendly* state.
Kevin

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:45 am

Kevin also e-mail me ... "I checked and it appears that the server where the messageboards and website are hosted / physically located is in California so IF the worst case were to ever happen (state agency requesting membership records), then we should fall under that state's guidelines. One good thing is CA has pretty good data protection laws.

Thanks to our HOF attorney: "It is a misdemeanor in most states to not have a permit- small potatoes. There has to be some due process of law- unless there are exigent circumstances that justify a forced entry with a search warrant. It would seem that they have enough to do as a practical matter. I don’t know how they would have sufficient "probable cause" to get a valid search warrant unless they had a report from a witness that had actually seen the animals and decided to turn them in.  I certainly don’t see the authorities tearing up a house looking for flying squirrels. They would be setting themselves up for a lawsuit if they did. There has to be some reasonable relationship between the seriousness of the offense and the remedy they take.  It isn’t like any of us have meth labs in the house."  

Anyway, the whole things sounds very strange to me.
Last edited by Joan on Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lora
NFSA Member

Postby Lora » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:29 pm

I agree... very strange.

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:55 pm

Now, I don't know the whole back story, but I have a friend w/ some law exsperience as well. He also thought this very strange. Much like you mentioned...they have bigger fish to fry.
were both squirrels taken in TX? also, I thought flyers were legal there, why would they be seized?
I mean, CA is suposed to be super anal about thier exotic animal laws, and that seems kinda excesive even for us.

Lora
NFSA Member

Postby Lora » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:47 am

The pet squirrel was in Louisiana. Not sure where the unlicensed rehabber was.

Return to “General”