Horrible rash, and biting agression problems. Pics!

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
justlikeapill
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Horrible rash, and biting agression problems. Pics!

Postby justlikeapill » Fri May 25, 2007 5:10 pm

this is Clint's mom. The squirrels do this to me when they run around in my shirt. What is this? They don't scratch me, it's like... I don't know.

Also, they will JUMP at our hand and SCREETCH at us when we try to gt them out of their nest pouch. We do NOT like this kind of behavior! SweatPea bit me twice already. They are perfect sweaties the rest of the time, but they are screetching, jumping, and biting when we put our hands in their pouch.

Guardian
Teen HOF

Postby Guardian » Fri May 25, 2007 5:19 pm

From what I have read there seems to be a hormonal agression in the females of late. However, I have no idea what that rash is about. Perhaps it is an allergy to something on the squirrel's feet?

It'd probably be best to wash the cage, disinfect it GOOD, and manage to somehow wipe off the squirrel's feet before allowing them to run around in your shirt.

That's just my two cents from me, who just reads around the board, and doesn't have squirrels of my own.
Rest in Peace Gypsy, I wish you were still with us.
Smudge, have fun in cat heaven.

HOF to: Hijack

Linda
Flying Furball

Postby Linda » Fri May 25, 2007 5:27 pm

You may be extra sensitive. Jeff seems to have the same problem. He has to put on a long sleeve shirt before playing with Amanda. She has learned that she isn’t allowed inside of his shirt, but is in mine. I get scratches but not the rash.
Amanda and Linda

Lora
NFSA Member

Horrible Rash, biting aggression problems

Postby Lora » Fri May 25, 2007 6:14 pm

Your rash is a mild allergy or skin irritation. I can do that to myself simply by scratching. Next thing I know the entire area looks like what you have on your chest. It usually goes away in a few mins. I get the same reaction if one of my cats scratches me. If it's really annoying take a 1/2 dose of benedryl before playing with the girls. You might also try wiping their little feet with a baby wipe before putting them down your shirt. As for the aggression... they are a little young for hormones to rear their ugly heads so I'm gonna say they are letting you know you are invading their space. I've never met a rodent yet who liked to have their sleep disturbed. I never put my hand in Bojangles pouch. If he doesn't come when I call him I know he's asleep so I just gently rub the outside of his pouch until I find his little lumpy self & then I just give him a little tickle. If he's in the mood he'll come out. If not he squirms as if to say "GO AWAY" lol. When he does that I just leave him alone for awhile. I also have a hamster & have no doubt she would take my hand off at the wrist if I stuck it in her bed when she was sleeping.

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Fri May 25, 2007 7:00 pm

I kinda look like that after Isobella is in my shirt and active. I usually attribute it to her running around and scratching me. I really don't think much of mine...unless someone things it's an allergy that we should be wary of...
Owned by
Madamoiselle Artemis Isobella D'Antionette
Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

justlikeapill
NFSA Member

Postby justlikeapill » Fri May 25, 2007 8:51 pm

Hi guys, and thanks for the help! the rash is there 24/7 and does not go away. There aren't really any scratch marks, just this horrible , painful inflammation. It looks like acne. It's warm and feel feverish. I put some clindamycin on it earlier and that REALLY burned but that was just the alcohol foam lol. It doesn't itch. It's not only discoloration, but also raised and swollen. I think I'm starting to get a fever. It's also around my stomach. My son is unaffected.

actually I did try to get them out of their pouch 3 times before they bit me lol. They barked at me all 3 times. I guess pretty girls need their beauty sleep!

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Fri May 25, 2007 9:50 pm

you might be allergic to them. Cuz it does sounds like a skin allergy.
one of my friends breaks out when ever she handels rogue and she even starts sneezing etc.
I didn't even know you could be alergic to them but well i dont see why not.
Particularly if its warm to the touch and doesnt go away.
as for the biting.
Rogue don't like it when I stick my hand in her pouch. I guess she sees that at *her* space.
what I do is tip the pouch on its side or sometimes upside down untill she comes out in my hand.
she would sometimes resist at 1st but now she comes right out.
Its not threatning to her and so she never even gives me the slightest squabble.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Fri May 25, 2007 10:16 pm

Strangly enough, I've gotten a rash like that at times, but only from pups. Pups have the sharpest nails. I found it went away as they got older. I'd put Hydrocortisone on it and see if that helps.

justlikeapill wrote:this is Clint's mom ... Also, they will JUMP at our hand and SCREETCH at us when we try to gt them out of their nest pouch. We do NOT like this kind of behavior! SweatPea bit me twice already. They are perfect sweaties the rest of the time, but they are screetching, jumping, and biting when we put our hands in their pouch.

