When does a squirrel start acting squirrelly??

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
Rhiannonn2626
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

When does a squirrel start acting squirrelly??

Postby Rhiannonn2626 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:03 pm

I mean the brat...err I mean Pixie will not even mess with a nut unless I have shelled it for her. No stashing no gnawing no nothing...I'm starting to worry about the state of her teeth as she has no interest in chewing on anything but Mommys arm hair and the inside of my sweatshirts. Any hope for it, or should I just give in???
PROUD HOF to Pixie!!!

Lora
NFSA Member

When does a squirrel start acting squirrely

Postby Lora » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:25 pm

Bojangles didn't take an active interest in the larger, unshelled nuts until he could actually make a dent in one (appx 5 mos old). I think it was overwelming to him before. He did love the little acorns cause they were just his size & he could crack em all by himself. Try pine nuts & almonds in the shell too as they're also softer shells.

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:41 pm

When they are very young, they can't really open nuts. HAve you tried some of the softer shelled ones like almonds? Those are Nieve's favorites becase they are the easiest. You can also try partially cracking the nuts and see if she will try to finish the job. Otherwise, just give her time. She will get there.
Chris
Proud HOF to Nieve
3-24-06
Thank you always Avalon!

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:53 pm

(sigh) ABSOLUTLY DO NOT "GIVE IN" That is the problem. Solution?

(1) No more nuts for a couple weeks. Remove all stashes of unshelled nuts.
(2) After about 2 weeks give the little monster an assortment of nuts in the shell. Include hard and soft kinds and acorns.
(3) After grown flyer is getting into his own nuts be very stingy with handing out shelled nuts to him. They should be used as treats and bribes.

If your little monster can still hold out after this, you have to resort to tough love :twisted: No food. only fresh water and nuts in the shells!

"A flying squirrel will not starve himself to death" Tom Hauk :wink:

Naya
Flying Furball

Postby Naya » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:20 pm

I agree with Deb, don't give in. :wink:

Homie shelled a filbert two weeks after I got her but Boss and Gucci wont even look at a nut if it's still in its shell (unless the nut is a pecan but they'll give up after a few tries at it).

I think its different with each flyer and their level of determination?

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:10 am

Deb wrote:If your little monster can still hold out after this, you have to resort to tough love :twisted: No food. only fresh water and nuts in the shells!

"A flying squirrel will not starve himself to death" Tom Hauk :wink:

i'm jealous of this issue... not shelling in-shell nuts! once she figures out what's inside them, you'll have to start taking them away or it's all she'll eat! and deb, i was given the same tough love advice, only to get batman to eat veggies... it works, but i have to do it every couple nights or she'll still preferentially choose unhealthy foods always :roll:
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:21 pm

Of course you have to keep up the tough love measures on most pets (and kids) They will always try to have their way on everything if you don't. If you act like you are willing to give up control, they will gladly take it from you :twisted:

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:55 pm

They think they can win over us every time.

And most of them do :twisted:
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:07 am

You missed the whole point...Pixie is already acting squirrely - and doing a very good job of it! She doesn't want to waste her time chewing through nut shells, so she has you doing it for her! You have to really be alert to catch these acts of 'squirreliness', and recognize them for what they are - the never ending process of training a human! Once you catch on to what they're doing, and accept it, the training goes a lot faster and smoother.

Good Luck, but I think she already has you right where she wants you!!!!!
:notworthy: :flyer:

Judy
Last edited by Judy C. on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vickie
NFSA Member

Postby Vickie » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:32 pm

My training is ongoing. Only last night I was given a lesson in Keep the Nuts Coming. A few nights this week, I have tossed some nuts into a half coconut shell in Barnie's cage before I went to bed. Last night, she hit the coconut shell a couple of times with her paws, and then looked up at me. The shell was empty.
First Barnie, and now Jimmy--Zing, went the strings of my heart!

Return to “General”