The Term "HOFs"

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
Wanda
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

The Term "HOFs"

Postby Wanda » Fri May 04, 2007 10:01 am

How and when did the term "HOFs" originate? Was it by you Joan when the NFSA begun?
Wanda
:flyer:
Owned by Shelly, Rose
:smt049 Peanut, Bud & Dinky Always In My Heart :smt049
Parrot, Miniature Donkey & 1 human
And All My Lil Orphans

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Fri May 04, 2007 12:33 pm

Before then ... inspired by Chuck before he was a year old.. :twisted:

How to Recognize a Human Owned by a Flying Squirrel
By
Joan Barron
Copyright 2002

Humans owned by flying squirrels (HOFs) have long been able to recognize one another at first sight. The general population, however, has not realized the sensitivity of these individuals they often consider "odd". It is the attempt of this paper to interpret the behavior that is so misunderstood and often repulsive to non owned humans.

One of the most common behavior seen in HOFs is the constant "chipping" sounds they make when accompanying their owners. HOFs will frequently "chip" while looking down the front of their shirts. This is often accompanied by interspersed verbalizations of, "Gimme a kiss". Non-HOFs usually start moving way at this point.

A frequent behavior often repulsive to Non-HOFs is the feathery stroking that HOFs do to their upper torsos until they finally come to concentrate on a specific "lumpy" area. HOFs have been known to continue this stroking for hours at a time, undisturbed by the glares of Non-HOFs. Indeed, HOFs seems not to notice the reactions of those around them. An example of the altered state of conscious that HOFs enter is the unselfconscious way they can walk around with a piece of pecan in their front teeth. This is often seen along with the "chipping down the shirt" vocalizations.

HOFs have a distress call that usually occurs when they are dressed in their best finery. It begins with a loud, "On No!" followed by, "You peed on my best dress/shirt/whatever". Although initially distressed, HOFs quickly recover and seldom change their clothing.

There is a decided lack of social skills in HOFs when it comes to their owners. All HOFs think non-HOFs are as interested in their FS owner as they are. It is without a doubt this extreme myopic view that enables a HOFs to wax eloquently about their FS owners' "jewels" doubling in size overnight and saying it with great pride.

There has been a disturbing movement under way to have a new diagnostic category added to the current list of mental illnesses. This would come under the Personality Disorders with a CO-morbid fetish included. This is obviously a political issue motivated by strong lobbying from the Blue Bird Association which is spreading the ugly rumor that FSs (and the humans they own) prey on innocent BB eggs. The fact that the BBA is attempting to influence the American Psychiatric Association (APA) to amend it's current Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM) to include this category, speaks for itself as to the divisiveness being set up among wildlife groups.

I call for all HOFs to come out of their closet Dreys and walk upright with pride. There are many of us and if we unite and resist external pressures, we will triumph!

As "weird" as Humans Owned by Flying Squirrels seem at times, the ultimate cause of their behavior is unadulterated love for a small furry creature who privilege them with trust, joy and unbounded exuberance ... and that aint bad :-)
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Fri May 04, 2007 12:37 pm

I had a feeling that HOFS was origingated by you Joan. Thanks for the article. Very interesting.
Wanda
:flyer:
Owned by Shelly, Rose
:smt049 Peanut, Bud & Dinky Always In My Heart :smt049
Parrot, Miniature Donkey & 1 human
And All My Lil Orphans

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Sat May 05, 2007 12:35 am

all of the above are so true!
the other day i asked my friend, who has become closely acquainted with batman, what she thought about me keeping a furry animal in my shirt all the time. she said, 'at first i thought it was weird. now i think all of our pets should sleep in our shirts!' i think she's being transformed :twisted:
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

sophocles22
Baby Flyer

Re: The Term "HOFs"

Postby sophocles22 » Thu May 29, 2008 1:04 am

haha. Thank you! I've been wondering what that meant. Good explanation.

HOF to Sophocles!

aMartyrsHeart
NFSA Member

Postby aMartyrsHeart » Thu May 29, 2008 7:43 am

"You peed on my best dress/shirt/whatever". Although initially distressed, HOFs quickly recover and seldom change their clothing.

HAHAHAHA! Guilty!
Arien G.
HOF to Pikachu
--------------
Wifey to: Derek - married 8 years
Mommy to: Nevaeh (Human girl) - 4 years old
:animaldog: P-Nut and :animaldog: Casey (ChiWeenies)
--------------
R.I.P. Snap (Southern Flying Squirrel)

newsquirrelmom
Baby Flyer

Postby newsquirrelmom » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:29 pm

Now I understand the true definition of HOF. Thanks for clarifying. My sfs does own me, but fortunately, I've been spared being peed on! - so far anyway!

pnerissa
NFSA Member

Postby pnerissa » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:14 pm

Hey Joan, mind if I include your article in the Newsletter? It might enlighten a few of us who haven't read it before. :multi:

Bev

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:48 pm

Sure, go ahead.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

pnerissa
NFSA Member

Postby pnerissa » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:00 pm

Joan wrote:Sure, go ahead.

Dang. Just missed getting in this issue by mere minutes. Look for it in the summer edition though! :computer:

Return to “General”