Very likely they feel threatened ... like a predator is grabbing them inside their nest especially if they are sleeping. See if you can call them and get them to poke their heads out so they see that it's you.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Fri May 25, 2007 10:47 pm

I get a rash similar to that during the summer time after handling one and going outside. However, I have never ran a fever with mine. I am all scratched up from where they use me as a scratching post and my doctor warns me to use antibiotic ointment during the day when they are sleeping to keep down infection.

If Pistol is in his nest box, he will sometimes let me get him out with no aggression, however, if he is in one of his nest pouches, I had better not stick my hand in there. Martie could care less where she is, I can each in any time.
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

Lora
NFSA Member

Horrible rash, biting & aggression problems

Postby Lora » Sat May 26, 2007 5:26 am

Are you taking any medication you might be having a reaction to? I know antibotics & codene will do that if you become allergic to them. Other than that I agree with everyone else. Benedryl makes a spray now too that I hear is really good.

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Sat May 26, 2007 9:04 am

Wow, true confessions! :cool: Me too! But it's like Joan said, its mostly when they were pups, or in my case, also in hot humid weather.
Some of us with very fair and super sensitive skin will have reactions to ANYTHING. My doc has seen the same reaction on me, and was more concerned with the Benadryl gel I was using for it affecting the squirrel than my rash :roll: She had Molly in her bra at the time :twisted:
I'm gonna have to make that woman an HOF one day :twisted: Last time I was there she called her mom to the clinic to visit Tiny Tim. Both of 'em wanting to get him in their shirts :wink:
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

RosieKnaack
Baby Flyer

rash

Postby RosieKnaack » Sat May 26, 2007 9:55 am

I get a rash like that wherever Penny scratches me. But mine goes away after 5-6 hours and it itches like heck. I jst put on anti-itch stuff and chalk it up to allergies. I would say yours is allergies, but since it doesn't itch and stays and stays I can't say from experience...

Good luck and I hope it gets better!

tosha_m_1981
Flying Furball

Postby tosha_m_1981 » Sat May 26, 2007 12:16 pm

I break out in the same rash when Libra and Taurus are running around in my shirt. I try to wear a tight tank top and then a loser shirt over it so that there claws don't make direct contact with my skin. But they still do on my chest and upper back. It stays pretty much all the time, I am pretty sure its allergies to their claws. My boyfriend doesn't break out like i do......I used to have to take Zyrtec because the slightest lil scratch from anything would break me out like that. But that had gone away until I got my lil furballs!!! But thats ok I would rather keep a rash then get rid of my lil ones.....
Tosha

Proudly owned by Libra(F) Taurus(M) Cosmo (M)
Mother to Rebecca and Tara
Jasmine the Cat and Miss Priss the dog In loving Memory of my lil Rascal (momma's baby boy)

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat May 26, 2007 12:42 pm

justlikeapill wrote:...There aren't really any scratch marks, just this horrible , painful inflammation.

You probably can't see the scratch markd for the rash. Pups have nails like tiny needles and sometimes the scratches are almost microscopic.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat May 26, 2007 12:47 pm

Nativeprincess wrote:you might be allergic to them. Cuz it does sounds like a skin allergy. one of my friends breaks out when ever she handels rogue and she even starts sneezing etc. I didn't even know you could be alergic to them but well i dont see why not.

Some folks are allergic to rodents ... there's a blood test for it. Sounds like what your friend had, but the rash can appear in a lot of us without the other allergic symptoms. A couple of times I got hive-like areas and it seems to be where pups tried to groom me. Made me think there was something in their saliva. Mine eventually went away and again, for some reason, only occured with pups.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat May 26, 2007 12:51 pm

tosha_m_1981 wrote:... I try to wear a tight tank top and then a loser shirt over it so that there claws don't make direct contact with my skin.

This works for a lot of folks and prevents your doctor from freaking out during a physical exam. LOL :twisted: Of course, my doctor asks to see Chuck and runs around showing him to all the staff. :roll:

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Sat May 26, 2007 10:02 pm

This works for a lot of folks and prevents your doctor from freaking out during a physical exam. LOL Of course, my doctor asks to see Chuck and runs around showing him to all the staff.

My Dr's office is just a mile from me. I was once ordered to go back home and get the flyers when I dared to show uo for my check up without them!

LOL!! My Husband's cardiologist is an arrogant, pompous ass, with no sense of humor at all... but he's one of the best in Houston. He saw Stormy squirming around under my shirt and gave me a strange look... so I pulled him out and showed him off....

