left alone?

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
Susie
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

left alone?

Postby Susie » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:42 am

I would like your comments about something. We have 3 squirrels here in our den, 3 different cages, and 3 different kinds of squirrels. One is a fox, one is a gray and one is a flyer. We are with them alot and they are out of the cages running around every day and at night while we watch tv here in the den. We are wanting to go away for 3 nights and 4 days and -------do you think they will be alright here alone for that time? We can put out plenty of food and water and hopefully nothing would happen to any of them. What do you think that they will think about that? I worry about them getting lonely and scared or do they really think like that. We've never left them that long. We have, tho, left them for 3 days and 2 nights. They seem nervous and jumpy when we get home but that's because it's been so quiet here, I guess. I just don't know if I can go have a good time knowing they are here alone.

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:10 am

Susie we are very lucky to have a person that will come and spent the night at our home and take care of our 3 dogs , 1 bird, 3 flyers. They all love her and she them. Maybe you could find some one that would come in at least for a few hrs and talk to them through the cages and check on food and water? It would be well worth not having to worry about the little guys. Just a thought
:queen: Ms. BayBea Belle, :tink: Tinkerbelle,
:fly: Linus, :occasion2: Baby Oops, and :love1: Daphne

Gail's (Deep South Home for Flyer Foundlings )

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:28 am

I don't have experience with this, but I would imagine that they would be fine. If you could get someone to check up on them that would be good, but if you can't I wouldn't worry too much.
Chris
Proud HOF to Nieve
3-24-06
Thank you always Avalon!

Kay
NFSA Member

Postby Kay » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:08 am

I'd hang two water bottles in case one gets stuck. If someone could just come in and check and give fresh foods it would be better.
kay

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: left alone?

Postby Joan » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:18 am

Susie wrote:... We are wanting to go away for 3 nights and 4 days and -------do you think they will be alright here alone for that time?

They'll be fine. :D
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Susie
NFSA Member

Postby Susie » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:49 pm

Thanks, we are going to put water in their cages in 2 different ways. Each has a bottle but we're going to use heavy bowls, also. Maybe we can get one of our sons to come by and talk to them and check on them. They're not crazy about them but for us surely they could be nice. They're always asking us why we don't get a cat or dog like everyone else. ha We love our squirrels!! Our flyer-Piper-she is so mean sometimes. Like today, we just came in from church and she's ready to fight and bite. She wasn't in her usual bed but in another and when I was talking to her and running my hand in the beds she attacked me and bit me. She is either in a loving mood or she wants to fight and bite. You never know till it's too late and you're bleeding. One day I caught her with her biting me all the time and I shook her and scolded her and blew in her face. It does seem to help for awhile. I know that she knew why I was fussing at her. She knows!! She's just a meanie sometimes. I know I'll worry about them anyway.

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:08 pm

My two girls can be such little sweet hearts for a few days and bam they start again saying lets see who can bite mom first. I can even have all three on me at different times some nights and they are just as if they are the only one in the house. Those days are few and FAR between but I sure do enjoy them when they are sweet like that. When they are acting up that is when Dad takes over and Mom goes to bed and puts towel down under the door so they can't get in. Yes I hear them trying. :twisted:
:queen: Ms. BayBea Belle, :tink: Tinkerbelle,
:fly: Linus, :occasion2: Baby Oops, and :love1: Daphne

Gail's (Deep South Home for Flyer Foundlings )

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:45 am

When we go for a few days I bag flyer dinners into little zip lock bags and put them into the crisper drawer of the fridge. My parents come by before dark (to avoid escapes) and freshen the water and put out a bag of dinner.

BUT, when Mom & Dad come along on a trip for a few days, I put in each cage: a whole ear of corn with only a few layers of shuck removed to get rid of any pesticides, a whole apple, a big bowl of Nut&Berry, and a large pile of nuts in the shells, And extra bowls of water in several places around the cages.

Everybody is always fine and ready for some yogurt and loving on me when we get home.

Oh yeah, I usually leave a shallow pie plate or baking dish with dry oatmeal and mealworms for the furballs to go worm hunting in.

