Won't fly

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
gloryaf88
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Won't fly

Postby gloryaf88 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:51 am

How do I encourage Pistol to fly and jump? I know each flyer develops at their own pace and tries new things at different times, however Pistol is now a little over a year old and he has only flew once or twice. He will also not jump off anything higher than about one foot to eighteen inches off the floor. I thought maybe he was scared of heights, however, he will climb to the ceiling on the wall blanket and sit on top of the curtains, but he climbs almost to the floor before he jumps off. Any ideas?

I thought chasing and playing with Martie would help and today I put him in the closet on the top shelf with her, but he didn't come down until I went and got him.

Just thought someone might know what to do to help him trust his jumps more.
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

Lora
NFSA Member

Won't Fly

Postby Lora » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:51 am

When he wants to get from point A to point B bad enough he'll fly :)

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:57 am

Darra and Lora got that right! Heck, he tried it once and didn't like it. Why should he fly, he's got a slave to carry him where ever he wants. Chuck & Mishi are proud of how well he has trained his squammy :twisted:
Last edited by Joan on Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:03 am

Joan wrote:Heck, he tried it once and didn't like it. Why should he fly, he's got a slave to carry him where ever he wants. :twisted:

I like that Joan. How true it is!! He has no need or reason to want to fly. Mine don't either.
Wanda
:flyer:
Owned by Shelly, Rose
:smt049 Peanut, Bud & Dinky Always In My Heart :smt049
Parrot, Miniature Donkey & 1 human
And All My Lil Orphans

ravenqueen
NFSA Member

Postby ravenqueen » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:20 pm

Puck doesn't either...he won't even stay on my hands if I raise them above my head--he runs right down my arm! We tried a few times putting him up high, but he chirps angrily if we do that, so I figure I'll just let him be. No reason to stress him out if he just doesn't wanna. :)

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:48 pm

I believe that this little tid bit should be taught to Naya's Boss!...We were in class today and all he did was jump into my hair over and over and over again!
Owned by
Madamoiselle Artemis Isobella D'Antionette
Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

Naya
Flying Furball

Postby Naya » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:36 pm

Oh yes Boss won't stay off Helen or me. Flyflyfly that's all he ever does. Even if I carry him to his wanted destination, he'll hop off a few feet earlier just to get the opportunity to fly.

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:51 pm

wow pistol won't fly? lol. i think he's domesticated...
batman doesn't believe in any method of transportation minus flying. she'll stand in place and wait for me to move to another side of the room so she can jump to me, and get to that side of the room easier. i'm like her taxi.
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:53 pm

Okay, that makes me worry less. Last night, Martie flew from the wall to the cages on the other side and Pistol sat on the wall cheeping until I reached up so he could use my hand to climb down to the bed, then the floor and run to the cages.

Joan, Chuck and Mishi should be very proud of him, he's rotten :evilbat:
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:57 pm

gloryaf88 wrote:... he could use my hand to climb down to the bed, then the floor and run to the cages.

That's his mama's doing ... she's a floor runner. Chuck had never touched the floor until Mishi taught him. :roll:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:06 pm

Great. Tell Mishi this one may run the wheel like his dad but he's a floor runner like his mom :twisted:

Moca
Flying Furball

Postby Moca » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:58 am

Interesting...Nugget likes to glide and we even play dive bomb the human game.
Protect wildlife,keep ye cat indoors.
www.abcbirds.org
:coffee: Moca

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:40 pm

Moca wrote:Interesting...Nugget likes to glide and we even play dive bomb the human game.

That's Martie's game as most people can tell by looking at my face. She loves to come off the top of the curtains while I am laying in bed an pounce dirrectly on my face or head.

yubman
Flying Furball

Postby yubman » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:20 am

We have two flyers. The older one (Beacon) also doesn't fly much. Only one or two "routes" that he's done over and over again. He'll jump to me from the curtains, but only a short distance.

Our younger flyer (Bexley) is a real crazy flyer. He'll dive bomb me from anywhere! Now that he's mastered turning, he'll get me from around corners! He seems to love landing on my face when I'm on the bed (crazy flyer!) reading.

With the older flyer, he didn't fly at all untill we were able to get him more comfortable with jumping. Initally my wife and I would stand near each other and let him jump between us. Gradually over several weeks we would widen the gap till he was almost gliding. After that he would make a few jumps/glides from fixed locations. I guess that's the best we can do fro him (I suspect he was raised in a very small enclosure before we got him). To this day (he's 5 now) he'll run across the floor to cover the bulk of the rooms distance.

tony

Linda
Flying Furball

Postby Linda » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:29 am

Amanda was doing lots of flying/jumping until about a month ago when she missed the curtains by about 3 inches too far to the left. She slammed into the glass in the upper sash and then fell hard into the windowsill. This was her second disaster of this sort and while she didn’t seem hurt she is now very cautious. Now she mainly does short hops between Jeff and I. Not even trying until we are close enough to each other to suit her.
Amanda and Linda

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:36 am

Linda wrote:Amanda was doing lots of flying/jumping until about a month ago when she missed the curtains by about 3 inches too far to the left. She slammed into the glass in the upper sash and then fell hard into the windowsill. This was her second disaster of this sort and while she didn’t seem hurt she is now very cautious.

Well, you know, girls aren't quite as good at "doing the math" as boys. :twisted:

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:28 pm

Joan wrote:Well, you know, girls aren't quite as good at "doing the math" as boys. :twisted:

Martie does really good at landing where she wants.

Another question, is it okay for Martie to drink coffee or milk? She keeps diving head first into my drinks and helping herself. She can put the coffee away and does petty good on the milk.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:34 am

gloryaf88 wrote: ... Another question, is it okay for Martie to drink coffee or milk?

I wouldn't think either could be good for her.

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:13 pm

I didn't think so, but I got attacked tonight repeatedly because I came to the computer with out either one, so finally I went and fixed a cup of coffee with very little coffee in it. You would think these two crabapple tree limbs loaded with baby apples and buds would have been enough for Miss Martie.

Martie and Pistol will now sleep all day in my closet together, but they still will not share a cage. Right now, Martie is going back and forth between my bed and Pistol's cage, trying to get him to come out and join her, but he just watches her. Amazing how it has changed from him chasing her to her chasing him :oops:

Return to “General”