The man acted like a 12 yr old with a new toy!!! He went crazy over Stormy and wanted to hold him & show him to the staff!!!!
Go figure!!
peep
State and Federal permit holder

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Sat May 26, 2007 10:21 pm

When I first got Pistol and he was still a shirt baby, I took him to my Dr's office and everyone in there were looking down the back of my shirt and reaching in to pet him. The same happened at the cigarette store too. Now everyone in these places want to know how Pistol is.
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Sun May 27, 2007 8:00 am

I would break out like that all the time when Peanut was smaller. His nails really were sharp.

I put a pizza stone under his food dishes to help "file" the nails. That worked great. After many washings, the stone is not filing his nails as good so I put bird cage sand paper under his food dishes and that helps alot.

His nails will still scratch alittle but I do not break out in a huge rash anymore.

Mary

Putting your hand in its sleep pouch is not a good idea. They don't know who is trying to grab them. Its there way of protecting themselves from a predator.

kitiarra
NFSA Member

Postby kitiarra » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:53 pm

I get the same thing, and as others stated, I wear a tight tank top then a loose shirt. That seems to help, A LOT. Also, being a mother I have some, was I call them, 'birthing scars' (stretch marks) and their nails are killer in that sensitive skin. SO the tank helps for that as well.
Amber

NestleQuick
Flying Furball

Postby NestleQuick » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:26 am

Yup! I have to agree with everyone else! Every time Nestle plays on me I look like that. It, too, has gotten better as she gets older and bigger. I have Super Sensitive skin, but have never gotten a fever. A few questions: Is this the first time you've gotten this rash? If not, have the times before resulted in fever? Do you think the fever could be unrelated to the rash? Maybe it was just impeccable timing? It seems that everyone has basically reached the same consensus, so hopefully you don't have anything to worry about. :) I don't really have any advice for the aggression problem. Sorry.

scalcagno
NFSA Member

Postby scalcagno » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:49 pm

Ok, when we bought hand raised Wind-L and brought him home, I had no rash problems. But...when we bought his mate Windy, three months later at a different store, (they told us she was hand raised, but she turned out to be wild) I broke out in severe rashes from holding her under my shirt just like your mom. She was wild and skitish at first and bit me often until I earned her trust. My guess is that you may have two issues being the rash and the trust.

I slowly stopped having the rashes after I carefully washed Windy's feet and toenails...knowing that microscopic bacteria are likely the true culprits for such a rash. I also clean the floor of their cage and nest area once a week. After this, the rashes slowly stopped.

Windy plays gently inside my shirt now and she no longer bites, but she was a wild thing at first!

I carefully guarded against anyone else possibly holding her during her bonding, I watched the light and noise levels in the room and I always wash my hands before picking up the squirrels. I have family members wash their hands too before holding them as flyers are so prone to react to anything that they percieve has an odor...even my basic hand lotions offend them...so I always wash with a soap that they approve of before any touching or holding. I use an orange scented liquid hand soap.

Once, Wend-L winced at me and turned away when I picked him up and sweettalked him (opps!)... :oops: after brushing my teeth he was much friendlier.

For the bonding, I place my hand in their sleeping box at times and lightly rest my hand near them..without picking them up and sweettalk them. This tends to build trust. When I do pick them up, I make sure that they are finishing their major rest period, and I very slowly and lightly grasp them from their box. I may take a full minute or two just so they know I'm not grabbing them. When I have them, I give them a small taste of peanut butter mixed with honey from my finger tip and gently rub their ears.

I never introduce them to more than two other humans at a time.

Windy no longer gives me rashes and both Wind-L and Windy will allow themselves to be held easily by others when loved into a "comatose" mood.

You may already be doing some of these things. :smt060 They definitely worked for me.
Good Luck!

Sarah Calcagno
"Wind-L & Windy"
Sarah & Robert Calcagno & Family
Spring, Texas

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:49 pm

I get a rash just like that from mine and they are older. Mine are from scratches. I see little scratches and the rash appears later. So I started wearing an undershirt and put the flyers between the two shirts so they aren't next to my skin. This reallly HELPS!
Wanda
:flyer:
Owned by Shelly, Rose
:smt049 Peanut, Bud & Dinky Always In My Heart :smt049
Parrot, Miniature Donkey & 1 human
And All My Lil Orphans

Airstreamlady
NFSA Member

Postby Airstreamlady » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:19 am

Thanks Wanda. We got the Stealth Wheels with the sandpaper insertions. This REALLY helps. It seems that since they've gotten older that their nails aren't like little pins any more.
- Patti -
The Official Poopologist
Squammy to Peaches and Sweet Pea

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:36 pm

I also have recently had problems with the rash but its like Wanda's, its caused from scratches and scratches are going to happen when you are a human tree.

However, do be careful in what you use on your hands. I noticed in one post someone said the used the orange scented hand soap. I personally don' recommend the orange or citrus. I use the dawn direct foam in the blue, but have tried the citrus and orange and almost lost two fingers recently because Martie was trying to chew them off. Each one is different and you have to try different fragrances to see which they will accept.