Susie
NFSA Member

Postby Susie » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:14 pm

Yes, we thought we'd leave whole apples, one for each, nuts, shelled and whole. My husband today got each of them a water bowl like chickens have with the jar screwed onto a plate and the water feeds into the plate as it's taken out. And each already has a water bottle. I don't know why but our "Lucky Boy", the grey squirrel, will not drink from his bottle. We've left his water bowl out of his cage for 24 hours and he'd get really thirsty but he would not drink from the bottle, so I'd give him a drink from a bowl cause I'd feel sorry for him. We named him that cause one day I watched him die. He was acting funny and I watched him go behind something and lay down and took his last breath. He was limp as a rag. I got him up and thumped him in the chest and messed with him and his heart started beating again. Then he started breathing. I was amazed. He also had some kind of convulsions twice after that. We liked to have never thought of a name for him. My husband started calling him "Lucky Boy" cause I was here to see him and save him.

Guardian
Teen HOF

Postby Guardian » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:09 pm

Deb wrote:When we go for a few days I bag flyer dinners into little zip lock bags and put them into the crisper drawer of the fridge....

Deb, you have taught me to not read fast. I was scanning along and read: "When we go for a few days I bag the flyers into little zip lock bags and put them into the crisper drawer of the fridge..."

I was like: :eeeeek:

Lol.
Rest in Peace Gypsy, I wish you were still with us.
Smudge, have fun in cat heaven.

HOF to: Hijack

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:20 pm

:rotflol:

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:53 am

:chairfall: ROTHLMAO
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:39 am

I've only left mine for one night... I left the TV on so they would have entertainment. ANIMAL PLANET, of course!
peep :)
State and Federal permit holder

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:47 pm

Any time, day or night I need to be gone, I leave the TV on a music station and let it play just loud enough to be heard in the bedroom.
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:06 am

I always leave them with a CD of Sir James Galway playing flute. That way maybe they feel like at least Maria is here playing hers :D

Susie
NFSA Member

Postby Susie » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:46 am

I just hope nothing goes wrong while we're gone. I really don't want to leave them this long. "Piper" loves her wheel. Last night was the first time she's ever been on one and she just stayed and stayed, trying everything on it. She kept lookin at me after awhile, so I put my arm out to her to get off if she wanted to and she jumped on my arm, ran up my arm and attacked my neck and made me bleed. I don't know what that was for. She's just mean alot of the time. We haven't asked anyone to come check on them while we're gone. We just don't want anyone to come into the house and maybe leave something different than it was or something. If something happens to one of my babies I'll just be so mad at myself.

Susie
NFSA Member

Postby Susie » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:25 pm

Well, we got back from our trip and all was fine. Rosie wouldn't come out of her bed to see us=she never will-she's always mad at us. Lucky Boy came out and wanted on me first thing. He was so releaved to see us. He wanted to play on my chair like he always does. Piper, the flyer, stuck her head out and got on my hand and just sat there. She was glad we came home, too. This was at 11:30 am yesterday. I took Lucky Boy, our grey squirrel to a vet today and got his top two teeth cut. They are too long. He has got to be made to chew more. Last night I took Piper to her little room and let her play, put her in her new wheel, she ran some, played and jumped-then she jumped out, ran up my arm and attacked my cheek and chin. Bit the heck out of me, bleeding I shook her, scolded her, and blew in her face. That's twice she's come out of the wheel and attacked me. What is her problem? I'm keeping my distance from now on when she's in the wheel. She's so mean to me when she wants to be. She bit me 5 times on my thumb last night and it's been sore and swollen all day. She's either "sweet" to me or "fight and bite". Last night I was at the computer and she started squeeling at the top of her voice, I went over to her pen and she ran in her bed and I know she wanted me to stick my hand in there so she could attack, but I didn't.

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:32 pm

Guardian wrote:
Deb wrote:When we go for a few days I bag flyer dinners into little zip lock bags and put them into the crisper drawer of the fridge....

Deb, you have taught me to not read fast. I was scanning along and read: "When we go for a few days I bag the flyers into little zip lock bags and put them into the crisper drawer of the fridge..."

I was like: :eeeeek:

Lol.

Oh My GOd...I read the exact same thing...I too shall never skim again
Owned by
Madamoiselle Artemis Isobella D'Antionette
Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

Return to “General”