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:47 pm

All my little monsters generally approve anything I use that is made by Burt's Bees. But all of them have shown bad :evilbat: reactions to many other products I've had on.

When I buy something new I think I would like, I always weigh the pros & cons of should I buy it or not :roll: especially if the item is pricey. I have given away sooo many wonderful soaps and lotions because one or more of my owners had a :evilbat: reaction to it and said I couldn't keep it :(
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

fsalter53
NFSA Member

Re:

Postby fsalter53 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:04 pm

justlikeapill wrote:Hi guys, and thanks for the help! the rash is there 24/7 and does not go away. There aren't really any scratch marks, just this horrible , painful inflammation. It looks like acne. It's warm and feel feverish. I put some clindamycin on it earlier and that REALLY burned but that was just the alcohol foam lol. It doesn't itch. It's not only discoloration, but also raised and swollen. I think I'm starting to get a fever. It's also around my stomach. My son is unaffected.

actually I did try to get them out of their pouch 3 times before they bit me lol. They barked at me all 3 times. I guess pretty girls need their beauty sleep!

Hi I have 2 flyers, male and female and I have noticed the same thing just on my breats and between them and its from them and I think its just from their tiny nails, its kinda like a rash and little bumpy so Im putting neosporin on mine when I go to bed I am also hoping when I get my wodent wheel it will help their nails cut down a little, I notice if I dont wear a bra just a sports bra to give them more room its a little worse so I really think its their nails because they are clingy to my skin you know. but I like their closeness so I will deal with it some how. :lover:
SADIE ^ SAGE

fsalter53
NFSA Member

Re: Horrible rash, and biting agression problems. Pics!

Postby fsalter53 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:27 pm

these are my babies,
Sadie & Sage 114.jpg
Sadie & Sage 114.jpg (17.76 KiB) Viewed 14010 times
SADIE ^ SAGE

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:02 am

Aaaawww! So sweet. They are well worth the scratchs and rashes :D

Rockyamom
Baby Flyer

Postby Rockyamom » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:00 pm

Hi, My furball is a sweetheart around all of my girls, but when it comes to my husband...well what can I say, he gets bit everytime. I think it is somethng to so with his chemical makeup...or at least I hope so.
Also, when I go to get furball from his bed I start talking to him before I even open his cage. That way he knows that I am near and he is not startled out of a sound sleep. The more you talk to them before you get them out of their beds the better it will be for everyone's fingers.

I do have a question though. when they start getting their little fur 'balls' do they get very aggressive or do they just go on as normal. My Rocky is getting his, but he is still my little furball. He would rather stay in my bra than in his bed. Anyone have any ideas please let me know. Thanks, Alta
HOF by Rocky (sfs)
Shadow (a pomeranian) &
Petes (a green parakeet)

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:42 pm

Rockyamom wrote:... I do have a question though. when they start getting their little fur 'balls' do they get very aggressive or do they just go on as normal. My Rocky is getting his, but he is still my little furball. He would rather stay in my bra than in his bed. Anyone have any ideas please let me know. Thanks, Alta

They all are different, but males seems to have an easier time. My Chuck just got really nasty once and it didn't last long.

Rockyamom
Baby Flyer

Postby Rockyamom » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:15 pm

Thanks Ms Joan!
HOF by Rocky (sfs)
Shadow (a pomeranian) &
Petes (a green parakeet)

Rockyamom
Baby Flyer

Postby Rockyamom » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:28 pm

HALLEUJAH!!!!!!! (have probably misspelled)

I have my little furball back! No more 'furbutt'. I am so happy! I now have my snuggle buddy back. I definitely do not like this puberty phase. It went on for almost 8 months. But now I have a sweet baby again, getting all my sweet kisses again. Love, love, love it! Can't tell that I am excited can you? He still doesn't like my hubby though. It's so funny...when hubby walks into the room and realizes that furball is out of cage he gets that 'deer in the headlights look' too funny! Have you ever seen a grown man try to out manuver an flying furball with a mission...ROFL! Too funny. Hope everyone is getting extra kisses too. I am definitely enjoying mine again.
HOF by Rocky (sfs)
Shadow (a pomeranian) &
Petes (a green parakeet)

Kathy & George
NFSA Member

Postby Kathy & George » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:00 pm

Rash. I have the same thing. It doesn't matter which flyer I have on their nails and something with my skin interact. It doesn't happen to my husband. With Raider the welts get big very quick and the best thing I can do is wash with soap and water. I get the feeling it is in or on them and my skin has some reaction. I have asked many people and nobody seems to know.
Kathy
Kathy and George
owned by ROXY, Raider and Rosebud.

Return to “General”